Paint Shop

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
De Bruin

Re: Paint Shop

Postby De Bruin » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:28 pm

Thanks Guys. Robert, as a tad I developed a fascination with the NH as it was often featured in children's books on railroads , thanks in part to McGinnis's relentless use of public relations promotions etc. Visiting the NY area for the 1964 World's Fair our Dad took us down to the Larchmont Station to watch the evening parade of MU's and FL-9 powered passenger trains, and as a bonus a long freight behind a pair of orange EF-4's. As Jim will confirm, we were hooked for life.

The P-Company (thanks Mr Badsen) X-42 is indeed a beautiful finely detailed model, one of five belonging to long time fellow club member Joe Grillo from OKC; we also painted one in the early scheme with the small circle keystones, and two in the later large white keystone with shadow scheme. I'll see if I can locate photos of those too. Interestingly there were only 10 of the prototypes built. The model posted here wears a passenger scheme from a builders or company photo and one I have not ever seen in actual in-service shots.

That early PRR scheme you describe Terry is a chore to apply; you're braver a man then I. I do intend to build the modernized version of a D78 for my Pennsy train, but I'll probably use another one of the popular Walther's 9115 kits as the basis, if/when I can find one or at least the sides. Lack the patience, skill and the will to tear up a good brass car body, especially where resistance soldiering is required (unlike Bill for example)

The B60 sports the dark grey and orange "World's Fair" scheme the LI adopted in the mid-early sixties; roughly around the time the MP-72's were delivered. The "Dashing Dan's" were the common version applied to most of the fleet's car ends, while I believe the "Weekend Chief" version of the heralds were sported by some of the Heavyweight Parlor Cars used on the Cannonball and Sundowner schedules to Montauk. Both heralds are available in O from Island Model Works. Per Art Erdman the LI's PR department also created a "Dashing Dottie" to keep Dan company.

Terry I don't believe Jim has made any more progress on the COLA project as he's been heads down restoring an OM Y3a, refurbishing a long string of stock cars, and building new modules for the DFWOSM club layout.
Pete
Litigation Crisis Consultant- remediating legal-media issues; mitigating federal, state and local investigations, court orders etc. Your serial felony history, contractual defaults, bankruptcies no big deal.
contact morbo@getoffthehook.com

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:48 pm

“Sherman… set the Wayback to 1994”
After the Chester rebuild, I started a diesel car-body project that mandated an Easter egg hunt for detail parts. I store them in bins now, but used to have to keep them in the boxes of their intended projects/carbody/model etc. Sure enough, a veritable harvest of forgotten stuff recovered, thus cheating the good folks at P&D, Des Planes Hobbies etc. from more duplicate purchases of the same, something I do with alarming frequency these days. One of the boxes in the larder yielded this guy; one of my oldest surviving 2-rail models that maybe hasn’t seen the light of day in 20 years.

Sadly damaged by heat exposure in storage, but still serviceable after repairing the end tower drive shaft. Bought all the add-on details “off the rack” at P&D’s store while opening an area warehouse for my company in Detroit(actually Livonia) back in 1994. I made an inventory of the parts beforehand based on the prototype photo and voila’ they had them all. A most satisfying and educational experience at the time that included cutting out the big roof fan molding and installing a real screen and blade. The prototype is actually an RS2 and sports the blue scheme the CNJ adopted in the hopes that the B&O would buy them, which of course didn’t happen. I still REALLY like these old made-in-the-U.S. Weavers; very affordable and easy to detail, still enjoy that Cheap-O Roco and AHM stuff too.
Pete
Litigation Crisis Consultant- remediating legal-media issues; mitigating federal, state and local investigations, court orders etc. Your serial felony history, contractual defaults, bankruptcies no big deal.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:42 am

I always liked the RS - mine are all Kemtron.

Robert

Postby Robert » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:34 am

That's a beauty in my opinion...in fact I never saw an RS I didn't like. I have one from NJCB and it is in my "get to it" stack for now. I too shopped some pieces from P & D when they were out my way for the O Scale Nat's in Worcester. Will be an enjoyable project one of these winters.

