For Bob the Seacrest Sale Video Link

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
hibar

Re: For Bob the Seacrest Sale Video Link

Postby hibar » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:23 pm

There are 2 videos posted of the layout from last year, it appears that only a few engines were actually run as the layout was very prototype specific,considering the size of the collection I suspect collecting was the main effort of the owner. JMO

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:02 pm

Well, I tried to watch the video. Much rather just see still shots that I could shuffle through. Stopped after three minutes.

Arthur P. Bloom

Postby Arthur P. Bloom » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:16 am

I have seen fist fights almost start at York when some goober picks up a non-descript POS with his fingers on the car body, instead of by the trucks. Here is a supposed professional picking up valuable pieces with his fingers on the paint job. As a teacher of mine used to say "Who NOSE where those fingers have been?"
"I'll have the roast duck...with the mango salsa."

up148

Postby up148 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:33 am

Interesting, there is a comment from Stouts below the video defending how they handle model trains and that they've sold millions of dollars in the past. Funny, it sure doesn't look that way.

BH

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:47 am

up148 wrote:Interesting, there is a comment from Stouts below the video defending how they handle model trains and that they've sold millions of dollars in the past. Funny, it sure doesn't look that way.

Surely doesn't. Seems like a good way to lose potential customers, too. But they are the experts................. :roll:

I'm waiting for the Mods there to step in a remove all the criticism, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:47 pm

Yeah. I wondered how that survived.

It really would be fun to have a slide show of Jim's collection. I should have suggested it to Jim - he could easily have hired a photo crew. I thnk I would pay money for a CD slide show. I could not make it through very much of the video.

cole7015

Postby cole7015 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:04 pm

well you would think the video would be removed and burned. It just plane sucks
for a business mode of operation. Did I mention to fire the idiot to. Ops he must be related.

Bill

Big Jim

Postby Big Jim » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:35 pm

This video showed up on the OGR Forum and it blew up in the guy's face! I guess with all of the comments about the mishandling of the items, they couldn't take the pressure and pressed the panic button and the video and the admonishing posts went poof! I couldn't believe how the guy picked things up with one hand and waved them around like a baton. Just flopped cars on their side to view the bottom, stuffed open items on shelves with boxes rubbing the sides and boxes sitting on top of items. Absolutely no care taken at all!

If I had ever considered buying something from Stout Auctions, I won't now. And, I will instruct my children never to use this house if they decide to sell my collection after I pass away!

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:32 pm

Big Jim wrote:This video showed up on the OGR Forum and it blew up in the guy's face! I guess with all of the comments about the mishandling of the items, they couldn't take the pressure and pressed the panic button and the video and the admonishing posts went poof!

Surprised it lasted as long as it did; made some of the remaining posts a little out of place now.

Anyway, little if anything of interest to me - lots of hype and 20% on top - a complete waste of time.

Better opportunities for me last weekend in Chicago, although I was able to exercise considerable restraint -- I have many years of projects stacked up for me to work on. Unfortunately, Bill Davis did not bring his massive assortment of trays of detail parts to Chicago so I'm placing orders, paying full retail, and paying for shipping charges now......
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

Chris Webster

Postby Chris Webster » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:10 pm

The first 400 lots are now posted on Stout's website: Auction: April 8th, 2017 The Incredible O Scale Collection of James Seacrest Part 1

Check out the damage visible in Lot 1108: Pair of Overland Models O scale Southern tuxedo F7 A-A diesel locomotive pair Both units have wheels knocked out of alignment -- notice how the axles in each truck are not parallel to one another -- the truck sideframes appear to be bent, #6110's pilot appears to have been bent upward and it is missing its nose lens, and the nose decals are damaged on both units.

I also noticed some pretty mangled handrails on Lot 899: Overland Models O scale two rail brass OMI-0298 Alco S-1 diesel locomotive switcher unpainted

Also interesting was the use of a rubber band to hold the truck in place on Lot 980: NJ Custom Brass DE-127-0 Union Pacific Alco S-4 1000 HP. diesel locomotive. The handrails are pretty mangled on that one too -- see the last photo.

I'm not interested in most of the the collection, so I only viewed some of the diesels.

E7

Postby E7 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:40 pm

Chris Webster wrote:The first 400 lots are now posted on Stout's website: Auction: April 8th, 2017 The Incredible O Scale Collection of James Seacrest Part 1

Check out the damage visible in Lot 1108: Pair of Overland Models O scale Southern tuxedo F7 A-A diesel locomotive pair Both units have wheels knocked out of alignment -- notice how the axles in each truck are not parallel to one another -- the truck sideframes appear to be bent, #6110's pilot appears to have been bent upward and it is missing its nose lens, and the nose decals are damaged on both units.

Looking at the auction lots, I notice missing pictures, misidentified items and misinformation in general. For example, the above lot (1108) is NOT an F7 diesel pair, but an F7 and an F3. Maybe they should try reading the labels on the boxes.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:27 am

I think we need to regroup. What is happening here is a family - none of whom give a fig for trains - is trying to convert a huge pile of stuff into money, the easiest way possible.

The auction house does not get paid to handle stuff carfully or get descriptions right - they get paid to move stuff rapidly. Buyers can either bid this stuff into the stratosphere or not - nobody at the auction house cares. If you see something you really like, low-ball it and cross your fingers.

Opinion.

Erik C Lindgren

Postby Erik C Lindgren » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:34 am

Your right Bob

E7

Postby E7 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:42 am

bob turner wrote:I think we need to regroup. What is happening here is a family - none of whom give a fig for trains - is trying to convert a huge pile of stuff into money, the easiest way possible.

The auction house does not get paid to handle stuff carfully or get descriptions right - they get paid to move stuff rapidly. Buyers can either bid this stuff into the stratosphere or not - nobody at the auction house cares. If you see something you really like, low-ball it and cross your fingers. Opinion.

Would you still feel that way if it was YOUR stuff that was being auctioned?

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:33 am

My stuff is probably going in the dumpster. I will not feel a thing. They are going to scatter my ashes on the airport, and ashes do not give a fling about trains. Or even airplanes.

Yes, I would really like my cab forwards in a museum, but none of the ones I am a member of are in the least bit interested, except in what they would bring at auction.

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”