Nitpicking!

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
E7

Re: Nitpicking!

Postby E7 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:18 pm

up148 wrote:That's what bothered me on the one and only Kohs project I participated in and MMW seems to run the same game plan. The time factor to completion is incredibly long. So many things can happen to sellers or buyers during that time frame. If a buyer becomes unable to complete the transaction, for any reason, his investment is gone. If the seller is unable to complete the project, for any reason, game over and all the buyers investments are gone. I'm too conservative (and old) for that game again. Seems to be all one sided. What's the rush to complete a project if your customers are paying for the build. I'll guarantee these comments would either get the thread locked on OGR or me personally banished to the netherworld. Oh well. :D :D BH

Butch, I won't begin to dispute anything you have said as you have lived the dream with your Challenger, and we certainly won't banish you to anywhere, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: but I think we don't look at things from the Importer's view quite enough, in that the customer can hang the importer out to dry just as easily as the other way around. An up front deposit just enough to know the customer is serious might not be all that unreasonable. People (as in customers) can be fickle and impatient, and sometimes unscrupulous. I know there used to be letters of credit issued to the importer to be paid to the builder at certain points, but how much of that exists today is a good question. I suspect most bankers would laugh at you if you went to them looking for money to import brass trains. Not sure how the financing is done these days. Always two sides to a story.

big bad jim

Postby big bad jim » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:34 pm

up148 wrote:Does anyone know how much the reservation deposit is and are progress payments required by MMW? Everything is so hush, hush regarding deposits, cost and delivery. I guess you have to be a member of the club to know what it will cost you.

BH
I do know that progress payments have been required. And I think it may have even been discussed as to what percentage those payments were. I think the answer is somewhere in the depths of that original long running thread on OGR.

up148

Postby up148 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:38 pm

An up front deposit just enough to know the customer is serious might not be all that unreasonable.

I have no problem with a reasonably deposit. But, a 27% deposit up front with another 27% progress payment when it goes into production, years before the project is delivered, is my complaint. Key requires no deposit and has sold out of the AC-12's with a waiting list for any cancellations. I know importing is a tough job. I'm just saying lots of thing can happen in the world that affect a project and I'd rather not lose that much money. I can afford hundreds of dollars, but not thousands.

BH

cole7015

Postby cole7015 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:28 pm

Regarding deposits. Key and the CZ Cars long past due. Here is what I know have been told and so forth. I ask Dave D at Key one day

with all the trouble you have had to get this built. What happens if you just throw the towel in and pull out. I am committed," I have over a

half a million tied up in it." I can not walk away. I know this to be fact, and he has ask for no deposits.

He said he will finish it.

Now I think that says a lot about that importer.

I also agree with what UP 148 is saying certain importers and deposits , will just run the gaunt let. No Matter what.

Bill

hibar

Postby hibar » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:11 pm

RDSRR wrote:
hibar wrote:By posting various sub-assemblies Eric is not only showing progress but open to critique for any errors in detail on the models

That is one of the problems. Eric is not posting anything. It's one guy who who is defending these models to the death :mrgreen:

I am sure Eric is sending these pics knowing that they will get posted, I suspect like this fellow, Eric may be looking for a few more late orders, he is apparently doing quality work so the pics are a plus. As for future models if he keeps a good relationship with this builder like EMD future SD models will have a lot of the groundwork in place. JMO

hibar

Postby hibar » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:00 pm

big bad jim wrote:
up148 wrote:Does anyone know how much the reservation deposit is and are progress payments required by MMW? Everything is so hush, hush regarding deposits, cost and delivery. I guess you have to be a member of the club to know what it will cost you.

BH
I do know that progress payments have been required. And I think it may have even been discussed as to what percentage those payments were. I think the answer is somewhere in the depths of that original long running thread on OGR.

I believe the original reservations with deposits for an approximate 2300+ price were 900 +/- and Eric I understand will be asking for second deposits by May 31 when he closes reservations, the current quote is 2700+ for reservations with both payments due now. He is also accepting reservations for the SD 40-2 at 300.00 for an official reservation at this time,2800.00 is the current quote price with a "premium model" at 4200.00 [opening hood doors and modeled prime mover] for the "serious display investor", if reservations are sufficient he promises "quick" production for the SD 40-2s ,most of this info is on his current web site with exception of dollar amounts for SD 45 deposits.Anyone with more accurate info feel free to jump in !

up148

Postby up148 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:42 am

Thanks Hibar, I appreciate the info. His deposit on the (maybe) SD40-2 is in line with my thinking. The deposit and progress payments on the SD45 is just like Kohs and out of line, IMO. Maybe Erik's learned something and that's why the 2nd offering deposit is less.

$4200 for a diesel model. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

BH

E7

Postby E7 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:55 am

up148 wrote:$4200 for a diesel model. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

BH

And that's just one unit, not an A+B!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I guess you have to look at the Key Cab Forward at 7K :shock: :shock: :shock: Then it seems like a bargain! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am glad I am not a UP buff when I get to thinking about when those proposed BIG BOYS start showing up!

Rich

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:30 am

up148 wrote:$4200 for a diesel model. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Yeah. I'd rather buy a another tractor, :wink:
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

up148

Postby up148 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:02 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:

Ain't that the truth.

BH

robert.

Postby robert. » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:55 pm

IMG_6605.JPG
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:

With $4200 I'd get a tractor and someone to operate it
Last edited by robert. on Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

Big Jim

Postby Big Jim » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:01 pm

hibar wrote:Well it had to happen, posted pics of MMWs project on the big forum has fueled the "great glad hand debate, left or right" who knew, did a mfg ever offer these either way? what you can not just turn the glad hand around in the flex tube ! some posters pet peeve, just saying!

Just shows what little you know!
Try twisting your left hand around to make a right hand ("glad hand")!
Does it then look like an image of your right hand?
Didn't think so!!!
Looks like an upside down left hand. Big woo huh? Think about it!!!

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:05 pm

robert. wrote:With $4200 I'd get a tractor and someone to operate it

That's no fun. I'd want another Model-F Cub.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”