American Lightweight Products

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
up148

American Lightweight Products

Postby up148 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:25 pm

This was posted on the NK site, but since he is not a sponsor I figure the post won't last long and wanted to put it here. I didn't know where this passenger car kit line went, but it sounds like they intend to be around awhile, which is good news.

Butch
------------------------------------------------------------
Having seen the interest here for heritage style streamlined passenger roofs I've decided to sell them separately. They will be $14.00 each with $5.00 shipping for the first roof and $0.50 for each additional roof in an order. If you buy 10 or more shipping will be free.

These are the original American Standard roofs by Ralph Brown. Pete Plunkett purchased the streamlined car line and renamed the lightweights. I will be looking at pricing a kit without sides for those that want to use Union Station Products sides with the American Lightweight kits. After harvest season is over I will be able to get several pairs of sides and see what I can do.
Ken Towler
American Lightweight Car Company
201 Grist Mill Road
Lynchburg, VA 24501

cole7015

Re: American Lightweight Products

Postby cole7015 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:39 pm

well isn't this loddy dadadada. It will be interesting after 8 ++ years he now is going to offer the product.

Time will tell on this.

Bill Basden Delta Models www.deltamodelsusa.com

DeBruin

Postby DeBruin » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:17 pm

Bill, I think it's a good thing, not everyone wants to build scale LW cars out of brass, extrusions, composite(walther's style) kits etc. The tell for me will be if the roof/floor/ends are offered for a lower price than the average cost of an unbuilt ICC on Ebay. The Union Station sides are a good thing too.
I just wish building models was more popular than buying spotty ready to run, but I guess those days are gone forever.

cole7015

Postby cole7015 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:41 pm

I am not trying to belittle the guy. I think it will be good also, its just that it seems odd if he is finally
changing course. Way back long time ago he said he had a lot off roofs available. But if he did not get the tooling to produce more, in time what he has will be come a thing of the past. I am still going to produce a one piece casting
of a Pullman roof.

It has been said that people do not want to build kits, or to scratch build a model. My perspective based on sales of my parts over the last 3 years says there is a resurgence occurring. That people want to do this. My RPO interiors bare this out. My initial run was 50 sets each of the 3 types, I am no on a second run of 50.

I am old school raised and got into model trains, and scratched built models from the get go.

As far as Delta Models goes, I am now offering other items for passenger cars. I just added to my wed site
built to order wood carrying cases. In 30" and 36" lengths.

Bill Basden Delta Models http://www.deltamodelsusa.com

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:33 am

cole7015 wrote:I am not trying to belittle the guy. I think it will be good also, its just that it seems odd if he is finally
changing course. Way back long time ago he said he had a lot off roofs available. But if he did not get the tooling to produce more, in time what he has will be come a thing of the past. I am still going to produce a one piece casting
of a Pullman roof.

Indeed. He has been offered help in the past and has been unwilling to even respond. Changing course and maybe just selling off the stock and parts that he can turn into cash and walking away for all we know. May have bought into a product that he can not afford to resurrect and continue......

It has been said that people do not want to build kits, or to scratch build a model. My perspective based on sales of my parts over the last 3 years says there is a resurgence occurring. That people want to do this. My RPO interiors bare this out. My initial run was 50 sets each of the 3 types, I am no on a second run of 50.

Good to hear!!!! You confirm my thinking about people not wanting to build kits, or to scratch build models.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

aterry11

Postby aterry11 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:32 pm

Crosseyed Mary told me Aqualung builds kits. And so do I.... I was born at the end of the boomers in 66. Always built models and just got back into it and always liked passenger trains so it was a natural fit to want to build passenger cars. Now if I can just figure out why PRR cause I was born in Nebraska and have always been exposed to western roads.

E7

Postby E7 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:20 pm

aterry11 wrote: Always built models and just got back into it and always liked passenger trains so it was a natural fit to want to build passenger cars. Now if I can just figure out why PRR cause I was born in Nebraska and have always been exposed to western roads.

Well the PRR had some pretty good passenger trains and quite a few of them in general. I am a Eastern road buff (mainly PRR), but I don't care that much about passenger trains. I have a few heavyweight Pullmans, and that's the extent of my passenger car effort. I never tried to analyze why I liked stuff, I just went for the things that pleased my eye. Do as you like and enjoy and you won't go too far wrong.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:16 pm

Well, I was born in the East Indes, raised on the SP, and swore I did not like K4s until I got a copy of the Carlson book on PRR steam. Thence:

Absolute slobbering Pennsy freak!

E7

Postby E7 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:11 pm

Classic Pullman heavyweight. Not as sleek and slick as the later light weights, but they were always to me, the quintessential passenger car.

Seaboard Air Line Fan

Postby Seaboard Air Line Fan » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:58 am

I found this link a while back:

http://www.galtran.com/ASCC.htm

Are these still available?
BobD aka Drifty

The Crow Flies At Midnight

Roy

Postby Roy » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:19 am

Seaboard Air Line Fan wrote:I found this link a while back:

http://www.galtran.com/ASCC.htm

Are these still available?

I dare say no:

http://cs.trains.com/mrr/f/88/p/98099/2059790.aspx
Torturers, White Racists, Gay Bashers, Rich Psychopaths.

Jay Criswell

Postby Jay Criswell » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:08 am

I believe Dan Pantera bought all the plastic roofs. He used to use the ones made by Lou Cross (wood) but switched when he was able to buy a huge supply of the plastic (extruded, I do believe).

As a side note, I have all the wood roofs and the cutters to make them. Not a high demand item.

Jay

big bad jim

Postby big bad jim » Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:32 pm

I thought VGN64 on OGR was the current owner of the American Lightweight line. I think there was a discussion within the last year or so about getting the tooling going again. Might be worth a search over there.

Jim

Jay Criswell

Postby Jay Criswell » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:20 pm

Could be, I really don't know for sure. All I do know is, Dan bought all the plastic roofs somebody produced for a fairly popular kit builder (again, I don't know which one). Dan told me he bought enough to last him forever. Lou provided the rest of the car. I now have all of Lou's sides, roofs, parts, tooling, etc.

Jay

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”