2 rail at last

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
robert.

Re: 2 rail at last

Postby robert. » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:57 am

What's a good trolley pole? Are they all same? Would I be better off using pantographs?
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:17 pm

robert. wrote:What's a good trolley pole? Are they all same? Would I be better off using pantographs?

Depends on what you're putting it on - pans vs. poles. Also what the overhead plans are.......poles, catenary, etc.

Midwest poles are supposed to be very good; Q-car poles, old Kemtron/PSC poles (kits) can be painful to assemble, Keil-line made poles.

Want a slider shoe or roller at the end of the pole? 2 or 4 springs? Depends on prototype and personal decisions....

Check with Jim Rivers.

Pans....you see them on eBay anywhere from cheap to stupid........
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

R.K. Maroon

Postby R.K. Maroon » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:46 pm

I have no personal experience other than observing what my brother and others (Cherry Valley) have done, but is seems to me that it is easier to string wire for trolley operation (typically light-duty service) than to string cantenary for pantographs (heavy-duty service). I would think this is especially true if the overhead is to be operational. I would LOVE to do cantenary, but if I did I would be tempted to make the pantographs fixed height just under the wire (non contacting) to lessen the burdens of the whole operation.

But for me it is a moot discussion, as I have no room for a layout nor do I expect that to change anytime soon.

Jim
Slow progress is better than no progress

J. S. Bach

Postby J. S. Bach » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:26 pm

R.K. Maroon wrote: ...snip... but is seems to me that it is easier to string wire for trolley operation (typically light-duty service) than to string cantenary for pantographs ...snip... Jim

My personal experience is just the opposite; although my catenary building process might be different from most.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:29 pm

J. S. Bach wrote:
R.K. Maroon wrote: ...snip... but is seems to me that it is easier to string wire for trolley operation (typically light-duty service) than to string cantenary for pantographs ...snip... Jim

My personal experience is just the opposite; although my catenary building process might be different from most.

Please, do tell.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

J. S. Bach

Postby J. S. Bach » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:56 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:Please, do tell.

Hang and get the contact wire working well then add all of the jewelry later; messenger, "droppers", etc. Plus pans do not require the tedious adjustment of wire frogs. Note that it is possible to build the cat so that both poles and pans will work just fine.

robert.

Postby robert. » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:12 pm

I'll throw prototype out the window for ease of operation. 2-4 springs, roller or slider i don't care. What ever will work the best for me. I have 6-7 feet of track under the second level. Seems like overhead wire will be a pita. I'm thinking of using n scale flex instead of wire or brass flashing through the tunnel.

big bad jim

Postby big bad jim » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:14 pm

I want to incorporate an electrified freight interchange with whatever else I end up with. With Baldwin-Westinghouse steeple cabs like the Sacremento Northern (with pans) or better yet the Iowa Traction Railway (with trolley poles). I love the juxtaposition of the vintage loco with the modern tank cars and hoppers on the Iowa Traction.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 998&nseq=2

Or I could just do the traction line, since I envision a switching/terminal type layout anyway.

Someday.... :roll:

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:40 am

big bad jim wrote:With Baldwin-Westinghouse steeple cabs like the Sacremento Northern (with pans) or better yet the Iowa Traction Railway (with trolley poles).

They both show up fairly often - I passed on a Class B in Chicago last year. I have way too much stuff to buy more unless it's so cheap that I can resell it will little effort.

More on poles:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-O-GA-Q-Car-tr ... SwKtlWtBsU

http://www.ebay.com/itm/O-GA-MTH-trolle ... xyJ8ZRia8o

Brian Weisman (Jason's Brass Poles) stocks poles, wire and other overhead parts.

robert.

Postby robert. » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:26 pm

LVG freight motor :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by robert. on Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:17 am

robert. wrote:LVG freight motor :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now post that over on OGR and be embraced by the faithful at the alter, :wink:

rex desilets

Postby rex desilets » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:45 am

At last, the giraffe. Inquiring minds want to know if it's fitted with a smoke generator.
“Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.” – John Adams

GreggL

Postby GreggL » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:47 am

...and does the head bob up and down prototypically? And shouldn't there be an Easter bunny inside too?

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:56 am

rex desilets wrote:At last, the giraffe. Inquiring minds want to know if it's fitted with a smoke generator.

And sound!!!!!! With the right chuff rate!!!!

robert.

Postby robert. » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:36 pm

Chuff rate = 2 toots per bean.
If you never watched hangover 3 watch this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS3KzwmU8Tg

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”