Walther 9175 Coach?

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
Rufus T. Firefly

Re: Walther 9175 Coach?

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:59 pm

Seaboard Air Line Fan wrote:Sure was cool when I was in the hobby though and learned a lot about WWII that I didn't already know.

Any market for that stuff? Finance some O scale items that you might use and clear the floor a bit? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

Seaboard Air Line Fan

Postby Seaboard Air Line Fan » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:15 pm

I doubt there is for the vehicles. There is a guy in WVa that buys collections so maybe I can unload some of the figures. I'm keeping some, mostly pilots and tankers to display.

I was thinking about donating the vehicles and some of the soldiers to the War Museum over in Newport News, but may hold onto them and let my grandsons blow them up!

I was just looking at some medieval knights and samurai figured, these things are going for $180 and up now :o , and we think O scale trains are expensive.

I need to stick to one hobby and I've decided it would be trains. I already have a set of golf clubs and get to play free where I work, so all I have to do is buy balls and tees.
BobD aka Drifty

The Crow Flies At Midnight

Seaboard Air Line Fan

Postby Seaboard Air Line Fan » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:06 pm

Took a break from building turnouts and thought I'd try to get something going on this coach.

I've temporarily attached the floor, ends, and roof with the screws provided:

DSCN0850_672.JPG
DSCN0850_672.JPG (245.06 KiB) Viewed 4000 times

Still a lot to do, but I've run into something with the instructions I can't seem to understand.

Here's both pages of instructions:

page 1.jpg
page 1.jpg (2.42 MiB) Viewed 4000 times

page 2.jpg
page 2.jpg (1.71 MiB) Viewed 4000 times

I'm having trouble understanding what needs to be done with the steps. The instructions say to cut a recess for the doors and a bevel for the platform steps:

step closeup.jpg
step closeup.jpg (397.62 KiB) Viewed 4000 times

Don't understand the bevel. Seems like I need to cut a fairly large spot out of the floor so the steps can bee seen, or should they not be seen?

It appears they're glued to the underneath of the floor (I thought they were going on top of the floor!).

Hope that's clear to everyone.

Also, they mention the U750 Removable Roof Kit. Included appears to be 2 lengths of angle that are glued/soldered to the sides, I think to give them strength.

The ends have 2 wood screws going into the floor ends and 1 wood screw (above the door opening) going into the roof end. I would think all I need to do is glue/solder some angle to the sides to stiffen them and use the screws already there to keep the roof in place and so I can take it off when I need to. The sides will be glued to the side of the floor, so the only wobbly area will be at the top and an angle on each side should be enough.
BobD aka Drifty

Seaboard Air Line Fan

Postby Seaboard Air Line Fan » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:42 pm

LOL!

After looking at Pete's photo of his car I see what I need to do to the steps.

I think I'm going to try just the angles at the top of the sides and see if using just the 2 wood screws to hold the roof on will work. If not I can always add the necessary bits to make the roof removable.
BobD aka Drifty

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:12 pm

I am barely successful with non-removable roofs. I suspect you will need draw screws coming up from the bottom to hold the seams tight.

Those steps - just do trial fits until they look ok. Most of ine are open vestibule, so I have to carve the entire floor to match the step pattern. Consider using Martin's glue trick and small nails.

sleepmac

Postby sleepmac » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:05 pm

Bob, what is "Martin's glue trick"? If is is Goo and CA, I've been using that these past few years since I came across it described. I even used it on my automobile's outside rearview mirror to keep it on. 'Course if if Martin's glue is different, I'm all eyes!!

Dan Weinhold

Seaboard Air Line Fan

Postby Seaboard Air Line Fan » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:29 pm

Ditto on what Dan said...not sure what Martin's method is at this point.

While I wait I thought I'd start figuring out where the seats go. I have a drawing of the real car but the Walters kit is not quite 100% on the mark, so I have to fudge them in. They'll be close if my calculations are correct.

