MTJ Home - MTJ Forums
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Betterment Pullman progress
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:47 pm 

Erik C Lindgren wrote:
UnionPacific wrote:
Erik,

I have a bunch of PSC Heavyweight Cars, they went out today FEDEX today to you for reworking and Paint. New Wasatch trucks inclosed so they will actually roll without shorting out.

Take you time, Christmas would be nice. UP two tone gray please.
Roger

Holy Heavyweights Batman!

Woha.. Your serious? :?

Christmas... Oh my I am so behind that well in the beginning of this thread it said 3 years.. EEEK :shock:

I will take a look Roger, I hope I can help. :wink:

Just pulling your leg Erik. I do have a bunch of PSC Heavyweights, Dan Pantera painted some of them, lights and interiors also. Only problem was when I got them back they would not roll down the track and looked like the 4th of July. Dan took them back and traded out the Brass PSC trucks for Plastic PSC trucks. No shorts, but they will hardly move. I going to put my trucks under them .

Beautiful models Erik! What do you mean, you had to put a new floor on them to get them straight? There is a ton of details on the underbody of these models, did you take all of it off and put in back on the new floor?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:17 pm 

UnionPacific wrote:
Erik C Lindgren wrote:
UnionPacific wrote:
Erik,

I have a bunch of PSC Heavyweight Cars, they went out today FEDEX today to you for reworking and Paint. New Wasatch trucks inclosed so they will actually roll without shorting out.

Take you time, Christmas would be nice. UP two tone gray please.
Roger

Holy Heavyweights Batman!

Woha.. Your serious? :?

Christmas... Oh my I am so behind that well in the beginning of this thread it said 3 years.. EEEK :shock:

I will take a look Roger, I hope I can help. :wink:

Just pulling your leg Erik. I do have a bunch of PSC Heavyweights, Dan Pantera painted some of them, lights and interiors also. Only problem was when I got them back they would not roll down the track and looked like the 4th of July. Dan took them back and traded out the Brass PSC trucks for Plastic PSC trucks. No shorts, but they will hardly move. I going to put my trucks under them .

Beautiful models Erik! What do you mean, you had to put a new floor on them to get them straight? There is a ton of details on the underbody of these models, did you take all of it off and put in back on the new floor?

Roger,

I would be happy to paint up a few and I could arrange to get them straightened out for you also. Thanks for the vote of confidence and compliments. :D

On two of them the floor or brass base was the cause of the twist. After a total removal of all the details and the center sill a few measurements of where the parts were on the original the new one went right together. Once the body was re-twisted back and fit it was a box again. The whole dynamic between the center sill not being square and the details parts it was impossible to get it to lie flat no matter what I did.. :x So off they went! A new piece of brass was procured and the edges turned. :!:

I love these models and go crazy over them; likely the first time I saw one when I was pup of about 10 years back in 1986 I was hooked. It was not until maybe 2003 when I was finally able to buy some of my own. Some of these guys are RARE too.. I had a chance for a 16 section with AC walked away right here in Denver for a restroom break and another guy nabbed it! :cry: :evil: I was so disappointed. It is likely in closet wasting away. :roll: I know the guy. He will never sell among the thousands of pieces he has. :?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:24 pm 

R.K. Maroon wrote:
Erik C Lindgren wrote:
The body was typically warped and fixed using new brass and reworking the roof to eliminate the twist. A new floor and a total reworking of the frame and you have a square museum class display model

Apparently this is well known, for how else to explain the bid price (so far!) on this twisted sister:

Attachment:
PSC_01.JPG

Attachment:
PSC_02.JPG

Too bad -- I need a 12 or 14 section sleeper for my Milwaukee Road Columbian but this one is out of my budget, especially as there is brasswork, paint, and decals left even after the cash goes out the door.

Guess I will have to wait for a Walthers or American Standard to float by.

Nice one, though, Erik -- very nice indeed!

