Paint Shop

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
DeBruin

Paint Shop

Postby DeBruin » Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:56 am

So, some current car body projects extruded from the “Temple of Radon”

1st a Chester modified to pass as a Osgood Bradley post war NH coach, built back in the fifties just before getting its sides removed stripped n’ dipped. I will restore this car to its original builder’s vision albeit cleaner and sans mold after being stored for thirty odd years in a damp barn in Florida.

2nd A X-42 in the dulux passenger scheme , one of five cars done in three different schemes.

3rd A NJ International B-60 rendered in the 1964 LI scheme , sans letterboard. This one vexed me as the Ink Jet Decal process lacked the white background necessary to render a sufficient bright orange letterboard, solid color was just too dark (a waste of time.)

Jay Criswell

Re: Paint Shop

Postby Jay Criswell » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:57 pm

Jim,

I'm probably mistaken but, the first model sure looks like a BC Models car.

Are the sides aluminum or tin plated steel?

Jay

DeBruin

Postby DeBruin » Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:00 pm

It's aluminum; I figured it was a Chester because it had the undetailed end plates, unlike the BC-M's which have those great, stamped car ends with the rivet detail. Regardless the sides are cooking off in the dip tank; I'm going to have to sand and seal the roof but will leave the rest of the car as is as it has a surprisingly well done interior.

roscaler

Postby roscaler » Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:36 pm

Hi Jim, Were you able to use 7 ft doors on the X-42? If so where did you get them?

Ron Dettmer

Jay Criswell

Postby Jay Criswell » Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:49 pm

Jim,

I wonder if the BC ends would match up satisfactorily.

Jay

DeBruin

Postby DeBruin » Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:04 pm

The X-42's were brass imports; I don't recall the importer, they were imported unpainted but are otherwise as manufactured.

The BC-M ends would work on most Chesters, however in this case car's appearance is based on those Osgood Bradley post war lightweights the NH owned and it has tapered rood ends. I will likely cut and detail my own car ends. I'll post it when I'm finished.

Pete (Jim is Maroon)

Jay Criswell

Postby Jay Criswell » Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:31 pm

Pete,

Oh yeah, you're right!

Jay

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:53 pm

Following up on that Chester Car; I know very little details about Chester Industrial Arts of Chester PA other than their adverts in MR etc. starting in the late forties through approx.1955, offering pre-war PS plan composite kits like BC Models but with some significant differences. Whereas the “classic” BC-M kit included beaucoup white metal car and under body parts and other details; the Chesters were austere deals as seen here.
Basically sides, wood and floor stock with some additional wood structure pieces and rectangular end plates that mounted between the rood ends and attaching to the floor ends to provide a smooth mounting surface for the “stock” sponge full width diaphragms. The sponges often discarded and the ends covered with BC-M stampings or some-such which adds to the confusion in tagging these correctly as they’re resold, the sides also different possessing nine flutes below the window belt line, without alternating indentations, significant but subtle, and rolled and stamped from aluminum sheet and quite soft. Finally the assembled car is dimensionally “big” along side most 1/48 models and I believe straddles 17/64 though is not quite as large as Pomona Valley.
Back to the car (above now restored as opposed to rebuilt) one in a three car lot Jim snagged on da‘bay from a good size estate group listing in Florida about 8 years ago. The car bodies had been long stored in high heat and humidity and were covered inside and out with black mold. I disassembled, bleach washed and packed them away. When I finally got around to this guy, I realized it was not a standard Chester in that it had been modified significantly to resemble the iconic postwar PS Osgood-Bradley NH streamline coach; distinctive cars that as a group possess the unique feature of tapered roofs, giving the whole fleet a rather European appearance. Furthermore rather than assemble the kit as-is the original builder (I’ll call him “Florida Guy”) machined a pair of Walthers-like ends out of aluminum stock.
So rather than do my usual “polish the turd to a facsimile of the prototype” I basically decided to restore the car to Florida Guy’s vision of what the car should look like. Jim’s “archeology” approach apparently rubbing off here as the fluting would never be correct anyway, the car had a beautiful albeit primitive detailed interior that matched the actual builders floor plan and photos to a ‘T’ sans the bathrooms, basically too cool to gut. Retaining that interior was a trade off though as all the white metal chairs were attached with steel screws(one per set) with roughly 20 lead passengers randomly distributed, so despite the under body devoid of details the weight of the car is absurd. More to follow after I shoot it in a consist on track world.
Pete
Litigation Crisis Consultant- remediating legal-media issues; mitigating federal, state and local investigations, court orders etc. Your serial felony history, contractual defaults, bankruptcies no big deal.
contact morbo@getoffthehook.com

Erik C Lindgren

Postby Erik C Lindgren » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:44 pm

Awesome post thank you guys

cole7015

Postby cole7015 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:27 am

The X 42 is a P Company import, which is an outstanding model. They did this and another car PRR type.

then the disappeared from importing.

