For Bob the Seacrest Sale Video Link

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
robert.

Re: For Bob the Seacrest Sale Video Link

Postby robert. » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:25 am

Here are some results from a local auction. Most of it is orange boxes. http://alderfer.maxanet.com/cgi-bin/mnl ... tegory/ALL
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:53 am

Alderfer!!!

Now there's a name from my distant past; used to regularly attend auctions being done by Sanford Alderfer.......
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

robert.

Postby robert. » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:17 am

About 3 months ago an employee bought it.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:39 am

robert. wrote:About 3 months ago an employee bought it.

Is Brown Brothers still in business>
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

robert.

Postby robert. » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:03 am

Yes. Auctions evey Saturday. You can't get near the place or in the door. It's a mad house. You can preview them on line

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:23 am

robert. wrote:Yes. Auctions evey Saturday. You can't get near the place or in the door. It's a mad house. You can preview them on line

Used to be a staple for us - split into 2-3 bidders and follow all around until we camped out for the long haul about the middle of the seating - Ken Brown was an auctioneer that was reasonably fair to us.

Chris Webster

Postby Chris Webster » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:46 pm

Chris Webster wrote:The first 400 lots are now posted on Stout's website: Auction: April 8th, 2017 The Incredible O Scale Collection of James Seacrest Part 1
The realized prices are now shown under each item.
Check out the damage visible in Lot 1108: Pair of Overland Models O scale Southern tuxedo F7 A-A diesel locomotive pair Both units have wheels knocked out of alignment -- notice how the axles in each truck are not parallel to one another -- the truck sideframes appear to be bent, #6110's pilot appears to have been bent upward and it is missing its nose lens, and the nose decals are damaged on both units.
Sold for $675.
Sold for $525.
Also interesting was the use of a rubber band to hold the truck in place on Lot 980: NJ Custom Brass DE-127-0 Union Pacific Alco S-4 1000 HP. diesel locomotive. The handrails are pretty mangled on that one too -- see the last photo.
Sold for $325.

I "watched" (had it open on my computer) part of the auction as it was happening. I was really surprised how many bids were coming in from the internet. I was also surprised by some of the results. The first few Key E-units went for about $500/each (two for $500/each, another two for $550/each, and $975 for a pair); I assumed there would be more of a price differential between those and the plastic 3rd Rail FP7 that sold for $450.

I also figured that $275 for Lot 963: O scale brass two rail custom Burlington 4-6-4 4000 class steam locomotive was the steal of the day.... but then I looked closely and saw that it was an 0-6-4.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:04 pm

What do you suppose it would bring if Stout had known it was a Bernie Corbin?

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:50 am

aterry11

Postby aterry11 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:55 am

Devil's advocate here. Who is Bernie Corbin?

up148

Postby up148 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:52 am

Did the prices shown as final realized $$ include Stouts fee's, sales taxes, etc. or do you still need to add that on top? I don't see many bargains without adding fees in just a quick view of the 1st page. But, if fees and taxes have to be added to the numbers shown on the final $$$'s, I see very few items that I consider a good buy, even if I was interested. I'm sure checking all the pages could show different results.

But, from what I see, it just shows me what I experienced at most actions I attended decades ago is still valid. You might find something you want, but you're going to pay normal prices and maybe even higher, unless is falls through the cracks like the Bernie Corbin loco.

BH

Chris Webster

Postby Chris Webster » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:09 am

up148 wrote:Did the prices shown as final realized $$ include Stouts fee's, sales taxes, etc. or do you still need to add that on top?

I don't think so -- when I was watching it live, the winning bid amount became the realized price.
I don't see many bargains without adding fees in just a quick view of the 1st page. But, if fees and taxes have to be added to the numbers shown on the final $$$'s, I see very few items that I consider a good buy, even if I was interested. I'm sure checking all the pages could show different results.

I don't think there were any bargains, but I wouldn't really know since I don't collect brass. The few items I was interested in went for more than similar pieces have sold for via regular ebay auctions.

Anyway, the auction house did exactly what Bob T. said they were supposed to do -- they moved stuff rapidly and I think they got more $$$$ for it than if it had been disposed of using just ebay.

Erik C Lindgren

Postby Erik C Lindgren » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:34 pm

I think The folks at Stout Auctions did a fine job with the Seacrest collection. As you can read for yourself I've made no comments saying anything else; this is a big job and a lot of work. I am very happy I was able to get some meaningful pieces back. Thank you Stout Auctions. Fantastic work Stout Auctions.

up148

Postby up148 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:03 pm

I went back for another looksee over lunch and I stand corrected on my original post. Many items did being what I thought was high $$$, but there were some very good buys to be had as well. I guess typical auction.

Except for the KEY UP E-8's and E-7's, which still brought a little less than I would expect, many of the other KEY diesels sold for a steal. When you can buy a last run E-8 or E-9 for $500-700 each or a ABBA set of the latest FT's for $2000, those are good prices. The Wasatch cars sold for wholesale money IMHO, except for one or two dome cars that brought retail and the 2 baggage cars which were an absolute steal at $450 and $725. Typically they are the hardest to find and bring the biggest $$$. But, you never know when that high dollar market gets saturated. I think all in all Mr. Davis did okay on the group and I expect they are already sold.

I'm totally blown away at the Pacific Limited cars and what they bring. They must be some very accurate and beautiful cars as they always bring big bucks.

BH

hibar

Postby hibar » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:04 pm

In one of the earlier posts it was mentioned that the realized price went to the consignee, I find it hard to believe that the auction house would get only the 16-18% premium. Considering the time to inventory and price the collection plus traveling to the original location of the collection and moving it back to the Auction house, it seems the consignee would be in for additional fees. I assume shipping to buyers reflects the auction house labor and shipper charges, just curious!

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”