Model Train Journal Classifieds
MTJ Home - MTJ Forums
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: American Standard Car Co. Hvywt pass car building tips?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:16 pm 

Hello all,
Any tips on building "white box" Great Trains - American Standard Car Co. Heavyweight passenger cars? On a recent trip to the Batcave, I unearthed a cache of these long lost cars. Contents inside reveal: Resin car sides, some with resin roofs, and most with wood roofs with resin curved ends. Wood floors. Varying amount of underbody details, both metal and resin, no trucks or couplers. Some have a sketchy prototype side view drawing. No instructions included.
I have heard a variety of comments over the years - build from the roof down, gluing the sides to the roof; or glue the sides to the floor, and build up; replace the floor with thicker material; use x brand sandpaper because resin has metal powder and it eats up blades; don't let the finished car sit on the track or it will sag as the resin deforms... :shock: what the heck?
I'd appreciate comments as to lighting, glue selection, squaring ends and roof, etc.
Thanks!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: American Standard Car Co. Hvywt pass car building tips?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:55 am 

I built a couple of these American Standard kits many years ago. Still no sag, warp, or melt down :mrgreen: Glues probably used: 5 min epoxy, wood glue, CA. In addition to the glues, Testers Plastic Putty was recommended for filling gaps between parts. Cars were air brush painted with Floquil (the original).

Cars with wood roof probably could be assembled either way. As the cast roofs tend to have a bend, they should be glued to the sides to keep everything straight. I prefer to have the roof and sides joined anyway to keep light from showing through the seam.

I have my own "batcave" stock of a few more of these kits to build "one day". I opened one to check what was there for instructions. There were two sheets of paper printed both sides with "applies to all kits" type general assembly stuff plus a drawing showing the interior arrangement. Let me know if you would like me to scan and email you a copy.

For lighting I would now use LEDs. The HO guys have ready made LED lighting strips if you didn't want to wire up your own.

Extra detail parts and interior kits are available from Keil Line.
Charlie

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:58 am 

These were very nice looking cars. I like metal, so never tried one. Be sure to lay in some lacquer-based sanding sealer.

My favorites are the Exacta molded copper heavyweight sides. I only have one, but it compares well with the PSC cars that I keep semi-hidden.

I mostly run the venerable Walthes cars - easy to get good gloss sides and believable decals, and good enough to make a realistic train. Not as accurate as the brass, and my guests do not give them a second glance, but I like them.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:32 pm 

Please let know how to contact you by email so I can get some basic instructions. The email botton does not permit me to contact other members - how useful. :roll:
Thanks for your replies.

Profile E-mail