1941 City of Los Angeles

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
railandsail

Re: 1941 City of Los Angeles

Postby railandsail » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:39 am

This is one of the few sites I have found that discuss these Adams Foundry model trains.
I had posted on MRH forum this....a few days ago....

Does anyone know anything about some very early O-scale model trains produced by Adams & Son Model Foundry?

A couple of days ago a gentleman showed up at my door asking if I knew anything about the 3 E7 units he had found. They are big heavy locos, and not badly detailed for 1948-50 units. I've only found a few things on the internet.

http://www.binnsroad.co.uk/railways/adams/index.html

http://www.oscalekings.org/halloffame.html

Looking to find our more.....
Brian

E7

Postby E7 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:55 pm

railandsail wrote:This is one of the few sites I have found that discuss these Adams Foundry model trains.
I had posted on MRH forum this....a few days ago....

[i]Does anyone know anything about some very early O-scale model trains produced by Adams & Son Model Foundry?

A couple of days ago a gentleman showed up at my door asking if I knew anything about the 3 E7 units he had found. They are big heavy locos, and not badly detailed for 1948-50 units. I've only found a few things on the internet.

Looking to find our more.....
Brian

You have come to the right place. Some of the guys here live and breathe this stuff, aka as "doorstops". "R. K. Maroon" aka Jim, writes a column in "O Scale Trains" magazine, and Bob T., Carey W., DeBruin, and Scalecraft Dave are all afficionados, that frequent this forum. Sorry if I left anyone out!

Rich

Robert

Postby Robert » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:14 pm

railandsail wrote:http://www.oscalekings.org/halloffame.html[/i]L
Brian

Thanks for this link ...very interesting read.

Robert

railandsail

Postby railandsail » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:33 pm

I only have one of the 3 units here at my place, but the fellow said today he would bring the other 2 by so I could take some photos and do a little inventory of what's there.

I also have some O-scale 2-rail trains I bought to take over to Thailand, but that is now not happening. Since I primarily model HO I believe I need to consider selling these off. Perhaps I should list them in the appropriate section of this forum. Correct me where I am wrong but this forum is NOT associated with the OscaleYardSale site, is that correct??
Brian

PS: I need to figure out how to post an image on this site?...software for these different forum sites (trains and boats is all so different)

E7

Postby E7 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:24 pm

[quote="railandsail"] Correct me where I am wrong but this forum is NOT associated with the OscaleYardSale site, is that correct??
Brian

Correct, O Scale Yardsale is a DIFFERENT entity!

railandsail

Postby railandsail » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:10 pm

R.K. Maroon wrote:No problem, Rich -- We had a whole thread on this once, and while it is a darn shame that we lost all those old threads, I still have the diagrams on Photobucket. Wayne ginned up some too so he may wish to comment.

Jim

I'm reading back thru this subject thread, and noticed a LOT of the photos and dwgs are all posted on Photobucket. Sure makes one wonder what is going to happen to this excellent old material when someone stops paying for the new Photobucket's ransom demands.

R.K. Maroon

Postby R.K. Maroon » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:44 pm

Brian -- Welcome to our forum. As Rich says, there is a small group of us here that have a strong interest in old models. Rich was also nice enough to put in a plug for my OST column. As it is, column #88 (Nov/Dec 2016) was on the Adams and Son E7. It was part three of a four-part series on Adams and Son. What we know is that Adams and Son was a foundry -- they sold castings, not complete models. As best I can tell, they mostly stayed in business by providing bronze, brass, and aluminum castings (and associated pattern making services) to model manufacturers from around 1940 to somewhere in the 1950s. They did sell a line of casting kits for several locomotives and tenders, both to individuals but also to model manufacturers, who had to provide the motor, drives, axles, and other detail parts to make a complete model. So it is actually a good bit inaccurate to call any model an "Adams and Son". If it is more than a casting kit somebody else built it. But the A&S name is in the castings and most or all of the other manufacturers have gone by the way, so Adams and Son lives on. I will dig up a few photos and post as time allows.