Robert

Strummer

Postby Strummer » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:14 pm

De Bruin wrote:“Sherman… set the Wayback to 1994”
still enjoy that Cheap-O Roco and AHM stuff too.
Pete

That's a great post...and a fine looking Alco. I recently picked up a 3-rail model which, thanks to the good people at NWSL, was able to convert to 2 rail, just as God and Alco intended. :)

Speaking of "Cheap-O Roco and AHM"...

IMG_20170102_153556257.jpg
IMG_20170102_153556257.jpg (848.81 KiB) Viewed 6742 times

I've always had a thing for German stuff; the first issue of Model Railroader I ever bought (May 1969) had a short blurb in the "New Releases" column mentioning this loco. Something about it appealed to me, and was able to finally score this one (and 2 passenger cars) on eBay this past December. It didn't run, but I had a couple of motor/gear sets from a Fairbanks Morse model that turned out to be drop in replacements. It has the same self-contained powered trucks as the FM. (Think a very primitive version of NWSL's "SPUD".) It actually runs very well, and is surprisingly quiet. Since this photo was taken, I have upgraded the hand rails and tried to detail some around those HUGE couplers.

Tons of fun...

Mark in Oregon

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:05 am

Excellent Mark; I’ll see your DB 216 and raise you a FS E444 “Taratuga.” I’ve always had a thing for Italian stuff (see “Basement full of Carcanos.”) When Roy Hill, late member of the DFWOSM, bailed on O scale back in the nineties after G scale exploded commercially he sold off all kinds of AHM he had in his stash for dirt cheap; I couldn’t resist this one; thinking I could kit bash it into a AEM-7 or some such which mercifully (for a change) didn’t happen before Atlas did theirs. It’s a good runner too, maybe it’s the turtle on the side of the far cab, but I can’t bear to tear this apart, it’s just too cool. Need to find it a home. My experience is the AHM drives have zero durability for pulling anything substantial in weight/rolling resistance, but can cook around nicely when trailing styrene car-bodies with delrin trucks. I have a train of the same specifically earmarked for them and other like “snow flake” factory drive equipped models.

Roy was a fascinating guy, a professional model builder for LTV in an entirely different galaxy in fabricating scale models from “scratch” or employing/”bashing” commercially available made kits and products. When I last visited him before I moved to Atlanta in ‘97 he was building to order RGS Galloping Geese in G scale and R/C USN PT Boats and Kriegsmarine E-Boats. Ironically this link popped up from one of my club members today, as I was reading it reminded me of Roy’s technique and creativity. Some guys really get the kit bashing shells thing down.
http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node ... page=1#new>

Strummer

Postby Strummer » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:41 am

That is one very cool loco; if you really "need to find it a home", all I can say is Oregon is a nice place... :)

FWIW, as I obtain a piece of Euro rolling stock now and then, I've been replacing the stock wheel sets with Weaver/Athearn items; they roll much nicer, and with the RP25 flanges look better, too! I'm finding the Lima wheels are often slightly "out of round", and are almost always tight in gauge. The Rivarossi, not so much.

That fellow Roy was indeed a master builder; just incredible. Thanks for posting that link.

Mark in Oregon

PS: "snow flake" factory drives? I'm not familiar with that term...

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:45 pm

That time of year again when my friend Joe Grillo from OKC visits Atlanta with paint and decal projects; this past weekend it was an IMP wagon top boxcar, a Berkshire Car Shops white metal OB Electromobile kit for a Queensborough Bridge Railway car and an Overland AB set of RF-16 sharks. I’ll post the Electromobile work once I correct the orange paint portion which wound up too “hot” as in red(doh!) but here’s the A unit.
You'll note knocked off cab step stirrup, awaiting reattachment. Paint’s a mix of old and new Scale Coat, decals from a Champ Blue Ribbon Alco set, with a spare from an EMD remnant set (correct size nose herald specifcally) Only had time to get the chassis painted, bodies dropped on and into the light tent for photos before his departure, here's the B-Unit.
The Overland’s are indeed factory detailed for NYC having the additional nose grabs and ladders; but specific to the later re-shopped cigar band version and not the factory delivered one that these sported lightening stripes. Not my decision.
I regret not grabbing some photos of their drives for you; they're unusually robust looking for OMI having dual flywheels per unit, u-joints and short transfer boxes, in stark contrast to the factory delrin tube to domino tower dreck seen on some of their models.
Finally for comparison the cab unit with a factory(PRC) Weaver FA2 and one of my AHM C-Liners; the later prominently displaying the yellowing Rufous cites with regard to Testors Dull Coat, as in “exhibit A” 10 years plus after application.
Pete