Bill

R.K. Maroon

Postby R.K. Maroon » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:30 pm

There is something ironic in a model of a streamlined lightweight passenger car that qualifies as a doorstop by virtue of its weight. Can't wait to "feel of it" myself (as they say down south) .

Pete -- I noticed you changed the paint scheme from the original. If I understand it correctly, these cars had more than a few paint schemes over the years. What era is this particular scheme?

Jim
Slow progress is better than no progress

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:18 am

Here’s the other side of the car.
Jim correctly pointed out my “restoration” did not extend to Florida Guy’s original application of Herb Matter’s orange and black design (typically described as the “McGinnis” scheme) as I elected to go with the original factory as-delivered “Hunter Green” given the car is so heavy that the only suitable power I could think of for it is a 10 lb Parmalee & Sturgis EP-3 which resides in Dallas(must paint and decal) I foresee incorporating it into a consist of pre-war cast Alexander OB coaches behind that EP-3 as its best use. The NH's giant fleet of post war OB fluted "American Flyer" cars only wore two company versions as described, though after the PC assimilation and subsequent government agency diaspora maybe another six plus different schemes in "revenue " service.

Here’s some shots of it in the consist of an ad hoc #170 “Colonial” making the circuit on “track world.”
The Sunset FL-9 is anemically pulling roughly 2.5 amps dragging this 4 car extravaganza around, you may’ve noticed the subtle size difference between the Chester and the two trailing Weaver’s, if not- trust me its there. Also top speed here is hardly blinding, though I understand in real life one FL-9 by itself originally wasn’t good for track speed with more than five or six cars either, which bugged the NH crews to no end given the virtual unlimited speed and power of the road’s former electric motor fleet, effectively destroyed (except for the EP-5’s) upon delivery of the EMD’s.
(sigh)

Some “finish” details about the car as few as they are; I was exceptionally elated to find the appropriate lettering set for this from Clover House ( Great Product line !) and I used the RPC plan book for trimming and positioning Florida Guy's original plates on the car body. The trucks are way old school Kasiner bronze castings, true “bricks” but nevertheless loosely appropriate in side frame appearance for the prototype as well as simpatico with the “karma” of the project. The window strip is care of Krylon spray can catalogued as “Hunter Green” and maybe a tad too light but imo not bad. Apropos the plane jane diaphragms are the last of a dozen I bought from the late great Vince Waterman at the San Antonio National in the late eighties. I wonder if Florida Guy ever met Vince?
Litigation Crisis Consultant- remediating legal-media issues; mitigating federal, state and local investigations, court orders etc. Your serial felony history, contractual defaults, bankruptcies no big deal.
contact morbo@getoffthehook.com

Robert

Postby Robert » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:11 am

Nice project Pete! I grew up in New Haven territory...along the Worcester branch, a freight segment but New haven none the less. So your consist has a nice familiarity to it.

Robert

Erik C Lindgren

Postby Erik C Lindgren » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:50 am

Awesome De Bruin! 8) :D

aterry11

Postby aterry11 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:40 am

Good to see your progress, Pete!

love the reshop on the New Haven that's a sharp car!!
Really a fan of the Pshop X42, one on the bay awhile back but went over my budget. Did score one of their PRR D78 diners for a song and it is sweet, lots of detail. I'm going to see if Labelle can print the Gold bronze decals that have the small black and gold pinstripes . totally different paint scheme with the orange windows and olive underbodies. Really like that scheme. all heavyweights and steam. Need an E3,4,5, to look right though.
Is it a Dashing Dan or Weekend Warrior baggage cause it looks superb.
Any progress on the City OF LA. :?: :?: :?:
Hope all is well at your end. :) :) :) :) :) :)

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”