May/June issue of The O Scale Resource Magazine is out

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
RDSRR

May/June issue of The O Scale Resource Magazine is out

Postby RDSRR » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:29 pm

May/June issue of The O Scale Resource Magazine is out: http://oscaleresource.com/

News You Can Use
New Items of Interest

Chicago O Scale Meet 2017

Chicago O Scale Meet Contest Results

Baggage Dormitory Car Part 4
Bill Basen finishes his series on his building of a Texas & Pacific Baggage Dormitory Car

What Are Low-D Wheelsets?
Tad Daito tells us more

It’s Auction Time!
We pay a visit to Stout Auctions to see how train auctions work during the James Seacrest auction

Business Car Matilda
George Paxon builds a business car on the Mountain Electric Railway

Scene Around the Layout

What’s On Your Workbench

March Meet Model Contest Information

Show Schedule

Classified Ads

and so much more ... Thank you for looking.
Regards,

Dan

The Model Railroad Resource LLC
407 East Chippewa St - Dwight, IL 60420
Voice 815.584.1577 / FAX 800.783.0127
daniel@modelrailroadresource.com / http://modelrailroadresource.com
http://oscaleresource.com/ and http://sscaleresource.com/

webenda

Re: May/June issue of The O Scale Resource Magazine is out

Postby webenda » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:55 am

RDSRR wrote:May/June issue of The O Scale Resource Magazine is out: http://oscaleresource.com/

What Are Low-D Wheelsets?
Tad Daito tells us more

Thank you for heads up Dan.
Low-D demo:=> https://youtu.be/amhMVCjU2mg
Attachments
Low-D.jpg
Low-D.jpg (72.35 KiB) Viewed 4819 times
----Wayne----

Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard

Tom Dempsey

Postby Tom Dempsey » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:55 am

Just don't ask him if they're available in Proto 48, he'll refuse to talk to you for the rest of the show.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:00 pm

Molybdenum grease? Seems like more than a little overkill...

Ok, just what's in that ore car and how much weight was that?
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

Seaboard Air Line Fan

Postby Seaboard Air Line Fan » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:15 pm

I hope the brakes work!!!

Heck, I'm happy if all the wheels touch the track at the same time and rotate when the car moves :roll:
BobD aka Drifty

The Crow Flies At Midnight

GreggL

Postby GreggL » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:29 pm

Am I correct in reading the Youtube video description that the ore car is rolling down a a grade with 10" of height difference?? Also, the car looks to be loaded with nuts and bolts. They certainly do roll well, but am not sure what this proves, without seeing a comparison to other free rolling trucks and wheels such as Protocraft and especially the Grabowski P:48 wheelsets.

...gregg

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:45 pm

GreggL wrote:Am I correct in reading the Youtube video description that the ore car is rolling down a a grade with 10" of height difference?? Also, the car looks to be loaded with nuts and bolts. They certainly do roll well, but am not sure what this proves, without seeing a comparison to other free rolling trucks and wheels such as Protocraft and especially the Grabowski P:48 wheelsets.

...gregg

Point!

Heck, even my cars with Athearn trucks and IM wheelsets start rolling off on what I thought was a level surface in my shop, not even on track, :lol:
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

J. S. Bach

Postby J. S. Bach » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:43 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:Heck, even my cars with Athearn trucks and IM wheelsets start rolling off on what I thought was a level surface in my shop, not even on track, :lol:

Same here; Weaver trucks/same IM wheelsets do just as well. Most of my cars will have one of those setups.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:01 am

It's like round boiler bellies and scale models that fit the track. Everybody has to have a hangup.

I don't have a big enough test loop for axle friction to be a factor. Fourteen cars and I am done.

webenda

Postby webenda » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:33 am

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
GreggL wrote:Am I correct in reading the Youtube video description that the ore car is rolling down a a grade with 10" of height difference?? Also, the car looks to be loaded with nuts and bolts. They certainly do roll well, but am not sure what this proves, without seeing a comparison to other free rolling trucks and wheels such as Protocraft and especially the Grabowski P:48 wheelsets.

...gregg

Point!

Heck, even my cars with Athearn trucks and IM wheelsets start rolling off on what I thought was a level surface in my shop, not even on track, :lol:

"Athearn Delrin trucks are the best truck in the world, except for wheel sets. The steel cone end is not good, and the wheels are wobbly. Still, they are much better than any other trucks in rolling quality. I decided to improve Athearn trucks." --Tad Daito
Attachments
Athearn vs Low-D.png
Athearn vs Low-D.png (308.21 KiB) Viewed 4708 times
----Wayne----

Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard

up148

Postby up148 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:40 am

Yes, he is very passionate about this conversion. He's been working on this for decades.

BH

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:50 am

webenda wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:

...gregg

Point!

"Athearn Delrin trucks are the best truck in the world, except for wheel sets. The steel cone end is not good, and the wheels are wobbly. Still, they are much better than any other trucks in rolling quality. I decided to improve Athearn trucks." --Tad Daito

Easiest way to improve Athearn truck is to replace the wheels sets to IM ones. Really needs very little more than that for the vast majority of modelers.

Your chart was of Athearn Boxcars -- just because we mention Athearn trucks it does not follow that Athearn boxcars are in play. I think I only have 1 of them; my freight cars are of a wide range of sources and materials as well. What is more relevant would be the weighting of the cars and to what standards that was performed.

So back to his ore - what weight was in that? I'd have been far more impressed if he had not had to give it a goodly shove and had it just rolled off on its own. Bet I can take a hopper with my Athearn trucks, fill it with tungsten, and give it a good shove, and that it will go round and round........

Roy

Postby Roy » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:00 am

Frankly, it sounds as if this Low-D idea is to use needlepoint bearings, plus a low-friction bearing on one of the wheels(to allow for differential rolling on turns). Something I've been advocating for a while, too.
Torturers, White Racists, Gay Bashers, Rich Psychopaths.

Tom Dempsey

Postby Tom Dempsey » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:05 am

I read and re-read the article. I think the point he is trying to make is that our cars pick up a lot of drag going around corners with RP-25 wheels and that is why we generally need far more power than the trains should justify. His wheels are apparently engineered to reduce drag in turns which allows the train to be longer. He is very passionate about the whole thing, as I said, try to ask questions or bring up P48 and he'll just shut you down. But it is a wonderful exercise in engineering to solve a problem. As to whether the problem needed solving, that remains to be seen.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:53 am

Tom Dempsey wrote:As to whether the problem needed solving, that remains to be seen.

Indeed, :roll: Not one that I am faced with, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”