J. S. Bach

Postby J. S. Bach » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:23 pm

[quote="De Bruin"]Excellent Mark; I’ll see your DB 216 and raise you a FS E444 “Taratuga.” I’ve always had a thing for Italian stuff (see “Basement full of Carcanos.”) ...snip... It’s a good runner too, maybe it’s the turtle on the side of the far cab, but I can’t bear to tear this apart, it’s just too cool. Need to find it a home. ...snip...
...snip... /quote]
I have two of those. I took them apart and cut the floor/chassis apart so that one was two-motored (wired in series, did not want/need a Tokaido at the Tractioneers! :mrgreen: ) and that made them great runners; eventually both were going to get All Nation drives but money reared its ugly head and the project got shelved. Oddly, both survived the recent move to Chester and were actually together when they surfaced last year.

R.K. Maroon

Postby R.K. Maroon » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:24 pm

Nice work, Pete. I noticed in the three-unit lineup that the striping pattern is different for all three. I had not noticed that before (but am not a NYC fanatic), so it was interesting to see.

Jim
Slow progress is better than no progress

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:13 pm

Thanks Jim, it was quite a chore to get them masked, painted and decaled in the four day window we had but the Heat Lamp helped a lot. Next up a B&O wagontop in the express scheme. Sorry for the photos, this one got out of the basement before we could get it into the light tent, so Joe grabbed these with his phone after the fact.
An IMP wagontop car body salvaged from a show bargain bin; had a thick old heavy bxcr red enamel and grey primer that had to be dipped off then sand blasted. Used the same auto-primer as applied to the Sharks. Finish coat, rather than blow it on with the gun, via 6oz spray can of Scalecoat I (#1037 B&O Blue) from MinuteMan. First time I’ve use MinuteMan’s version and was quite pleased with the quality, so much so that I will use it again on two L&N HW’s in the queue. The decals are Champ and Microscale remnants. Aside from the tack board being in the wrong location, I think it gets the look of these somewhat obscure (and small class) of express cars.

texas&pacific

Postby texas&pacific » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:58 pm

Beautifully done restoration and principled re-build to follow "intent and form". Thanks for sharing the New Haven coach story. :D

sarge

Postby sarge » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:21 pm

Pete:

You have me cracking into my pile of "someday" repairs, now.

I did a rebuild of the workshop, so now various projects are wandering through. Although the main focus is UK stuff, I still like specific US outline projects.

The Alco's of my 1st hand memory are always fun, the bigger the better. This was a very beat-up Overland C628, handrails absolutely mangled, lots of poor joints, pretty typical earlier Ajin product. Bought cheap with the idea of getting to it one day, so no better day than today what with the new shop environs:

c628_1.jpg

c628_2.jpg

The GE is a modern China-drive Atlas; oddly enough the two run quite well together.
No-one ever forgets where they buried the hatchet.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:34 pm

Last edited by Rufus T. Firefly on Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:14 pm

Thanks for the comments guys
T&P, again I was seriously going to do my "usual thing" with that Chester coach and rebuild it as a pre war Pere Marquette PS (a far closer match to the orginal kit) but again the more I understood all the effort "Florida Guy" but into it I just couldn't re-do it any other way (I'm kind of "sappy" like that)

Sarge, really nice looking Century; I'm surprised it mates up well with your (guessing) atlas U23B almost as much as the fact you still have some leftover postwar US projects like that to play with. I can assume you have a suitable caboose to go with that power set? (as in more stuff we like to see....)

Rufus, I'm still working on the Electromobile; we had it up to the orange lower body application and screwed up and applied a bad shade of Testors (too hot-too red) The whole shebang got stripped, re-primed, and is currently drying its white coat. Going to have mask and mix a suitably yellow-orange coat to finish the paint and decal up. I will post a photo when that's is complete, though we'll have to wait for the complete car as I'm sending the body back to Joe who's going to finish the glazing, mount the trucks and power it up. I believe he may present a clinic on it at the SW O Meet in Ft Worth in October. You have to see the jig though he used to assemble those body castings with, receiving some expert assistance from Ed Bommer on it as understand. Pretty cool.
Pete

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”