NYC at 'breaking point'

Play nice and have fun...
Neil

Re: NYC at 'breaking point'

Postby Neil » Fri May 19, 2023 11:17 am

Isn't it odd that know nothings believe the mass media when they have something negative (however inaccurate and hysterical) to say about New York, but consider the mass media liars when they tell you about crimes from right wing nutjobs?
Neil

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Fri May 19, 2023 11:48 am

Neil wrote:New York City is in a lot better shape than Texas.

That's excellent because it looks like you have several hundred thousands heading your way looking for a good home.
Will you have jobs for all of them ?

From a blue state Colorado Gov. Jared Polis send migrants to major cities including New York, Mayor Eric Adams said warning that the nation’s largest city is already struggling to deal an influx of people sent from Texas and other Republican-led states.

However, the Democratic governor told POLITICO shortly afterward that the state has been helping asylum seekers reach their final destinations — including New York City — for weeks.

gregj410

Postby gregj410 » Fri May 19, 2023 1:31 pm

Dr Dumberg is not interested in facts, for that would get in the way of his ideology. You see his fertile yet pea brain was indoctrinated at Yale back in 75, rendering it capable of thinking only one way.

Coming on here casting aspersions on those that are capable of thinking for themselves or differently than he.

Most of his posts could be copied and pasted on various threads, as they are all the same nonsense we’ve come to expect from him/her/he or whatever he identifies as, because you know he drank that kool aid too.

Although he’s as likely to be able to copy and paste as he is to snap fast track together.

Neil

Postby Neil » Fri May 19, 2023 8:35 pm

New York City has always been the desired destination of many immigrants since the 19th century and before. It is the wealthiest city, the most vibrant and usually the most receptive to the needs and desires of political and economic refugees. You've perhaps heard of the Statue of Liberty? :).

We could greatly improve the logistics and quality of the experience if as a nation we weren't so divided into Christians and Faux Christians, the former having apparently read and learned from the New Testament, and the latter having largely ignored the parts where instructions on honoring the poor and aggrieved are mentioned time and again. Seriously. We obviously cannot solve the world's problems, but we can have structured and productive immigration policies, which neither party seems to be able to agree on. We could fix our own homeless problem, but choose not to. Addressing these issues would improve everyone's quality of life in cities and suburbs (and even some rural areas that need workers and have vacant housing/offices).

The problem is not one of the major problems we face nationally, but it is on the list. Given that we are a nation of immigrants and that almost every voter represents families that arrived within the last century, you'd think we could do a better, saner and less divisive job developing policies. Clearly between the extremes of allowing everyone in and building walls to keep everyone out, there is some sensible middle ground.
Neil

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Fri May 19, 2023 11:12 pm

Neil will there be jobs for all the people that are arriving in NYC that pay enough for them to afford to pay the high rent for a place to live. I have no idea what there education level is that they could get a high paying job.

Even if you were to fast track asylum applications where would they be able to afford to live in NYC.

Neil

Postby Neil » Sat May 20, 2023 8:10 am

I doubt there are jobs in NYC for most of these refugees, other than in the restaurant and hotel businesses. Upstate NY is a much better chance of success, but the weather here is not what these folks are used to, and few speak Spanish. They would be better off to be in areas where Spanish is spoken, such as Texas, which is both growing economically and has lower cost of living.

Of course, the callous fascist who is governor of Texas is one of the Faux Christians who is sending refugees to NYC instead of trying to help them in his own state, where they might reasonably prosper. Helping the oppressed and suffering clearly isn't high on his list of obligations :). Big surprise.
Neil

gregj410

Postby gregj410 » Sat May 20, 2023 8:17 am

Of course, the callous fascist who is governor of Texas is one of the Faux Christians who is sending refugees to NYC instead of trying to help them in his own state, where they might reasonably prosper. Helping the oppressed and suffering clearly isn't high on his list of obligations :). Big surprise.