I'm using some MTH trucks and have to trim a boss down so the car doesn't ride too high and still mate with the height on my other cars.
BobD aka Drifty

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:41 pm

sleepmac wrote:..."Martin's glue trick"......

A film of Goo on the porous of the 2 surfaces and CA (medium viscosity) on the non- or lesser-porous surface. Mate the 2 together correctly the 1st try and let interaction proceed; usually a very strong and very rapid adherence.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

sleepmac

Postby sleepmac » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:59 am

Martin, thanks again for that tip.

Dan Weinhold

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:12 am

sleepmac wrote:Martin, thanks again for that tip.

Dan Weinhold

Just takes a light touch with the tube of Goo and not a squeeze, :mrgreen:

aterry11

Postby aterry11 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:47 am

Bob D., The bevel is so you don't see the wood floor under the Vestibule door. Ruf's glue trick will glue metal to tile and hold, but you must get it right the absolute first time! I have had a side frame soaking know for awhile in acetone and no love on the release yet. Maybe another month, surprised the plastic hasn't dissolved yet.
I use Bobs epoxy from now on to adhere sides to the floor and it is holding well through 2 years of basement ups and owns in Temp and humidity.
I have had excellent results with the Testors green for placing roof details on the Heavyweights and about three coats of sanding sealer usually makes a nice smoothness. Good luck on your car.
Attachments
Walthers car hints 002.JPG
Walthers car hints 002.JPG (389.56 KiB) Viewed 3924 times
Walthers car hints 005.JPG
Walthers car hints 005.JPG (413 KiB) Viewed 3924 times
Walthers car hints 004.JPG
Walthers car hints 004.JPG (414.01 KiB) Viewed 3924 times
Walthers car hints 003.JPG
Walthers car hints 003.JPG (430.4 KiB) Viewed 3924 times

Seaboard Air Line Fan

Postby Seaboard Air Line Fan » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:59 pm

Thanks Terry!

I look around at all the chemicals we use and I'm surprised we all don't wear hazmat suits (Martin might, I expect he has access to them) while working on our models :lol:

I think once I glue the sides to the floor, and add some stiffening angles to the top edges, that I can use the wood screws in each of the ends to keep the roof in place. If not I'll try the method BobT recommended.

But first I want to finish installing the interior.
BobD aka Drifty

Seaboard Air Line Fan

Postby Seaboard Air Line Fan » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:35 am

Got a question:

Do I, should I, cut this shiny thing off the bottom of the ends?:

IMG_0089.JPG
IMG_0089.JPG (1.03 MiB) Viewed 3885 times

I'm using Kadee 746 long shank couplers. The shiny thing isn't in the way of the coupler box, but it is making it hard to measure for the shim required to get the coupler height correct and may interfere once the shim and box are in place.

The shiny thing is part of the end casting.
BobD aka Drifty

aterry11

Postby aterry11 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:51 am

Bob D. you can use a small file and increase the openings size. Takes about 10 minutes an end, several cleanings of the files. The pic shows the ones I did and the beveled edges where the steps go . These are from before I reformatted the camera so I apologize for giant Pictures :wink: :wink: :wink:
These cars are a reshop from a rusted box of twelve I bought on the bay 5 years ago. No need to reformat Yeah!!!!!
Attachments
whats on my workbench 002.JPG
whats on my workbench 002.JPG (1.64 MiB) Viewed 3878 times
whats on my workbench 001.JPG
whats on my workbench 001.JPG (1.63 MiB) Viewed 3878 times

Seaboard Air Line Fan

Postby Seaboard Air Line Fan » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:20 am

Thanks!

Funny thing... I posted the photo of the end using my IPad and it looks fine when I view the post, but when I viewed it on my PC it's sideways :?

So I leave the shiny thing (thought it might have been the spot where they poured the metal in) with the number embossed on it on and ensure the coupler functions as it should.
BobD aka Drifty

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”