Walther 9175 Coach?

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
Seaboard Air Line Fan

Walther 9175 Coach?

Postby Seaboard Air Line Fan » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:12 pm

Didn't want to totally hog Pete's (DeBruin's) topic on the GSL Steam Roster with my questions about these Walthers cars so I thought I'd start a new topic on them. Just for reference, here's a link to the posts on the GSL topic:

http://www.modeltrainjournal.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16523&start=15

I got the kit from Jack McGarry at Allegheny Scale Models, a Clerestory Roof from MicroMark, and a pair of 2-rail MTH trucks from MB Klein.

I only have a couple of heavyweight cars, but I've noticed the pivot point on all of them (2 and 3 rail) is not centered with the middle set of wheels, there's about a 7/16" offset. Is this prototypical or is this a model manufacturing thing? The only other heavyweight trucks I have are K-Line and one other pair of MTH trucks, all are offset. The pair I just bought from MB Klein are the same style as the trucks Pete has on his car.

Here's the thing that's bugging me...the kit calls for trucks centers of 13" (52 scale feet). The Seaboard diagram of the ACF car says the distance between center wheels is 56'-4-1/2" (14-3/8"). If I mount the bolsters at 13" and turn the trucks so the 7/16" offset on each truck is pointed in the opposite direction, then the center-to-center distance will be 13-7/8", or 55'-6". That's 1 scale foot too short.

Overall I guess it's not a biggie, and the thing to do is start the build and see if the trucks can be placed as per the SAL diagram, as long as they don't interfere with any of the undercarriage that should work.

Suggestions please!

BobD.
BobD aka Drifty

The Crow Flies At Midnight

bob turner

Re: Walther 9175 Coach?

Postby bob turner » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:19 pm

Just make the trucks look right with respect to the vestibule steps. You will never see a quarter inch difference in the wheelbase, but you will see a giant space between the truck and the step casting.

Most O Scale six wheel trucks have the mounting hole offset so you can put a screw in there. You cannot tell when they are operating on curves - at least not on curves broad enough for 20" cars.

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:53 pm

Thinking back to when I did this.

If you put the pivot closer to the end beams, the end overhang (and coupler offset on curves) is less.
If you put the pivots more towards the center, the side overhang is less (to clear switch stands and machines).
Dave....collector, restorer, and operator of the finest doorstops

Seaboard Air Line Fan

Postby Seaboard Air Line Fan » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:34 am

Thanks folks! :lol: , it never occurred to me that the middle axle would interfere with inserting a screw if located dead center :oops:
(now to get that Pliobond!!!)

BobD
BobD aka Drifty

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:47 am

Seaboard Air Line Fan wrote:.......... a Clerestory Roof from MicroMark, ......

Suggestions please!

Let me know if you need another one - I'm a lot cheaper than MicroMark, particularly when I'm clearing out my shop a bit, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

aterry11

Postby aterry11 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:37 am

One of youse guys here turned me on too, North Eastern Scale supply? Very fine celestory roof blanks and wood componets for modeling structures and Trains. I believe they are the ones who supply micromark. Their paneling and belt rail is perfect for the Yellow Kid that wants me to build it. Its the interior of the cares that scares the begesus out of me and some of the fine pinstriping on the trucks.
Bobs pliobond has worked well here in ever changing Humidity and temperature land known as Nebraska the BC models I glued has lasted 2 years of changes in a basement so far.

Thanks again to all the help from Youse guys here. :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:02 pm

aterry11 wrote:One of youse guys here turned me on too, North Eastern Scale supply?

Probably me - when they resurrected production the roofing they had a stack of it at one of the Nat'l NMRA conventions way discounted so I wiped them out

Very fine celestory roof blanks and wood componets for modeling structures and Trains. I believe they are the ones who supply micromark.

Probably so, but they do not produce the more modern passs roof. No loss to me and I have enough of the various freight roof woor to last me fro many years.

What I can not find except by chance at meets, etc. is the clerestory roof for traction cars - narrower and not just taking some out of the middle as that will not match the correct profile.

Their paneling and belt rail is perfect for the Yellow Kid that wants me to build it. Its the interior of the cares that scares the begesus out of me and some of the fine pinstriping on the trucks.

That belt rail stuff is something I do need to lay in some stock of for the future. The Yellow Kid waits and waits and eventually I'll just clear the entire bench and dive into that project.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

Seaboard Air Line Fan

Postby Seaboard Air Line Fan » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:07 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
Seaboard Air Line Fan wrote:.......... a Clerestory Roof from MicroMark, ......

Suggestions please!

