Hmmm, nothing says "Merry Christmas" like a ...

Play nice and have fun...
J. S. Bach

Hmmm, nothing says "Merry Christmas" like a ...

Postby J. S. Bach » Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:16 pm

ScaleCraft

Re: Hmmm, nothing says "Merry Christmas" like a ...

Postby ScaleCraft » Fri Oct 14, 2022 3:16 pm

Except...that's a Sherman Firefly (Medium Tank, M4A4) Tank Destroyer / Medium Tank [ 1944 ]
Distinctive. Not cherman.
Dave....collector, restorer, and operator of the finest doorstops

gregj410

Postby gregj410 » Fri Oct 14, 2022 3:52 pm

For the man who has everything :shock:

free image hosting

E7

Postby E7 » Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:55 pm

Not high on my list of gotta haves.

up148

Postby up148 » Sat Oct 15, 2022 1:52 pm

Yep, back in the 60's and early 70's, to wear this sweater would label you a war monger.........my how things have changed.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:03 pm

ScaleCraft wrote:Except...that's a Sherman Firefly (Medium Tank, M4A4) Tank Destroyer / Medium Tank [ 1944 ]
Distinctive. Not cherman.

The one on the sweater in front of the Christmas trees is definitely a Pzkpfw VI King Tiger, or Royal Tiger as originally referred to. It looks like the band across the center features a number of different vehicles, ranging from WWII types to later Warsaw Pact and NATO member vehicles.

I've never understood the great fascination many hold for the German Army and its equipment.

Mitch

Postby Mitch » Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:02 am

healey36, maybe the fascination with the German stuff is because they had so many weapon innovations? The Panther and Tiger tanks were superior to anything the US or the Brits and Russians had during WWII until the very end of the war. And any of the tanks fitted with the 88MM gun, and any of the Germany artillery that were 88s in support, were responsible for hundreds of destroyed allied tanks & crews. Sherman's were gas powered; the Tigers were diesels. Even a minor hit on a Sherman from artillery, mortar, or small arms armor piercing tracers and the tank burnt, with hopefully the crew able to escape before explosion. German machine guns had a much faster rate of fire than anything the US had, and how about that grenade on a stick called the "potato masher"? Made it easier to throw in close combat. Submachine guns with a 90 degree barrel to shoot around corners in city street combat. Not very accurate but could be used as a covering fire until regular infantry could get a hold of the situation. And never forget the most coveted weapon that was brought back home by US troops, the German Luger 9MM, (and thousands of '98 Mauser rifles). Although many different models of automatic handguns are made nowadays, the toggle topped Luger still has the respect of handgun aficionados everywhere. There were many other products that were firsts, and I guess many folks are in awe of some of those innovations?
If you agree with the Progressives, it's freedom of speech. If you disagree, it's hate speech. There are no alternatives.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:12 am

Mitch, I would agree that they were highly innovative, but I think the notion of their superiority is largely a myth. Much of their stuff was highly unreliable in the field, especially their heavier tanks. The problem was compounded by their lack of recovery equipment capable of handling their heaviest gear, resulting in tanks disabled with mechanical problems that were left behind (the Germans were pretty much in retreat from mid-1943 on). I would totally agree that the dual-purpose 88mm gun was the queen of the battlefield, nearly from the beginning. No one had anything that could stand up to it if in the hands of a capable crew. Anti-tank, artillery piece, anti-aircraft, naval gun, it could do it all. Certainly one of the best ordnance examples in military history.

Best tank of the war, the Russian T-34 series, hands down.

G3750

Postby G3750 » Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:10 am

Dave,

"Tanks" for that. :lol:

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :oops:

George
What is a 'Conservative'? "Someone who wants society and policy to recognize objective reality- economic, biological, and historical."

—Katy Faust

Return to “The Club Car Lounge”