OGR Alan Big al Arnold strikes again

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
bob turner

Re: OGR Alan Big al Arnold strikes again

Postby bob turner » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:01 pm

Sometimes the only truly interesting stuff on NK is when 2124 gets going. There are always a few folks who will call him out before the censors clean it all up. He is obviously ok with spending thousands of dollars on a single locomotive, and keeps hoping for absolute perfection. I actually admire his faith in the evanescent MMW production.

I think they locked his thread with the strange title about the best model ever built, when he really meant the best model ever proposed to be built. I think that is a loss - first, it was fun to consider a perfect model for under four grand, and second, it was fun to watch the give-and-take.

And once in a while they would present actual technical information.

If 2124 had started the thread here, it would still exist. And if Erik had stuck with us, as he promised a while back, we would know what it was that upset him so much, and maybe we would have had the chance to defend him.

E7

Postby E7 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:55 pm

up148 wrote:But, in general, posting photos and true opinions concerning recently delivered models can be dangerous business on that forum. Few of these threads remain open for very long. Sad, because honest criticism of real issues with a new model might just help us to get better models down the road. BH

Agreed. One thing that I still can't believe no one jumped on, was that in the ads for Sunset/3rd Rail E7's (at least some of them) the engine pictured was a New York Central version with a passenger pilot with coupler doors. That pilot was a distinctive feature of the as built units of many, many roads (particularly Eastern). Did they not even look at their own ads? I find messing up something of that magnitude pretty much unforgivable.

Rich

E7

Postby E7 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:19 pm

bob turner wrote:Sometimes the only truly interesting stuff on NK is when 2124 gets going.

What is interesting about a bunch of ranting and raving?

bob turner wrote:There are always a few folks who will call him out before the censors clean it all up. He is obviously ok with spending thousands of dollars on a single locomotive, and keeps hoping for absolute perfection. I actually admire his faith in the evanescent MMW production.

If one is seeking absolute perfection, it might be wiser to order from "Models by Mandrake"

bob turner wrote:I think they locked his thread with the strange title about the best model ever built, when he really meant the best model ever proposed to be built. I think that is a loss - first, it was fun to consider a perfect model for under four grand, and second, it was fun to watch the give-and-take.

Once again: What is interesting about a bunch of ranting and raving?

bob turner wrote:And once in a while they would present actual technical information.

Thank God for small favors!

bob turner wrote:If 2124 had started the thread here, it would still exist. And if Erik had stuck with us, as he promised a while back, we would know what it was that upset him so much, and maybe we would have had the chance to defend him.

All this and more in the next episode of "As the Forum Turns" :mrgreen:

DeBruin

Postby DeBruin » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:11 am

cue Hammond B3...... ".......We invite you to tune in tomorrow for the next episode of...
"The Edge of Wetness"

Actually agree with Rich; do get a little bent with importers/manufacturers using photos of prototypes with features like specialized/custom pilots (coupler covers or those slotted NYC early E7 pilots for example) and then delivering a generic version, like - "hey you're three rail guys, you don't care."
Not true for two or three railers anymore is it? Maybe its caveat emptor but truth in advertising used to be regulated/law; for me those kind of "announcements" are bait and switch.

BTW , as a bottom feeder I do like OGR when there's a string about low end Cheap-O stuff like Atlas F9's (good one over there right now)
Opinion, but some newbie posts a question like that here (how to lubricate an Atlas F9 etc) and often as not they'll likely get ignored or worse-
their question is crapped on with something approximating the "buy the P&D drive-chassis" comment or something along the "Roco is junk" line.
Helpful? doesn't answer their question, think a lot of guys here a grateful that posts like that stay over there.
Just sayin'

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:39 am

E7 wrote: What is interesting about a bunch of ranting and raving?

The amazingly poor command of the English language that takes place therein is worthy of a pancake or 3.....

.........but back to my original premise - laugh at him and take the high road; if children want to throw tantrums they are best ignored or when on the internet, put to their best use - entertainment........

Taking any of this seriously is 3 rungs below my rearranging my sock drawer.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:45 pm

My point, exactly. Best, though, to steer slightly to the left of personal attacks.

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:35 pm

bob turner wrote:My point, exactly. Best, though, to steer slightly to the left of personal attacks.

um....you mean protest in the streets, leave the country, and refuse to take your exams?
Dave....collector, restorer, and operator of the finest doorstops

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:30 pm

That's a thought. I of course meant just avoid, but couldn't resist throwing my pinko orientation in there. I am actually scared of Mexico, and find Canada too darn cold; I shall stick it out.

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:36 pm

bob turner wrote:That's a thought. I of course meant just avoid, but couldn't resist throwing my pinko orientation in there.

which is why I threw that on the campfire....
Dave....collector, restorer, and operator of the finest doorstops

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:50 pm

You have to admit - we live in interesting times.

