GSL Steam Roster

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
DeBruin

GSL Steam Roster

Postby DeBruin » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:23 pm

The Rail Model Club of Atlanta’s layout dates from the late 1940’s and rosters quite a few veteran locomotives, per Maroon’s article in OST #83 (some even pre-war kits,) “senior citizens” in continuous service for many decades. I've started cataloging them as they require servicing, repairs etc. and intend to post some examples here for your viewing as/after they pass through “the shop” in the hope that Bob and Rufous don’t get too stir crazy.
First up #1394, a Jack Ferris custom built PS4; once the signature engine on the club’s eight car heavyweight green Crescent consist, many years of service on this brutal assignment (8 lighted Walther’s and All Nation heavy-weights) have taken their toll as when I first joined in 2012 it was on “display” duty over the club workbench having been pulled from service due to slow top speed and failing power at grade.
Last year I decided to take a crack at restoring it to operation anticipating brother Jim’s visit to Atlanta and that the engine’s problems likely exceeded my meager skill set with drives, especially with model steam. Sure enough none of the normal tells lead to good diagnosis until Jim isolated a bearing block on the drive shaft that had frozen or seized up; some disassembly, lube and “presto.”
It unfortunately only lasted a few weeks in service and then started to degrade in pulling power again as well as derail through switches so it’s bad ordered awaiting disassembly (suspect same drive shaft bearing) and will likely get a new spring for the pony truck too. Here’s some more “mugs” Jim took with his phone.

None of us were able to determine #1394 provenance until I located the engine roster cards at the club, and hence the “Jack Ferris” ID. Given its age I thinks its faithfully done when compared to the prototype albeit without the bronze trim stripes, “Crescent” emblems and tender lettering it sported in its heyday as per below, as well as those metallic cylinder caps. I believe the original owner intended it to look as in its final years of operation, though it could have been repainted since its build date too. The forward half of the USRA boiler seems a tad smaller in diameter as well when compared with the photo but all in all, pretty nice model.

bob turner

Re: GSL Steam Roster

Postby bob turner » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:18 pm

Nice! I love this old stuff! Keep them coming.

rrjjf

Postby rrjjf » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:47 am

That is a very nice PS-4. Perhaps what makes the smokebox look small if the large headlight casting which appears to be oversized to me, not uncommon in older models perhaps to accommodate the "miniature" lamps that were available back then. The models built by Scale Model Railways in the 1930s, by Jack Ferris and Bill Lenoir, from what I have seen of them, are all quite nice representations of their prototypes and certainly worth maintaining in good working order.

Thanks for posting.

Joe Foehrkolb
Joe Foehrkolb

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:26 pm

What is the bench on the tender?
I expect to hear that it is a bench. :roll:

Looking forward to seeing more like this.
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

DeBruin

Postby DeBruin » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:07 pm

Thanks Roger (and Bob and Joe)
Some locomotives sported that elevated platform behind the tender to allow the crew to reach the spout and chute during watering and coaling,
I'm not sure if this is accurate for this specific PS4 but then again I haven't compared a lot of photos of them either. Assuming the original owner's (the late Bill Price Jr) penchant for the Southern I would think there was an example lurking out there.
BTW Joe; certainly enjoyed visiting with you on the Sunday of the Chicago Show this spring, what a great meet.
I can assure you all there are more photos coming as its a big roster.
Thanks again.
Pete

R.K. Maroon

Postby R.K. Maroon » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:15 am

Here is a video of the Ferris Ps-4 taken after Pete and I got it serviced. I had always heard about how a wound-field motor will speed up significantly when unloaded, but had never seen it. Pete's layout is stretched out across his long basement and has a slight grade from one end to the other so we got to see the effect in action.

https://youtu.be/uAzjyWkfuiY

The combination of lighting in Pete's basement and a long shot (to lower resolution) on a digital camera down the back stretch makes for what I find to be a nice effect, as can be seen in the last scene.

Pete tells me this loco went balky rather quickly after this video was taken. I would never have guess that considering how well it was running that day. Hopefully another inspection will reveal what the issue is.

Jim
Slow progress is better than no progress

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:47 pm

Thanks for the video.