As to Photobucket, I think most of us have moved on. I use Dropbox now but I pay the annual premium for the full service option. This is mostly for cloud storage but as a side benefit it lets me remote-host images. Not as user-friendly in that regard as the old Photobucket, but good enough. The only downside, which some people here may have noticed, is that images are stored full-size, which results in slow loading for those without lightening internet speeds. Photobucket compressed the images, so while you lost resolution you at least got fast loading.

Jim
Slow progress is better than no progress

Carey Williams

Postby Carey Williams » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:28 am

Hello Brain

Jim's articles are excellent for weighing how much of the diesels are Adams & Son and how much are Siebers or who ever may have made the side panels ... then add who made the drive ... early diesels are a fun adventure trying to match up old ads and photos to remaining pieces .

Here you have a Adams nose ( right ) and perhaps a Pomona on the left

IMG_5949.JPG
IMG_5949.JPG (1.41 MiB) Viewed 8798 times

Here you have l-r Adams (castings) , Pomona ?, Baldwin , ? scratch built

IMG_6465.JPG
IMG_6465.JPG (1.61 MiB) Viewed 8798 times

Cheers Carey

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:56 am

R.K. Maroon wrote:Brian -- Welcome to our forum.

Indeed! Welcome to the jungle, we got fun & games..........and model trains. :mrgreen:

As to Photobucket, I think most of us have moved on.

My el cheapo pay account at Photobucket continues to function (most of the time....), but I am migrating as quickly as possible to a paid account at Smugmug. Orders of magnitude improvement on operations and support response, and a side benefit of the migration is better organization. Once the Photobucket files are empty, that gets closed.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

Robert

Postby Robert » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:00 am

railandsail wrote:PS: I need to figure out how to post an image on this site?...software for these different forum sites (trains and boats is all so different)

Here you go for posting photos Brian

When you try to add a reply you get a screen that has a block on the lower edge titled Attachments with light blue surrounding. Click on that. You will then see right below that the Add files block surrounded by a block and clicking on that block brings you to a screen which allows you to go choose your pictures from ( in my case I have them on my Desktop ).

Then you click on the photo you want to add to the posting, and it loads for you to then click on Place inline, and once you do that it is added to the reply your making. Be sure to place the cursor precisely where you want the photo to appear like I just did as an example below...this is simple...go try it... :D

Robert

stephen neill

Postby stephen neill » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:33 pm

Brian - Hopefully you will figure out how to post photos on this list. A number of us would enjoy seeing them, and if they are to be sold, a number of us would be interested in buying them and any other older O scale items.

If you can't figure out how to post the pictures directly, consider emailing them to one of the list members to post for you. Several would be happy to do it; if it will help you, my email is suneill@yahoo.com.

Stephen Neill

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:48 pm

Agree. Should we again attempt a doorstop photo thread? Mine keep failing to live.

railandsail

Postby railandsail » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:43 pm

Experiment with image attaching. (I took a few photos of the one unit he left with me, but the lighting outside was terrible yesterday). And I am suddenly having some Auto focusing problems with my up to now older Fuji camera?
DSCF1708, ps1000.jpg
DSCF1708, ps1000.jpg (92.61 KiB) Viewed 8680 times

DSCF1709, ps1000.jpg
DSCF1709, ps1000.jpg (116.27 KiB) Viewed 8680 times

DSCF1711.JPG
DSCF1711.JPG (146.71 KiB) Viewed 8680 times

DSCF1710.JPG
DSCF1710.JPG (56.79 KiB) Viewed 8680 times

DSCF1701, ps1000.jpg
DSCF1701, ps1000.jpg (96.47 KiB) Viewed 8680 times

DSCF1706, ps1000.jpg
DSCF1706, ps1000.jpg (159.6 KiB) Viewed 8680 times

Carey Williams

Postby Carey Williams » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:50 am

Thank you for posting the photos of your F unit ...look forward to seeing the other units ...hopefully a few of the missing bits will show up for this unit
Cheers Carey

J. S. Bach

Postby J. S. Bach » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:46 pm

railandsail wrote:Experiment with image attaching. (I took a few photos of the one unit he left with me, but the lighting outside was terrible yesterday). And I am suddenly having some Auto focusing problems with my up to now older Fuji camera?
DSCF1709, ps1000.jpg

Air horns for ½" scale? Love them!

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”