Model Train Journal Classifieds
MTJ Home - MTJ Forums
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Ash pits
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:24 pm 

Anyone modeled these on your layouts? I would like an idea of dimensions/size etc.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Ash pits
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:47 pm 

Greg,

I think Kalmback has a publication that covers yard,shop and roundhouse facilities but I don't remember the title.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:42 am 

Well ash pits are definitely part of steam loco services. Several modeling oddities are in fact. I am not sure who might offer these as kits. I scratch build what I need. Here is a photo of a coal drop located at the rear of my coal shut. Hoppers would discharge loads of coal to be conveyed up into the coal shut using this sort of facility.

Bob

Attachment:
coal mech_opt.jpg
coal mech_opt.jpg [ 48.73 KiB | Viewed 846 times ]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:03 pm 

Robert! That is trick as all get out!!! Your skills never cease to amaze me!!!! :D :D :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:56 pm 

gregj410 wrote:
Anyone modeled these on your layouts? I would like an idea of dimensions/size etc.

Here are a couple of examples.

The first one is on Jack Wheelihan's Central Connecting Railroad. The ash pit is only on the inbound track, and the Great Northern M-2 2-6-8-0 is backing over it (being an oil burner, it doesn't need it :mrgreen: ). The ash is discharged into the pit under the track, and then somebody has to get underneath the tracks, and shovel it out to the conveyer, which carries it over to an ash car on the track next to it.

This view shows the conveyor (A St. Charles Modelworks resin kit), and the ash gondola.

In this photo of my engine terminal modules on the Independent Hirailers Midwest Division, the ash pit is also, under the inbound tracks, which have the front end of the UP 9000 class 4-12-2 sitting over the pit, has an ash conveyor that goes under the locomotive. The ash discharges into the ash car, and that gets dragged up the rails, and discharges into an ash car directly under the ash conveyor.

Shown below is one of the plans that I did a few years back. I designed this very similar to the setup I used on Jack Wheelihan's layout, which has the ash conveyor and coaling dock share a common track. Ideally, these should be separate, but especially in this scale, we tend to run out of room pretty quickly. The square is the ash pit, and it goes under the inbound and outbound tracks. :mrgreen:

Regards,
GNNPNUT

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:46 am 

Jerry, that's some very classy workmanship both you and jack are doing. Convincing scenery makes all the equipment look so much better. Nice job!

Jon, thank you for your kinds words, from one scenery guy to another it definitely means a lot.

Bob

Profile E-mail