Older motors can get creaky. I had a Challenger with a large K&D, and for the first two laps it would act balky. Then when it warmed up, nothing could hold it back. Just don't park them for a month and expect perfect performance on startup?

I really like the blue and gray coaches. I have a pair of Walthers in that color scheme.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:48 pm

rrjjf

Postby rrjjf » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:32 pm

Regarding the tender deck elevated walkway, The Central Locomotive Works kit includes this detail. I built one of those kits back in the 1970s and went down to the Smithsonian to look at the 1401 in the American History Museum. From my memory, that loco has the elevated catwalk so I put it on my model. I traded the model many years ago for a scratchbuilt Ken Henry WM K-2 Pacific. Without a Southern passenger train to pull I could see no reason to keep the model. At the time I had a five car WM passenger train that Ken also built.

Joe Foehrkolb
Joe Foehrkolb

R.K. Maroon

Postby R.K. Maroon » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:51 am

rrjjf wrote:I traded the model many years ago for a scratchbuilt Ken Henry WM K-2 Pacific. At the time I had a five car WM passenger train that Ken also built.

Joe, one could read that to mean that you no longer have the WM passenger train. I hope that is not true -- I have never seen any passenger equipment by Ken and only photos of the locomotives, so I am hoping someday to be able to visit your shop for a look-see.

Speaking of look-see's, here is a photo of the chassis of the Ferris SRR Ps-4 Pacific:

From what I have seen, there was no "standard drive setup" used by Scale Model Railways or Jack Ferris on his own, but this has the right flavor. Nice big motor (K&D #3 I believe), especially given that it's a Pacific.

Jim
Slow progress is better than no progress

rrjjf

Postby rrjjf » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:07 am

Jim,

The WM passenger cars went back to Ken Henry about a year before he passed away.

Joe
Joe Foehrkolb

DeBruin

Postby DeBruin » Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:20 am

Next up in the build/repair queue;
this 4-6-0 custom built , brother James tells me this might be from a ScaleModels kit as his very nice CGW 4-6-0 (which I covet terribly.) The club record indicates by Jack Ferris for Cliff Cole with a permag motor.
Shortly after joining I noticed it on the "storage" shelves on the east wall of the building where bad order equipment is parked (often interminably) for eventual repair or disposal. No one at the club could tell me when it’d last run so it’s likely been OOS for quite a while, very badly chipped up paint and decal wise, and once on the temple of radon test track indeed deader than beaver hat/no current draw.
Disassembly was easy (compared to imports.) Thankfully, after removing the boiler and the skillfully fabricated sheet steel tender shell it appeared to be a separated lead from the front tender truck bolster. Some lubrication, cleaning etc and voila, runs like a scalded dog, albeit has a balky start. Am fixing the long dead and decayed (actually flux eaten) headlight set-up, increase the wheel pick-ups on the (massive cast tender frame) trucks, decals, cleaning up the severely chipped and checked paint. Will post more as this develops.
Pete (not Jim)

John Webster

Postby John Webster » Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:48 am

Are you going to repaint the 4-6-0?

Please keep these oldies coming.
You begin flying with a full bag of luck and an empty bag for experience. The object is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:04 am

Yes. This is the stuff I really like to see. I have been thinking Wooten fireboxes for a while now.

DeBruin

Postby DeBruin » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:25 am

It does appear to have Wooten firebox Bob, which is curious to me as it otherwise does not resemble any Anthracite Road's power that I'm familiar with. Maybe someone here can recognize the provenance of the boiler arrangement.

John, I don't intend on a wholesale re-paint of this as I don't have a sandblaster nor am I up for the tedium of striping the boiler/cab chemically. My primary goal after getting it running reliably is to clean it up, spot re-paint the chipped and scaling areas around the cab and tender shell, reapply the small road number on the cab, replace the missing marker jewels, and redo the headlight. Again I will keep you all posted as this progresses.

I try and alternate club projects or repair jobs with my own stuff, next in the queue is finishing an LWS U36B, which will be a big deal (for me) as I have to set up a vertical drill press to mount the front and rear deck handrail stanchions, and master the technique of drilling cast aluminum. I'll reach back here and see if I can locate the last LWS thread to post more on that.
Pete

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”