A Lesson in Custom Drives / A Lesson in Humility

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
R.K. Maroon

Re: A Lesson in Custom Drives / A Lesson in Humility

Postby R.K. Maroon » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:35 pm

The three CLW drives that Bob describes are the ones more commonly seen. There is indeed a fourth version, cast with rounded corners:

Cast Round-Top CLW Gearbox.png
Cast Round-Top CLW Gearbox.png (268.98 KiB) Viewed 3510 times

I imagine this is a brief intermediate step between the squared-off version and the plastic (nylon?) version that is ubiquitious.

Dedicating one or two of my OST columns to early CLW is on my bucket-list. Discussing the drives will be part of that.

I will inspect the bi-polar as time allows and report back.
Jim
Slow progress is better than no progress

stephen neill

Postby stephen neill » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:57 pm

Not trying to be snotty or show anybody up, just trying to keep the record as straight as I can. I've worked hard on O scale history for a long time because I like it and want to know it and have gotten lucky a number of times.

The NW-2 was General Models but never Atwater; the only thing General Models got from Atwater was the F units. The NW-2 was originally a CLW Brass unit, I have a couple. Somebody please tell me if I am wrong on any of this.
Steve

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:09 am

stephen neill wrote:Not trying to be snotty or show anybody up, just trying to keep the record as straight as I can. I've worked hard on O scale history for a long time because I like it and want to know it and have gotten lucky a number of times.

The NW-2 was General Models but never Atwater; the only thing General Models got from Atwater was the F units. The NW-2 was originally a CLW Brass unit, I have a couple. Somebody please tell me if I am wrong on any of this.
Steve

Okay, history timeline. CLW was 47 or 48, right? The GM NW was 48, right?
Yet, all the bronze NWs I have seen (few) have had AN drives, usually straight cut gears.
Are you saying Bob Smith made the bronze NW2 and never marketed it as CLW with his drives, even though he had done the PA with his drives?
Notice the question marks.
Dave....collector, restorer, and operator of the finest doorstops

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:04 am

I sure am not an expert. I was quite surprised to learn that CLW produced the same NW -2 as All Nation. Intermediate steps? I have no idea. I am sure Steve is correct.

stephen neill

Postby stephen neill » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:23 am

Dave - The first CLW MR ad was January, 1947, but Bob did a few things before that. GM's first MR ad was November, 1947.

While Bob was developing his NW2, GM came out with theirs; I believe this was 1949 or 1950. Bob never had more than a few sets of the castings, the project was terminated. It is a long story for another day.

I have at least one built up and a set of the castings; the ones I have are brass. I know there is not a lot of difference, but if you ever see another bronze one, please take some pictures.

They're out there, but only a very few. And yes, if you find one that is built up it will most likely have an AN drive.

Steve

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:45 am

I have three. Major difference is no radiator on top of hood. Otherwise, they could be out of the same dies.

up148

Postby up148 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:45 am

Hi Jim,

I totally agree on pulling the plug on your 1st auction and wouldn't feel guilty at all. A DC re-power is a major expense and not to list it that way is a major omission, that you didn't know. Hi steam locos were noted for running right and lasting forever. Looking forward to Part 2 and let me know when you relist it.

Butch

Wolf

Postby Wolf » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:24 pm

R.K. Maroon wrote:And now part two, the lesson in humility:

Here is a photo of a Custom Brass Milwaukee Road Bi-Polar electric locomotive:

Custom Brass Bi-Polar.jpg

The original drives are "Lionel-like" in that a vertical motor drives one axle through a worm and a spur-gear chain powers the other drivers:

Custom Brass Bi-Polar Drive.jpg

The prototype had twelve driver sets in a 1B-D+D-B1 wheel arrangement. As can be seen, the model only powers the D+D portion of the drive. The drives are functional but not known to be strong pullers.

