Chicago Show, Who's Going?

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
RDSRR

Re: Chicago Show, Who's Going?

Postby RDSRR » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:57 pm

No better LP then Islands. Many don't like it but I still listen while modeling... and other things :lol:
Regards,

Dan

The Model Railroad Resource LLC
407 East Chippewa St - Dwight, IL 60420
Voice 815.584.1577 / FAX 800.783.0127
daniel@modelrailroadresource.com / http://modelrailroadresource.com
http://oscaleresource.com/ and http://sscaleresource.com/

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:40 pm

up148 wrote:That's really outstanding. They've been around since the late 60's and had to have some member changes. Seems to be hard to keep a style or sound of an original band for as long as they've been around.

A huge number of personnel changes, but 1 constant - Robert Fripp - one of the most innovative and talented guitarists still alive and making music at age 70(I think).

They have also never really worried about keeping a "sound", but they surely have an identity, :mrgreen:
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:43 pm

RDSRR wrote:No better LP then Islands. Many don't like it but I still listen while modeling... and other things :lol:

Islands is quite the divergence in sound for Crimson, but still very good, and very unique.

I was always a fan of Red and Starless, but everything from the 80's on is worth every second you listen to it.

Newest live release will be extensively listened to tomorrow....

Then again, I have spent the entire year so far listening to Van der Graaf.............
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

up148

Postby up148 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:49 pm

Lot's of great music to be heard if you look for it. I've always leaned towards New Age since it 1st got a name put to it back in the early 80's. Lot's of creative musicians in the early days that set the ground for a lot of others to follow. Whenever I got new speakers or receivers during days past I always migrated to one or two special albums or DVD's to check out the dynamic range and how faithfully the system could reproduce the sound. Flim & the BB's DVD "Big Notes" is an audiophiles dream for testing equipment with the cut "Hands Down" just a killer. They are Contemporary Jazz which is a long way from King Crimson, but good music is good music regardless of the genre. I like a lot of styles.

BH

E7

Postby E7 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:33 am

New Age.....Used to listen to Hiroshima a bit, back when. No place to hear anything of New Age ilk on the radio around here. Pretty much of a wasteland.

Rich

up148

Postby up148 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:46 am

Yeah Rich, I'm in the same boat here. Old Rock and Roll which is fine and then new BS music which I think mostly sucks.

But, luckily I indoctrinated my son early on to this genre of music, actually all music and he keeps me up to date on his new discoveries. He's really into good movie soundtracks as well and has a great library. He purchased me a couple of SONOS remote speakers and an IPOD Touch that I can download my DVD's onto and play them back through the SONOS speakers. Has made working in the hobby room and the garage a whole lot nicer as I love music.

BH

E7

Postby E7 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:53 am

Butch,

My biggest lament is there was a local "Contemporary Jazz" station around for about 3 years. Really great while it lasted. I heard a lot of good new artists on that station. Now the internet (You Tube) is a good source. I've also found "Live at Daryl's House" Daryl Hall of Hall and Oates to be a good source of New Artists. Here's a good example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unoYkG3EUwc

Rich

rrjjf

Postby rrjjf » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:55 pm

Unfortunately, because of the latest storm to hit the East coast, my property was iced in until this afternoon and I will not be attending the meet this year.

Joe
Joe Foehrkolb

E7

Postby E7 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:03 pm

That's the main problem with having events at this time of year. No sweat for those who live nearby, but a real potential for problems for they who have to travel loooooong distances. I attended many a Winter event participating in another hobby, and it didn't take long for the lousy weather to get REALLY OLD! Add to the possibility of bad weather, a 11 hour drive, and it makes NOT going really easy.

Rich

stephen neill

Postby stephen neill » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:19 am

Joe - Sorry to hear you won't make it. I drove from central Texas, 22 hours spread over 2 1/2 days and am now sitting in the lobby of the hotel playing on the puter. Cold and sunshine all the way up. Real nice in Chicago. For those who are coming and didn't fess up, I will have a table with my cel # on it, call and let's say hello.
Steve

E7

Postby E7 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:36 am

Steve, You are way more dedicated/persevering than I! :D It took me until yesterday to dig out enough to get in and out of the house! Be sure and give us a report or two! Hope you have a GREAT show!

Rich

Carey Williams

Postby Carey Williams » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:05 pm

Hello all
The March Meet is great ! Come on out to a sea of O scale.
Stop by to check out the early O scale
Cheers Carey
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.97 MiB) Viewed 4197 times

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”