GSL Steam Roster

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
R.K. Maroon

Re: GSL Steam Roster

Postby R.K. Maroon » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:37 pm

Great finish work, Pete. That red cab really pops. I don't recall seeing that cool GSL logo before. Did somebody in the club have those custom printed?

Jim
Fun stuff indeed

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:45 pm

Thanks Jim, yes indeed, Terry Weldon had an assortment of southeastern roads and GSL decals printed about 20 years ago in black, yellow and white, this is actually the earliest version of the GSL herald which I think looks the best.
Unfortunately, out of almost all of them now and we'll need to get some more printed. If you look at those GSL RS11 and NW2's posted earlier you'll see
the yellow versions. I am holding one pair back for the proposed PA's.
Crisis Consultant remediating legal-media issues; neutralizing health science academy studies, bureau findings, personal media histories etc. Dis-inform with simulated facts etc. your daily atrocity no big deal.
contact morbo@predatorsdontfeelguilt.com

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:12 pm

Well #902 still derails like a drunken preacher, so until I can retrofit a new pilot truck…..*sigh*
Next locomotive in the queue is this “SP-ish” senior citizen #60, credited in the club record as a Lobaugh via the late Arthur Hambrick and now the property of David Payne, it’s card details include having an AC motor with rectifier, definitely has 17/64 proportions relative to the other equipment.
It was pooping out badly in yard service as in slowing down to a stop at constant throttle, but after some lube, wheel and gear cleaning seems to run fine now, almost “perky”, and moreover like a watch in particular at slow speed, with the side rod and valve gear in particular exceptionally smooth on this guy.
Next up, back to more estate salvage subjects, aka “artillery shells.”
oh boy
Crisis Consultant remediating legal-media issues; neutralizing health science academy studies, bureau findings, personal media histories etc. Dis-inform with simulated facts etc. your daily atrocity no big deal.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:32 am

Lobaugh prewar, ex-Pratt (same outfit that made the cast PRR B6). Yes, 17/64. SP prototype, of course.

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:57 pm

Returning to the elderly steam in the donation queue, this one is unlike the others derived from Hines USRA boilers and chassis, obviously never completely finished hence not painted like the rest either. I added the tender and unattached trucks impromptu to the first shot for effect, as the loco didn’t come with one.

Jim could not immediately identify it either, in the process of getting more photos including the under body I‘ve at least tentatively identified part of the chassis, but am posting it anyway to see if any of you recognize it, or want to take a crack at it.
Though comparatively the best assembly job of all the steam in the pile (please- no "steaming pile" cracks either) it does suffer from the same chronic wavy side boards as the others.
This one might garner some more interest from the club members as it won’t need to be completely torn down, stripped etc. to finish.
If not it’s off to Da’Bay or ‘Yard Sale.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:25 pm

Does it run?
Alcohol does not solve any problem, but then neither does milk.

BruceB

Postby BruceB » Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:17 pm

That Hines boiler would make a great boiler for a C&O or HV mikado. Cab and of course running gear would need to be different. I need to get my house finished before any more projects. :(

Dennis Holler

Postby Dennis Holler » Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:32 pm

That last one is cool, did I miss it on da bay?
Doorstop Rookie

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:38 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:Does it run?

No, this is one of two incomplete “models” in the donated steam pile and has not been wired up nor has the ASTRAC harness afflicting the rest of the locomotives therein, I haven't even checked the motor yet to see if it turns with jumpers.

BruceB wrote:That Hines boiler would make a great boiler for a C&O or HV Mikado…

I have since been advised that this is not a Hines boiler as aside from the cast cab and firebox floor it's roiled sheet brass. I can tell you though the chassis is an Adams & Son casting based on stampings on the bottom verticals under the back-end. Smart not to take on projects like these until you get a shop-place sorted out, good luck.

Dennis Holler wrote:That last one is cool, did I miss it on da bay?

Nah, one (maybe the best) of six locomotives acquired by my club from an estate donation. There’s at least two others earlier in this string including an AN 4-8-4 and a really rough 2-10-0 of indeterminate origin. I’ll post more here as I get to them. Most will likely wind up on de’Bay with a REALLY low starting price.

Dennis Holler

Postby Dennis Holler » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:17 am

[/quote]
Nah, one (maybe the best) of six locomotives acquired by my club from an estate donation. There’s at least two others earlier in this string including an AN 4-8-4 and a really rough 2-10-0 of indeterminate origin. I’ll post more here as I get to them. Most will likely wind up on de’Bay with a REALLY low starting price.[/quote]

Dang, Now I'll be watching lol The worse it is the more I like it lol.
Doorstop Rookie

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:05 am

De Bruin wrote:Most will likely wind up on de’Bay with a REALLY low starting price.

Do let us all know here when that happens. :!:
Last edited by Rufus T. Firefly on Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alcohol does not solve any problem, but then neither does milk.

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:38 pm

De Bruin wrote:I have since been advised that this is not a Hines boiler as aside from the cast cab and firebox floor it's roiled sheet brass. I can tell you though the chassis is an Adams & Son casting based on stampings on the bottom verticals under the back-end. Smart not to take on projects like these until you get a shop-place sorted out, good luck.

Latest literature on-site indicate Hines was rolled brass boilers. I can quote book, and page. At this point, almost 70 years later, who knows for sure.
Dave....collector, restorer, and operator of the finest doorstops

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:07 pm

I have a pair of Hines with rolled/stamped boilers. I think early cabs were sand cast; later ones were stamped.

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:10 pm

Thanks guys, for the input. I generally like to correctly ID things that I list for sale, so I guess I'll disassemble this one beforehand. Was planning to do that now anyway after Rufus stuck that "does it run?" worm in my ear. On the other hand, per Dave's comment maybe doesn't make much difference anyway given it's age. I would assume anyone bidding would know what kind of effort they're in for if they bought it. At least I'll strongly emphasize that in the listing description. The downside is if the mechanism runs well I'll have a much harder time parting with it which would be bad as I need another project like this like I need a sucking chest wound.
As Maroon tells me, "...you can't save them all."

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:01 pm

Maroon sent, at different times, a mechanism and a boiler for what appears to be a related Mikado. It still looks pretty rough, and I am uneasy about abusing Shuttlefly with a photo, but I am considering it.

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”