These models seem to be fairly common, so seeing one on eBay is not that big a deal, and in fact one of these was the second locomotive I ever bought when I entered the hobby. But I am a fan of Milwaukee Electrics so I tend to look at every one that gets listed. One came up some time back and there was nothing in the description of particular interest, certainly no mention of a custom drive. But I thumbed through the photos and there it was:

Bi-Polar Custom Drive.JPG

A custom drive! It appeared to be a good installation, probably CLW gearboxes, and all drivers were powered. This was a no-brainer: I bought the one with the custom drive and sold the one I had with the stock drive. I did not break even on cost but the difference was small enough to make the custom drive a bargain. Here's the top view of one half:

Bi-Polar Custom Drive 02.png

I couldn't tell from the bottom shot in the auction listing, but the modification included replacement of the thin bent-sheet chassis frame with a solid machined frame -- a very pleasant discovery and quite the bonus. The drive itself is not a Jay Criswell deluxe but it's beautiful to me. I may with more practice be able to achieve this level of quality but I am a long way from it today.

I'm guessing you can see the lesson in humility coming here. I was very pleased with myself for noticing the presence of the custom drive, and it was hard not to shake my head at the idea of somebody having a custom drive and not even knowing it. Sooooo......fast forward to this week, and here I am on the other side of that equation, selling a locomotive with a custom drive and not even knowing it!.

It reminds me of a line from a song: It's much better to be humble than to have a big hat size

Hmm...it goes better with the music, but I am guessing you get the point.

Humble Pie Jim

Was I the only one who noticed that there seems to be a second one of these "upgraded" MILW EP-2 Bipolars out there, judging from the pictures
posted on the Stout Auctions site for the April 6th (Seacrest Part 6) auction? Lot 400 looked to me to have the same improved drive as the one
Jim mentioned in the thread above, so I bid on it. When the auction dust settled, the winning bid was $950, plus the usual buyers premium. :shock:
Makes me wonder how many more of them are floating out there!
Take care,
Wolfgang

Jay Criswell

Postby Jay Criswell » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:37 pm

Wolf,

You bringing that monster to OSW?

Also, looking through some old notes I see you were looking for parts to go with a BC Models car. Lark I believe.

Still need them?

Jay

Wolf

Postby Wolf » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:10 pm

Jay--
You said not to bring the one I want you to work your magic on, at least
not until we nail down some more specifications. It is a "standard" stock
NJ Custom Brass model with the "Lionel-like" drive train.

I looked at the one on Stout's and noticed that the underside looked
identical to the one that Jim found on eBay....be interesting to know how
many of those are really out there, now that we know of two (unless Jim
sent his off to Stout Auctions to gain some money for some more doorstops :lol: ).

Still need the lounge section carbody parts for the BC Models SP Lark triple-unit.
Forgot whether it was Dan's Train Depot or Trainz who split up that articulated car
into 2 pieces...and then offered them in two different auction lots on eBay where they
aggregated 6-7 cars in each lot. I ended up winning the Kitchen-Dorm and Diner
sections (including all 3 of the trucks! :D ) but got outbid by some other buyer
on the other lot with the Lounge section...guess they must have wanted some
other car(s) in that lot as that auction ended later than mine.

Sometimes eBay sellers can do some mighty strange (and stupid!) things! :roll:
Take care,
Wolfgang

Wolf

Postby Wolf » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:11 pm

Wolf wrote:Jay--
You said not to bring the one I want you to work your magic on, at least
not until we nail down some more specifications. It is a "standard" stock
NJ Custom Brass model with the "Lionel-like" drive train.

I looked at the one on Stout's and noticed that the underside looked
identical to the one that Jim found on eBay....be interesting to know how
many of those are really out there, now that we know of two (unless Jim
sent his off to Stout Auctions to gain some money for some more doorstops :lol: ).

Still need the lounge section carbody parts for the BC Models SP Lark triple-unit.
Forgot whether it was Dan's Train Depot or Trainz who split up that articulated car
into 2 pieces...and then offered them in two different auction lots on eBay where they
aggregated 6-7 cars in each lot. I ended up winning the Kitchen-Dorm and Diner
sections (including all 3 of the trucks! :D ) but got outbid by some other buyer
on the other lot with the Lounge section...guess they must have wanted some
other car(s) in that lot, as that auction ended later than mine.

Sometimes eBay sellers can do some mighty strange (and stupid!) things! :roll:
Take care,
Wolfgang

Jay Criswell

Postby Jay Criswell » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:29 pm

Wolf,

Whatever you want to do works for me. I'm easy (today).

Jay

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”