Hey man.. Have you looked at the Golden Gate Depot cars yet? :o The 12-1 is outstanding. Or a Sunset/3rd Rail 12-1 is also very good but twice the price. You would need to gut the brass Sunset 12-1.. interiors TOTALLY SUCK.. :cry: but the Golden Gate cars interiors are like Smithsonian Lionel NYC car quality.. NO JOKE! Colors are dead on, the partitions are where they are suppose to be the seats are right, they are just great except for those HUGE arse doors..... Go figure. Why they could not do a Branch-line Models HO scale car in O I have no idea. :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:26 pm 

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:32 am 

Erik C Lindgren wrote:
On two of them the floor or brass base was the cause of the twist. After a total removal of all the details and the center sill a few measurements of where the parts were on the original the new one went right together. Once the body was re-twisted back and fit it was a box again. The whole dynamic between the center sill not being square and the details parts it was impossible to get it to lie flat no matter what I did.. :x So off they went! A new piece of brass was procured and the edges turned. :!:

That's a lot of work in there and somehow I think that you've given us the short version of the process, :wink:

What do you mean by "the edges turned"??

1) Never tell everything that you know…

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:29 am 

Erik C Lindgren wrote:
Have you looked at the Golden Gate Depot cars yet? The 12-1 is outstanding

Yes, and I should have put them on the list. As best I can tell, the GGD 12-1 did not come in Milwaukee Road (please correct me if I am mistaken). I bid on an unpainted version that went by on eBay a while back, but it sold for more than the retail price (!). I could buy one painted in Lackawanna or similar for a lot less, but I am hesitant at present to paint over what is otherwise a nicely finished car (for a mix of philosophical and practical reasons).

I do own a GGD 8-2-1. Here are a couple of pics. Not the best pics in the world -- these were the first I took with my Canon Rebel and light tent and I had not gotten the hang of the settings yet:

The truth is that the 8-2-1 is not the right car for the Columbian. The Columbian in the early 1950s had two regular cars in electrified territory -- a 6-6 and a 12-section tourist sleeper were common. By 1954 (close to the end) only a 14-section sleeper made it all the way from Chicago to Tacoma. Having said all that, the 8-2-1 will be in the consist until a suitable replacement is found (not holding my breath). Some of us have to make compromises to survive modeling in O-scale.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:45 am 

The floor is basically a sheet of heavy brass with the long side edges rolled to slide into the bottom of the body. Holes drilled out for screws that attached to soldered on L channels with tapped holes in corresponding areas along the inside flanks of the body. All the details are attached to this sheet of brass. When the builders put a lot of these together the heat I assume perhaps cause the brass to warp and or the way the parts sit on the sheet causing some shearing forces and resulting in the twist. Furthermore the sides, ends, and rood were all formed and built up I think separately off the floor. With no way to control the squareness, the body was compromised. It is a relatively easy fix and worth doing. If you don't do this some I mean some, not all of them will sit crooked or lean funny. I have found that a minor adjustment on the bolster is all some need. Truly these were hand built models. I wish they used a form in the process than building them on their laps watching TV! :lol:

The troubles ones are all easily fixed. I have several that were perfect right out of the box. And depending on the builder the severity of the issue was better or worse. I had a gentleman tell me they are all "junk-junk! - garbage".... I tried to explain that any competent modeler could repair the problems, well worth the effort, well there you have it, "effort". But I forget often, today many of these folks are arm chair modelers.. If they can't take it out of the box and run it its junk to them. Fortunately for O scale especially for these cars PSC did us a HUGE favor for importing these fine models, all of them.. freight, passenger, and locomotives.. All I need to do is pull them out of the box adjust here there and paint, final detail. Sure beats the Hell out of a box of sticks and some sheet styrene! Now we enter the RTR era and a lot of good stuff is made in RTR.. but what stuff? I need exactly what Atlas is refusing to produce.. "no market for a run of 15,000 so we are not going to make a injected model of that.", Enter - brass models. go figure. GGD has made us 8-1-2, 12-1 Pullman cars and select PRR head end cars in RTR injected plastic, but they are loaded with inaccuracies that I am not willing to live with, over size vestibule doors, sitting too high (3 rail origin), funky coupler mounting adventures, lack of details, etc. These PSC cars are not without errors either like the contour of the roof ends but that was an Ooops on behalf of Robert Hundman's G.O.D.'s PSC used to build these with. I personally don't see the big deal.. One look at the oversize doors on the GGD's and you learn to look past it real quick, at least I do.