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:03 pm

DeBruin wrote:cue Hammond B3

BTW , as a bottom feeder I do like OGR when there's a string about low end Cheap-O stuff like Atlas F9's (good one over there right now)
Opinion, but some newbie posts a question like that here (how to lubricate an Atlas F9 etc) and often as not they'll likely get ignored or worse-
their question is crapped on with something approximating the "buy the P&D drive-chassis" comment or something along the "Roco is junk" line.
Helpful? doesn't answer their question, think a lot of guys here a grateful that posts like that stay over there.
Just sayin'

I had the opposite treatment when I first found the forums.
I "found" the OGR forum first because it was advertised in the magazine.
Next was the CTT forum for the same reason. I asked questions on both forums and was told that had already been answered or ignored.
I don't remember how I found MTJ but I have always been glad that I did. I asked some questions and within a short period of time i got
answers that were actually useful. I'm sure that tsome members regret I have been here ever since. Maybe the change in membership
in the various forums has caused a change in answers given to questions.
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

Seaboard Air Line Fan

Postby Seaboard Air Line Fan » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:45 am

I joined this forum 1 month after joining OGR back in 2004.

To be honest, I didn't like the remarks posted on this forum about OGR, I recall once that almost every topic on the 1st page was about OGR. I even made a comment about it and said I would rather see topics about actual modeling than topics about topics (on OGR). To tell the truth, that's still a valid statement, but there's more topics/discussion here on what really matters to me than over at NK (yeah, I said it :lol: ).

But DAMN...Some of the idiotic topics, posts, and comments over there have FINALLY gotten under my skin. Also, there's some "Holier than thou" individuals there that just can never be wrong and expect everyone to take what they say as gospel.

Example, I was told running battery-powered, remote-control would not work on these amp-eating engines we have, that a 3amp circuit board would not work. Well, for 1-1/2 years I have proven them wrong.

There's other things that have made me rethink why I posted there, but I won't go into them now. Let's just say I'm more comfortable over here now and enjoy reading what you guys have to say.

BobD
BobD aka Drifty

The Crow Flies At Midnight

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:59 am

Seaboard Air Line Fan wrote:To be honest, I didn't like the remarks posted on this forum about OGR, I recall once that almost every topic on the 1st page was about OGR. I even made a comment about it and said I would rather see topics about actual modeling than topics about topics (on OGR). To tell the truth, that's still a valid statement, but there's more topics/discussion here on what really matters to me than over at NK (yeah, I said it :lol: ).

At one time there were quite a few modelers that posted actual model RR'ing topics over on OGR - almost zero now.

I frequently mention the lack of model RR'ing topic here as well, but it seems that discussing overpriced listings on eBay are more entertaining.

But DAMN...Some of the idiotic topics, posts, and comments over there have FINALLY gotten under my skin. Also, there's some "Holier than thou" individuals there that just can never be wrong and expect everyone to take what they say as gospel.

When those folks moved, the modelers departed.......

Example, I was told running battery-powered, remote-control would not work on these amp-eating engines we have, that a 3amp circuit board would not work. Well, for 1-1/2 years I have proven them wrong.

Ed Reutling is probably having a good laugh at the know it all naysayers.....

There's other things that have made me rethink why I posted there, but I won't go into them now. Let's just say I'm more comfortable over here now and enjoy reading what you guys have to say.

Well, let's see some more modeling posts! :lol:
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

Seaboard Air Line Fan

Postby Seaboard Air Line Fan » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:14 am

Well, let's see some more modeling posts!

Got me :oops: !!! You recall that woodrack you sold me...I still haven't put any decals on it yet.

I have a couple coming up though, just waiting on interior parts for the 10-6 Pullman, the Walthers coach, and the ARA 1932 boxcar. Doesn't look like I'll get them before Christmas so these will be next year's projects. Plus I'm thinking about hand-laying a 2-rail turnout :shock:

I better get going before my daughter and family return from Sicily in April, they'll be staying with me until they find a house, could take a while.

Oh, and Ed R would have busted my chops for spending so much $$$ on my conversions to battery.

BobD
BobD aka Drifty

The Crow Flies At Midnight

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:25 am

Seaboard Air Line Fan wrote:....I'm thinking about hand-laying a 2-rail turnout

After you do the 1st one of two, you'll realize just how easy they are to do and wonder why you ever bought pre-fab'd ones.

Oh, and Ed R would have busted my chops for spending so much $$$ on my conversions to battery.

Yeah, you should have made all the parts yourself from salvaged supplies from old electronics that you scavenged at night from the trash that the neighbors were putting out to be picked up.....but I'm not who would have bailed you out from the pokey, :lol: :lol:

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”