Let me know if you need another one - I'm a lot cheaper than MicroMark, particularly when I'm clearing out my shop a bit, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Should have thought about emailing you Martin, sorry.

I had to come here and relax...just got a new printer and it took 3 hours to setup on my XP desktop, WIN10 laptop, and Ipad. It's what they DON'T tell you that becomes the obstacles :roll: :shock: :x

The kid at Best Buy said the new printer (Epson WF-2760) wouldn't work with XP, but that's the ONLY one I didn't have trouble with. Maybe XP is too dumb to know it's not suppose to work!

So now I have potentially 3 projects in the works:
1) This Walthers coach, I think I have everything to get started
2) Installing the Delta Models interior in the OK Engines/USP hybrid 10-6 sleeper, once I get word on when it'll be completed
3) The Rails Unlimited SAL boxcar, Ted said his "guy" that puts the bodies together wasn't available but he had one in kit form. I told him that would be fine but I haven't heard back yet.

That should be enough to get me thru the winter.

BobD
BobD aka Drifty

rex desilets

Postby rex desilets » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:47 pm

Rufus said:
What I can not find except by chance at meets, etc. is the clerestory roof for traction cars - narrower and not just taking some out of the middle as that will not match the correct profile.

Their paneling and belt rail is perfect for the Yellow Kid that wants me to build it. Its the interior of the cares that scares the begesus out of me and some of the fine pinstriping on the trucks.

That belt rail stuff is something I do need to lay in some stock of for the future. The Yellow Kid waits and waits and eventually I'll just clear the entire bench and dive into that project.

Try Keith Wiseman for trolley roof stock

Thought you were going to build up LaBelle kits for the Yellow Kid. Anyway, there are lots of photos of ToC varnish that you could use; I *think* I may have somewhere some info on YK interiors.
UPDATE: Arthur Dubin's "Some Classic Trains" has exterior and interior photos of the Broadway Ltd and the Yellow Kid.
Ralph Barger's "A Century of Pullman Cars; Vol II The Palace Cars" has floorplans of, I think, all the cars of the YK, but finding the plans in the infinity of drawings will be mucho tedious.
“Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.” – John Adams

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:37 am

rex desilets wrote:Rufus said:

Try Keith Wiseman for trolley roof stock

Really!?! I would not have thought of him as a source for traction related supplies.... Next time I see him I'll have to remember to inquire.

Thought you were going to build up LaBelle kits for the Yellow Kid. Anyway, there are lots of photos of ToC varnish that you could use; I *think* I may have somewhere some info on YK interiors.
UPDATE: Arthur Dubin's "Some Classic Trains" has exterior and interior photos of the Broadway Ltd and the Yellow Kid.
Ralph Barger's "A Century of Pullman Cars; Vol II The Palace Cars" has floorplans of, I think, all the cars of the YK, but finding the plans in the infinity of drawings will be mucho tedious.

That remains the plan. But to do that I will want to build them all in parallel as opposed to in a piecemeal linear fashion and that will require my entire main bench and probably the 2 secondary ones at times. That then puts all other projects on hold. I don't know that I can actually focus on a single project.........

rex desilets

Postby rex desilets » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:03 am

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:<snip>
I don't know that I can actually focus on a single project.........

That's a hazard many face. But-should someone release a proper D-16 inspiration might dawn :wink:
“Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.” – John Adams

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:07 am

rex desilets wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:<snip>
I don't know that I can actually focus on a single project.........

That's a hazard many face. But-should someone release a proper D-16 inspiration might dawn :wink:

or even an E3......

Seaboard Air Line Fan

Postby Seaboard Air Line Fan » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:47 pm

The instructions for this car say to use a "U750, Removable Roof Kit".

I haven't looked but I suspect it will be hard to find.

How do you guys make your roofs removable?

To complicate things I'm using a Clerestory roof I got from MicroMark, which has to be modified so the ends will fit.

So far I haven't done anything but stare at the box-o-parts :roll:
BobD aka Drifty

Seaboard Air Line Fan

Postby Seaboard Air Line Fan » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:55 pm

I did notice that Scale City Designs has them (old Keil Line), but what a funky way to attach the roof. I'll have to come up with something better.
BobD aka Drifty

Tom Dempsey

Postby Tom Dempsey » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:46 pm

Build a thin (1/8") ceiling at each end, place the roof, drill through the roof into the ceiling, install a dowel in the roof with glue that just enters the hole in the ceiling, sand smooth. When the paintin's done, it won't be noticable but it firmly places the roof while maintaining removability for repairs and upgrades to the passenger compartment. It's the only thing I've learned how to do on my interurban adventure that has worked out so far!

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”