Nitpicking!

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
Rufus T. Firefly

Re: Nitpicking!

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:38 am

hibar wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
up148 wrote:MMW seems to attract some very zealous followers, which is good for MMW. :) :) :) :) :) :)

I have yet to fully grasp why when MMW has yet to ever actually deliver a brass model. If MMW pulls this off, and the product lives up to the hype, then I can see it. Very few models have ever fully lived up to the hype.........

Actually the extensive time to get this model produced and subsequent "publicity" I believe has helped to get enough cash reservations to move the project to this stage, obviously the attention to prototype detail has helped, the trucks and gearbox castings are exceptional. While not the most popular model to produce the SD 45 and all its variants apparently has enough investors to most likely get delivered by next year, time will tell. JMO

All that has also set the bar very, very high with over the tope expectations. At this point, the slightest incorrect detail or error in the final delivered model may well set off the greatest meltdown ever seen on the internet - just as you state - time will tell.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

robert.

Postby robert. » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:51 am

Kanye west, Paris Hilton, Bruce Jenner, brittney spear, and the fat ladies who marched against trump are some pretty hard meltdowns to top
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:12 am

robert. wrote:Kanye west, Paris Hilton, Bruce Jenner, brittney spear, and the fat ladies who marched against trump are some pretty hard meltdowns to top

The White House tops all every day - just wait for it, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

hibar

Postby hibar » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:28 am

By posting various sub-assemblies Eric is not only showing progress but open to critique for any errors in detail on the models, he is obviously committed to produce the most accurate possible model, as a result some of the investors will be collectors, not necessarily dedicated 2 railers. If this project meets expectations in his newsletter he is already suggesting a limited run "super model" for the serious investor.JMO

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:00 am

hibar wrote: If this project meets expectations..........

And that's what I was writing about - those expectations are very high. Miss them by just a bit and then the feeding frenzy begins. Hype and expectations can work for and against. I've spoken with him and he seems rooted in reality, probably more so that some folks and apparently some of his customers. :wink:

E7

Postby E7 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:07 am

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:I've spoken with him and he seems rooted in reality, probably more so that some folks and apparently some of his customers. :wink:

The ones (customers) who have been overly vocal would be the ones that would concern me. I don't know or CARE much about these engines, but there are evidently MANY variations among the various road names, which makes for a mine field when considering details. Go down the road a few projects and I expect this process might become wearisome, and then there is the time factor from start up to reality. If you look at the General News tab on the MMW website, the first date is 12/30/11. Working on 6 years. Take that figure and go down the future projects list a few notches, and you better be a "young" customer, unless some of these projects are done concurrently.

up148

Postby up148 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:15 pm

E7 wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:I've spoken with him and he seems rooted in reality, probably more so that some folks and apparently some of his customers. :wink:

The ones (customers) who have been overly vocal would be the ones that would concern me. I don't know or CARE much about these engines, but there are evidently MANY variations among the various road names, which makes for a mine field when considering details. Go down the road a few projects and I expect this process might become wearisome, and then there is the time factor from start up to reality. If you look at the General News tab on the MMW website, the first date is 12/30/11. Working on 6 years. Take that figure and go down the future projects list a few notches, and you better be a "young" customer, unless some of these projects are done concurrently.

That's what bothered me on the one and only Kohs project I participated in and MMW seems to run the same game plan. The time factor to completion is incredibly long. So many things can happen to sellers or buyers during that time frame. If a buyer becomes unable to complete the transaction, for any reason, his investment is gone. If the seller is unable to complete the project, for any reason, game over and all the buyers investments are gone. I'm too conservative (and old) for that game again. Seems to be all one sided. What's the rush to complete a project if your customers are paying for the build. I'll guarantee these comments would either get the thread locked on OGR or me personally banished to the netherworld. Oh well. :D :D

BH

robert.

Postby robert. » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:28 pm

Where are they made?

big bad jim

Postby big bad jim » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:51 pm

I think comparing this to Kohs is a bit unfair, at least so far. Kohs has a well established history of taking forever to finish models, even having been in the business for a long time. Erik is still working on his first project. I would be a lot more apprehensive if it took 7 years to finish his second project, or third, and so on. I know how much longer it takes me to finish something new the first time I try it, versus each successive attempt, having invested a lot of front end time learning what I was doing. I expect that much of the first part of the six plus years for this project was spent on garnering support and establishing relationships on the supply side as well as the customer side. Presuming that those relationships remain fruitful, I would expect a much higher degree of efficiency for future projects.

Regarding the inevitable hullabaloo when the models finally arrive, I prophesy it is a clever scheme by nw2124 to build up MMW to impossible heights so that he has ample fodder to tear them down with once the models are released. Now if I could just prophesy those damn lotto numbers for this weekend.....

big bad jim

Postby big bad jim » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:52 pm

Drives are made by Erik in Chicago. He been in the machining business for years. Superstructures are being done in Korea.

RDSRR

Postby RDSRR » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:07 pm

hibar wrote:By posting various sub-assemblies Eric is not only showing progress but open to critique for any errors in detail on the models

That is one of the problems. Eric is not posting anything. It's one guy who who is defending these models to the death :mrgreen:
Regards,

Dan

The Model Railroad Resource LLC
407 East Chippewa St - Dwight, IL 60420
Voice 815.584.1577 / FAX 800.783.0127
daniel@modelrailroadresource.com / http://modelrailroadresource.com
http://oscaleresource.com/ and http://sscaleresource.com/

E7

Postby E7 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:34 pm

big bad jim wrote:I think comparing this to Kohs is a bit unfair, at least so far. Kohs has a well established history of taking forever to finish models, even having been in the business for a long time. Erik is still working on his first project. I would be a lot more apprehensive if it took 7 years to finish his second project, or third, and so on. I know how much longer it takes me to finish something new the first time I try it, versus each successive attempt, having invested a lot of front end time learning what I was doing. I expect that much of the first part of the six plus years for this project was spent on garnering support and establishing relationships on the supply side as well as the customer side. Presuming that those relationships remain fruitful, I would expect a much higher degree of efficiency for future projects.

From what I know of Erik, he is a pretty decent fellow, and he has taken on a monumental task. I agree that future projects should go smoother/quicker as there is always a learning curve. We also didn't mention the language barrier and doing business halfway around the world. Frankly, I'm amazed at how much of this stuff gets done, and how really good some of it is. I have no dog in the fight, but I wish Erik all the best and great success. What I see ultimately 'saving' the brass business is technology like 3D printing. I have always found the whole subject of brass fascinating. It is certainly not for the faint of heart as evidenced by people like Pat O'Boyle and Henry Bultmann.

robert.

Postby robert. » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:40 pm

Would you want to be relying on a product from Korea today? 2 egos 1 bomb its back to waiting 7 more years

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:03 pm

robert. wrote:Would you want to be relying on a product from Korea today? 2 egos 1 bomb its back to waiting 7 more years

Pretty sure that model trains will be rather low on the list of concerns under that scenario.

up148

Postby up148 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:03 pm

[quoteI think comparing this to Kohs is a bit unfair, at least so far. Kohs has a well established history of taking forever to finish models, even having been in the business for a long time.][/quote]

I should have been more clear in my post. I was referring to large deposit and incremental payments required by Kohs, along with the length of time to complete the project. But, also realized I don't know how much the deposit is or if MMW really does collect progress payments. I was basing my statements on hearsay. Does anyone know how much the reservation deposit is and are progress payments required by MMW? Everything is so hush, hush regarding deposits, cost and delivery. I guess you have to be a member of the club to know what it will cost you.

BH

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”