Recent acquisitions & restoration projects.....

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
Rufus T. Firefly

Re: Recent acquisitions & restoration projects.....

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:29 pm

Went back and lettered this one while I had the dry transfers out on the bench...

Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

Jay Criswell

Postby Jay Criswell » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:38 pm

That's really cool. Very well done. How much fun was it to apply the lettering squeezed in between the braces?

Jay

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:18 pm

Jay Criswell wrote:That's really cool. Very well done. How much fun was it to apply the lettering squeezed in between the braces?

Thanks, Jay!

With dry transfers it was surprisingly easy. Cut and position; hold in place with tweezer tips, hit with the embosser tip, and peel carefully.

I've been using dry transfers over 30 years - once upon a time they were what chemists used to make figures and illustrations so using the tip to get them to transfer cleanly off is something I have a bit of practice with - nonetheless, no decal film, no gloss coat, no dull coat (no Future wax...).

For simple lettering, hard to beat and Clover House has a lot of alphabet choices. A little while back I got a number of pages of the road names that I use mad up in both white and gold.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

Jay Criswell

Postby Jay Criswell » Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:04 pm

Mr. RFT,

Yeah, I've been known to use them. As a matter of fact, I just finished this model. No, it's not mine. I built it for someone and boy was it a lot of work.

I too, have a huge collection of Clover transfers. They are waiting for the right car and mood by your truly. I don't know about you but I've found the dry transfers are better for some applications (no pun intended) than decals. Nice flat surfaces are ideal (for me).

Jay

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:15 pm

Jay Criswell wrote:Mr. RFT,

Yeah, I've been known to use them. As a matter of fact, I just finished this model. No, it's not mine. I built it for someone and boy was it a lot of work.

Hmmm...... I've got 2-3 of those to build.

I too, have a huge collection of Clover transfers. They are waiting for the right car and mood by your truly. I don't know about you but I've found the dry transfers are better for some applications (no pun intended) than decals. Nice flat surfaces are ideal (for me).

Neither flat nor even even or smooth.....Clover House transfers!

John Webster

Postby John Webster » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:34 pm

Lovely tank Rufus, is it a kit?
You begin flying with a full bag of luck and an empty bag for experience. The object is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:40 am

John Webster wrote:Lovely tank Rufus, is it a kit?

Thanks. Not a kit - just one of my re-visitations to the old Hinckly & Schmitt spring water tank car.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:10 pm

Just arrived in the shop today - got a little lucky and scored this off eBay....

Got luckier yet and scored this at Strasburg bright and early on Sat.

It's got a Wagner drive under it that I have yet to test out, but at the price paid, it doesn't matter if it works of not.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:34 pm

A little hopper car that I picked up at the O scale Nat'l that was in a LWS box - I have only glanced at it at the time being far more interested in a LaBelle kit that I needed for a specific project, but I added this to the pile and paid for the lot w/o paying any more attention to it.

PSC car

rex desilets

Postby rex desilets » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:31 pm

Looks way too late for you, Rufus!!
Now, if you want to thin out your collection.... :mrgreen
“Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.” – John Adams

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:02 pm

Rufus,
It was @ 60 years ago when I saw the Warrior River Railway in the Birmingham, Alabama area.
I am not at all sure of the dates, could be later but not earlier.
I think it was using diesels then but I'm not sure. If this is the same railway do you know
when they dropped the electrics?
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:30 am

rex desilets wrote:Looks way too late for you, Rufus!!
Now, if you want to thin out your collection.... :mrgreen

Got money? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm actually trading out a few USH/MG hoppers to justify keeping this one for my anachronism train.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:32 am

rogruth wrote:Rufus,
It was @ 60 years ago when I saw the Warrior River Railway in the Birmingham, Alabama area.
I am not at all sure of the dates, could be later but not earlier.
I think it was using diesels then but I'm not sure. If this is the same railway do you know
when they dropped the electrics?

No idea, Roger. I'd actually like to know more about it myself - found that steeple cab on a table in Strasburg and snagged it w/o hesitation.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:46 pm

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:44 pm

I like it. Tank cars are my favorite freight cars.

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”