Scratch Building #6 Turnouts (was Trout Creek/BK Enterprises Turnouts???

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
Seaboard Air Line Fan

Scratch Building #6 Turnouts (was Trout Creek/BK Enterprises Turnouts???

Postby Seaboard Air Line Fan » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:49 pm

Anybody used these?:

http://www.troutcreekeng.com/bko.html

What can you tell me about them? They have a #5 "assembled" turnouts, sounds like what I want.

BobD
Last edited by Seaboard Air Line Fan on Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BobD aka Drifty

The Crow Flies At Midnight

bob turner

Re: Trout Creek/BK Enterprises Turnouts???

Postby bob turner » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:11 pm

Scale switches are "different". There is always a straight section starting roughly just before the frog.

The first thing you should do is try to make your own. A frog is easily made with a belt sander - just bend the rail to the angle you want minus 180 degrees, sand it flat, then fold it over and solder it. Guard rails are even easier.

Thirty bucks is not bad - it probably takes an hour to put together a kit like that - and then you have to pack it and ship it.

The purchaser then gets to spike it down, which is about 2/3 of the actual work.

Another idea is to check with Jay - Right-O-Way has some stunning castings in nickel silver.

Robert

Postby Robert » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:24 pm

Hi Bob, I haven't personally used these but I'm pretty sure the assembled turnout would come complete but might require some fiddling and gaging to get it ready for use...your use to ready to run turnouts...this will be a change but will get you to the same end result once you learn to adapt it. Also it likely will come without ties but there available elsewhere...see the link I put in the Loop Mentality post. Considering that you use battery power your not concerned with gapping the turnout for DCC usage...so a turnout like this might be right up your alley. You could indeed build your own using parts available in that link I reference above. That is Jay Criswells new website for the Right-O-Way line of turnout supplies and other thing. He is a member here.

Robert

Seaboard Air Line Fan

Postby Seaboard Air Line Fan » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:19 pm

Robert, I looked at Jays sight but didn't see a #5 frog in code 148, an omission perhaps?

BobT, I thought maybe starting with a semi-kit like these would be good for a beginner, having the hard work mostly done. Once I see what they look like then I could roll my own 8)

I like the thickness of the ME ties, much thinner than the Gargraves, Ross, and Atlas 3-rail stuff I have.

BobD
BobD aka Drifty

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:41 pm

I think a #6 is about as small as they get in 2-rail scale. However, you might look at European track. I think Peco had an incredibly sharp turnout.

Jay Criswell

Postby Jay Criswell » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:06 pm

Nope, no #5 in code 148. The way it was explained to me was, 148 is primarily used for mainline service and a #5 wouldn't be used (even a #6 is questionable). We have #5s in 125 and 100 which are supposed to be for branch line and switching where a #5 would be more appropriate. Is all of this valid? Not if the buyer wants a 148 #5. Not the first person looking for one either.

Jay

Seaboard Air Line Fan

Postby Seaboard Air Line Fan » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:03 am

Still pondering what to do. OST has an article on building turnouts in the Jan/Feb issue #60 which I just found so I need to read that. Looks like a bunch of jigs are needed (or some steady hands!).

I need to determine who's product will allow hi-rail wheels to pass thru, rolling my own my by the only option.

BobD.
BobD aka Drifty

RDSRR

Postby RDSRR » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:58 am

On page 55 of the May/June 2014 O Scale Resource http://oscale.uberflip.com/i/296151-may-june-2014
I also walk through building your own switches using Jay's frog casting. It's not hard and will save a lot of money. It also allows you to build to a situation and not being forced into a stock switch.
Regards,

Dan

The Model Railroad Resource LLC
407 East Chippewa St - Dwight, IL 60420
Voice 815.584.1577 / FAX 800.783.0127
daniel@modelrailroadresource.com / http://modelrailroadresource.com
http://oscaleresource.com/ and http://sscaleresource.com/

robert.

Postby robert. » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:50 am

I have the old Atlas turnouts. they show up on ebay for $6-12.00 each. They cause hi rail wheels to bump up and through the frog. I think you could change this. It might be possible to melt a set of wheels through the frog. Heat them up and push them through. sand , file and make everything look nice again. Or maybe a thin hack saw blade could be run back and forth through the frog to cut a deeper groove. Keep in mind i have wasted a lot of money to save a few bucks.
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

Robert

Postby Robert » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:29 am

Okay gang I have to add my thoughts regarding #5 switches, and there practicality for general use. This is mostly for Seaboard Air Line Fan since he is now confronted with track choice decisions. If one has limited space, and for 1/4 scale that's most of us, one has to apply some careful consideration when such items as switches are factored into the track planning. A #5 certainly uses less space than a #6. A # 5 will never be the high speed mainline switch especially for large power and longer cars. But most equipment will operate through such switches at slower speeds. I have used many # 5 turnouts and purposely do not lay them with the curved route as part of any mainline. They have never been a limitation and have allowed me to create good operational patterns.
Bob D...these three photos show some of my track work...especially the # 5 switches. These photos show the evolution of the one scene on my railroad from first track laid in 2006 to present ten years later.

Robert

O scale trackwork.JPG

Local-4.JPG

Trackwork!.JPG

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:31 am

RDSRR wrote:It's not hard and will save a lot of money. It also allows you to build to a situation and not being forced into a stock switch.

I have been saying this for years...... Maybe a few more actually explore and learn the truth.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

robert.

Postby robert. » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:50 am

Looks like I lied about the price. Someone got real lucky with a set of 4 of the Atlas turnouts. $214.00. On eBay.
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

Jay Criswell

Postby Jay Criswell » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:14 pm

BobD,

Just to be clear (or, at least my feeble attempt at it), the frogs offered by Right-O'-Way are not meant for 3r flanges. The flange ways are no where near deep enough. Deepening them might help but it would be a lot of work. Building your own might be the best solution.

As a side note, I find the attached videos to be very helpful, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYJl-a0 ... J0Vct_4_a1 Chris does an outstanding job of explaining how he hand lays track. Nice plugs for R-O-W too.

Good luck,

Jay

Seaboard Air Line Fan

Postby Seaboard Air Line Fan » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:24 pm

Thanks Dan for the link, I knew I had seen something in OSR just couldn't remember which issue.

Robert, FANTASTIC!!! And nice photos too 8)

Martin...all this work, you're gonna make me give Joe F a call to convert my engines aren't you?!?!?! Maybe I can sell off my 3RS diesels to pay for the conversions :idea:

Thanks Jay for the heads up, I may have to take your ROW frogs and deepen them if I don't find a fix.

Who makes wood ties that are the same thickness as the ME plastic ties? I haven't measured them yet but will shortly.

BobD
BobD aka Drifty

Jay Criswell

Postby Jay Criswell » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:27 pm

Right-O'-Way sells ties. Let us know what dimensions you come up with. If we can help......great!

Jay

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”