Let me paraphrase that for you boys and girls. The refugees are starting to get a little to close for Neil’s comfort :lol: Like when they showed up at Martha’s Vineyard. They claimed they loved the refugees and they were all welcomed just not in their hometown’s.

sleepmac

Postby sleepmac » Sat May 20, 2023 9:34 am

Posted by BeauHD on Saturday May 20, 2023 @06:00AM from the more-you-know dept.
New research reveals that New York City is sinking, primarily due to the weight of its tall buildings, exacerbating the threat of flooding from rising sea levels. The Guardian reports:
The Big Apple may be the city that never sleeps but it is a city that certainly sinks, subsiding by approximately 1-2mm each year on average, with some areas of New York City plunging at double this rate, according to researchers. This sinking is exacerbating the impact of sea level rise which is accelerating at around twice the global average as the world's glaciers melt away and seawater expands due to global heating. The water that flanks New York City has risen by about 9in, or 22cm, since 1950 and major flooding events from storms could be up to four times more frequent than now by the end of the century due to the combination of sea level rise and hurricanes strengthened by climate change.

This trend is being magnified by the sheer bulk of New York City's built infrastructure. The researchers calculated that the city's structures, which include the famous Empire State Building and Chrysler Building, weigh a total of 1.68tn lbs, which is roughly equivalent to the weight of 140 million elephants. This enormous heft is pushing down on a jumble of different materials found in New York City's ground. While many of the largest buildings are placed upon solid bedrock, such as schist, there is a mixture of other sands and clays that have been build over, adding to a sinking effect that is naturally occurring anyway along much of the US east coast as the land reacts to the retreat of huge glaciers following the end of the last ice age.
The research has been published in the journal Earth's Future.

E7

Postby E7 » Sat May 20, 2023 10:28 am

Balderdash! It's collapsing from the weight of all those immigrants! We'll have to buy ALL of them water wings! Those Indians who sold Manhattan for $24 worth of beads are laughing their Arses off!!!!

robert.

Postby robert. » Sat May 20, 2023 11:18 am

Texas Gov. Is goving people free rides to NYC. That is worth its weight in gold. If i was Phil Murohy in NJ. I would be worried. Newark Dover and Trenton will end up with all the migrants.
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Sat May 20, 2023 11:51 am

robert. wrote:Texas Gov. Is goving people free rides to NYC. That is worth its weight in gold. If i was Phil Murohy in NJ. I would be worried. Newark Dover and Trenton will end up with all the migrants.

Map: Sanctuary Cities, Counties, and States
https://cis.org/Map-Sanctuary-Cities-Co ... and-States

New Jersey
Newark

New York
Albany
Columbia County
Franklin County
Ithaca
Nassau County
New York City
Onondaga County
St. Lawrence County
Westchester County

Pennsylvania
Allegheny County
Bradford County
Bucks County
Chester County
Clarion County
Dauphin County
Delaware County
Franklin County
Lehigh County
Lycoming County
Montgomery County
Montour County
Northampton County
Philadelphia
Pike County
Westmoreland County

up148

Postby up148 » Sat May 20, 2023 12:06 pm

We need to decide who can get in our country and vet them just like the majority of the nations in the world. Citizenship for those born in this country by mothers who sneaked in to give birth is absurd. The only way to decide who gets in, is keep the illegals out and if that requires a wall....so be it. Every country in the world was built by emigrants during their growth, but the country that allows it to continue forever will loose everything they fought for. The basic answer isn't rocket science for the US, but we're fighting against a world order who wants this overpopulation as a means of control and we all know that. It's not being a good Samaritan to let them in, it's elitism by those really controlling our country and the world. They want the chaos to get the control they want/need/seek. Scary sh*t.

Neil

Postby Neil » Sat May 20, 2023 12:13 pm

Personally, I check for the world order advocating overpopulation in my closet, and under my bed every night before I go to sleep.
Neil

robert.

Postby robert. » Sat May 20, 2023 2:32 pm

Neil wrote:Personally, I check for the world order advocating overpopulation in my closet, and under my bed every night before I go to sleep.

Makes one wonder why republicans dońt promote pro choice. Keeps to population lower.
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Sat May 20, 2023 3:07 pm

robert. wrote:
Neil wrote:Personally, I check for the world order advocating overpopulation in my closet, and under my bed every night before I go to sleep.

Makes one wonder why republicans dońt promote pro choice. Keeps to population lower.

Probably for the same reason that Catholics don't promote pro choice. Except for Joe Biden. :wink: :mrgreen:

It appears to me that the majority of women that are pro choice are progressive liberals. I have no problem with them aborting. :wink: :wink: :wink:

Return to “The Club Car Lounge”