Lobaugh Freight Cars

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
E7

Re: Lobaugh Freight Cars

Postby E7 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:51 am

bob turner wrote:For me, the big deal inaccuracies were shape and size.

Right on. Maybe another way of saying the same thing is: Does it "look right"??? "right" here meaning correct to one's eyes.

webenda wrote:Oh! You are not normal Maroon. Normal people are insane over scale fidelity. :lol:

A while back, Sunset made a series of brass REA cars. There were to have been NO rivets on these cars as they were to have been a welded version. The builder missed the fact that the rivets were yellowed out on the drawings, and so the cars came through with rivets. Beautiful cars, but incorrect because they had rivets.

This happened when the 3rd Rail Forum still existed, and someone got on and made a post regarding the error. A lot of different reactions, the most extreme (in my opinion) was one person who intended to grind off the rivets and repaint.

No, I will NOT be grinding the rivets off of mine! I don't want to destroy the collector value! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I always found it interesting that something would have more value because it was incorrect! :lol: :lol: :lol:

As for color, there can be so many variations with paint that, "close" is a workable thing for me!

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:17 pm

I have no idea why, but Lobaugh flat cars have become quite valuable:

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:20 pm

This was my first attempt at brass freight car construction:

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:35 pm

bob turner wrote:I have no idea why, but Lobaugh flat cars have become quite valuable:

Because they look o darned good?
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

R.K. Maroon

Postby R.K. Maroon » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:48 pm

Interesting to see Allied Full Cushion trucks on the T&NO caboose, Bob. Did the T&NO actually use them on cabooses?

Also interested in knowing if, as your first brass kit car, you lettered this T&NO from day one. I would have thought your interests lay further west. I am not complaining, as I have been in Texas so long now that T&NO is the part of the SP that I am now most interested in. *SIGH* -- and to think I used to watch the gallery cars and old "Harrimans" (which weren't) in Penisula service everyday.

Jim
Slow progress is better than no progress

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:53 pm

Yes - I remember seeing the TNO legend, and this one is in its original paint and decals. I have no idea whether Allied trucks were used on the TNO lines. All of my Lobaugh SP brass cabeese have them.

sarge

Postby sarge » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:29 pm

E7 wrote:
bob turner wrote:For me, the big deal inaccuracies were shape and size.

Right on. Maybe another way of saying the same thing is: Does it "look right"??? "right" here meaning correct to one's eyes.

webenda wrote:Oh! You are not normal Maroon. Normal people are insane over scale fidelity. :lol:

A while back, Sunset made a series of brass REA cars. There were to have been NO rivets on these cars as they were to have been a welded version. The builder missed the fact that the rivets were yellowed out on the drawings, and so the cars came through with rivets. Beautiful cars, but incorrect because they had rivets.

This happened when the 3rd Rail Forum still existed, and someone got on and made a post regarding the error. A lot of different reactions, the most extreme (in my opinion) was one person who intended to grind off the rivets and repaint.

No, I will NOT be grinding the rivets off of mine! I don't want to destroy the collector value! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I always found it interesting that something would have more value because it was incorrect! :lol: :lol: :lol:

As for color, there can be so many variations with paint that, "close" is a workable thing for me!

I'll speak up for my world, then, because there are two different worlds, one a historical-collecting world and one a historical-modelling world.

In some cases I like models themselves for what they are, warts and all. The Egolf X29s and K4 I showed are a good example. They are history in and of themselves. Lots of what you guys show here fall in that category, these Lobaugh cars for example. In these cases, the flaws in the models, the paint schemes right or wrong, are all part of the history. Historical-collecting.

When it comes to a recent import like the those express cars, I won't buy them with a blatant error like that, just because I won't give someone the idea they can import junk and we'll buy it anyway just because they did. For me, they serve a different purpose. I'm trying to create a snapshot of history with the models I buy or build today. They aren't history themselves, but are a part of an effort to evoke an image of history.

That means they fall under a vastly different set of criteria. They aren't perfect of course, but they need to meet a standard. If they don't, then they get modified or "fixed" (part of the fun, for me). If they are hopelessly flawed so as not to be worth the effort or are unfixable,, they're of no use to me.

I guess that makes me one of the people you guys are laughingly calling "normal". I am a "rivet counter" (but only my own rivets, thank you) but only to the standards that satisfy my goals.

I don't think there is any additional collector value to a brass import with a blatant flaw; not like a single production error within a run of thousands of perfectly made ones in the Lionel world, for example. Me? If I needed a model of that prototype to meet my needs in evoking the image I want, and there were no alternatives, I would grind the rivets off and repaint, or even make new sides. If, all in all, the model is deemed "behind scratch" (meaning starting from scratch would already be a step ahead of fixing the import), then scratch it is, then. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Meanwhile, keep the historical models coming. I enjoy them. Don't make the mistake of thinking there aren't different set of standards and different goals out there, though. :wink:
Last edited by sarge on Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No-one ever forgets where they buried the hatchet.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:34 pm

sarge wrote: ............to the standards that satisfy my goals.

Distill it all down to there..........
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

sarge

Postby sarge » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:48 pm

bob turner wrote:I have no idea why, but Lobaugh flat cars have become quite valuable:

They always have, as have the Frederik flats. Good steam-era 50' flatcars are few and far between and these are still good models today.

R.K. Maroon

Postby R.K. Maroon » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:06 pm

Somebody mentioned to me just the other day that there is a connection between Lobaugh and Frederick. Anybody know anything about that?

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:28 pm

Or even better, who is Frederick, and how 'bout a photo?

R.K. Maroon

Postby R.K. Maroon » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:45 pm

This should jog your memory:

Frederick01.jpg
Frederick01.jpg (475.87 KiB) Viewed 5884 times

Note photo of Mr. Frederick to left -- He appears to be a fine member of the local business community if there ever was one.

E7

Postby E7 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:39 pm

I'm still hanging on to those express cars. If they don;t manage to pass into the magical "relic" zone, all I have to do is take off my specs and then I can't see those bloody rivets!

Still not grinding. :mrgreen:

Rich

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:08 pm

I don't think that is the same Frederick.
I guess he could have had a sideline of model railroad cars.
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

sarge

Postby sarge » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:35 pm

Bob: No photo I'm afraid, but Frederick made a couple 50' flatcar kits (I seem to remember both fishbelly and drop-frame straight-side) very similar to the Lobaugh car in construction method. I've soldered quite a few together over the years, but really can't tell you that I've noticed a difference between them and Lobaugh's. I wonder if Frederick just redid the kits after Lobaugh went belly up to the top of the tank.

I don't know them as historical items, just good kits of '40s era 50' flatcars.

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”