The PSC heavies are spectacular, I wish they would have done more like an 8-5 or 6-6 Poplar series cars.. :roll: But I am very happy with the cars they did and I am very pleased with the results. Yes I needed to tweak and fiddle a little; it's O scale not a plastic N scale car.. Look at Louis Bartig, can you imagine what he is thinking when these ignoramus dingy guys say things like, "If I can't drop it on the track out of the box and watch it go, well then it is junk!!!" :x

Whatever.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:52 am 

R.K. Maroon wrote:
Erik C Lindgren wrote:
Have you looked at the Golden Gate Depot cars yet? The 12-1 is outstanding

Yes, and I should have put them on the list. As best I can tell, the GGD 12-1 did not come in Milwaukee Road (please correct me if I am mistaken). I bid on an unpainted version that went by on eBay a while back, but it sold for more than the retail price (!). I could buy one painted in Lackawanna or similar for a lot less, but I am hesitant at present to paint over what is otherwise a nicely finished car (for a mix of philosophical and practical reasons).

I do own a GGD 8-2-1. Here are a couple of pics. Not the best pics in the world -- these were the first I took with my Canon Rebel and light tent and I had not gotten the hang of the settings yet:

The truth is that the 8-2-1 is not the right car for the Columbian. The Columbian in the early 1950s had two regular cars in electrified territory -- a 6-6 and a 12-section tourist sleeper were common. By 1954 (close to the end) only a 14-section sleeper made it all the way from Chicago to Tacoma. Having said all that, the 8-2-1 will be in the consist until a suitable replacement is found (not holding my breath). Some of us have to make compromises to survive modeling in O-scale.

In there lies the biggest problem with RTR injected models, "nobody will care if we substitute a another prototype for the accurate one.." It is simple math, they try to make a run for the money invested in the expensive die cutting process. Don't be surprised if Atlas makes a run of the Budd CZ in Espee Daylight!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I must confess I really like the GGD cars, I am very pleased with them, despite my comments about the oversize doors, I am still very very happy with the GGD heavies. :D

They are beautiful and for the money just plain :!: ROCK :!: 8)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:35 am 

From a 1929 Pullman fold out brochure. 48 inches long when unfolded.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:45 am 

Hey Roger,

When can us O5W broad gauge guys get the 242's? Factory painted Pullman green! 8)

PLEAZE!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:58 am 

I would give my left.. well.. you know.. for this car...

The only 8-5 ever done in O scale for PSC's Empire Builder set.
I don't like the lack of window shades on these models (The Pullman yellowish/green window shades were a trademark of the green look) and the trucks.. :? Roger's trucks RULE! 8)

I have been tempted to buy a set to get this car but it was a 50/50 odds that this car was in the consist of the Exposition Flyer. I have 2 Lake series 10-1-2's and that easily fills the need as often a 10-1-2 was used in place of the 8-5 standard sleeper from 1940-1946 on the Expo through to California.

Hey Roger what do you say, want to import some 8-5's? How about some Poplar series 6-6's? Maybe a decent CB&Q Diner! 2 window CB&Q RPO? 8)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:04 pm 

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:58 pm 

Holy cow, Erik -- Too many trips to the espresso machine this morning?

Thanks, though -- the rest of us really enjoy it when you are busy posting on the forum!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:45 pm 

Without question, great rundown and pictorial on some great passenger cars.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:47 pm 

I have ten PSC. I got all but one to roll, and that one got Lobaugh trucks, temporarily. The PSC trucks are fixable. None of mine are warped.
I did dump a Pullman and a Combine from the first run - I was really put off by the roof end curvature. Later runs were better.
Someday, mine will get Scale Coat and decals. I prefer the Walthers for painting and running.