Ooooops.....I mean UPS

Play nice and have fun...
robert.

Re: Ooooops.....I mean UPS

Postby robert. » Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:38 pm

Fedex and Amazon packages can end up in your mailbox. Small packages are delivered by fedex and Amazon to your local post. Then a mail carrier takes them the final leg of their trip . Right to your mailbox.
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:35 pm

robert. wrote:Fedex and Amazon packages can end up in your mailbox. Small packages are delivered by fedex and Amazon to your local post. Then a mail carrier takes them the final leg of their trip . Right to your mailbox.

Which is not what we were discussing which was that Fedex and Amazon were themselves directly delivering to mail boxes.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

robert.

Postby robert. » Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:25 pm

Did anybody see a fedex or amazon employee but a package in their mailbox?

up148

Postby up148 » Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:01 am

Yes, I have personally seen an Amazon employee put it in our mailbox and found other Amazon deliveries in the box after our normal mail was taken out. I've never experienced a UPS delivery to our mailbox.

E7

Postby E7 » Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:24 am

up148 wrote:Yes, I have personally seen an Amazon employee put it in our mailbox and found other Amazon deliveries in the box after our normal mail was taken out. I've never experienced a UPS delivery to our mailbox.

Not that it doesn't happen, but I think it is against the law to put ANYTHING other than US mail in a mailbox. Enforcement would be an issue, and I am guessing it would have to be originated by the mail recipient.

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:41 am

E7 wrote:
up148 wrote:Yes, I have personally seen an Amazon employee put it in our mailbox and found other Amazon deliveries in the box after our normal mail was taken out. I've never experienced a UPS delivery to our mailbox.

Not that it doesn't happen, but I think it is against the law to put ANYTHING other than US mail in a mailbox. Enforcement would be an issue, and I am guessing it would have to be originated by the mail recipient.

At least it used to be until Brandon started pushing for his Legacy.

I know our last two carriers would go ape-poop when they found out.
They told me only items with postage on them.

But, I can think of at least two, maybe three, blocked forum members who will probably come back with some BS about how they've seen it, so it MUST be legal.

Like they read it on the internet, so it must be true?

But, Mailbox Restriction law of 1934, upheld in 1981, still current today:

https://about.usps.com/news/state-relea ... 0_0909.htm
Dave....collector, restorer, and operator of the finest doorstops

robert.

Postby robert. » Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:44 am

I went through a first time candidate meeting. One of the first things they covered wad mailboxes . DO NOT PLACE ANYTHING ON OR IN A MAILBOX. Mailboxes are owned by the USPS. Not the homeowner. All the other statements made by the Board of Election can be open to interpretation. Their mailbox statement is very clear.

up148

Postby up148 » Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:45 am

Our mail carrier uses a van and is one of the most lazy carriers we've ever had. Looks like a "hey man" and I doubt he'd take the time to report an infraction.

robert.

Postby robert. » Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:30 pm

You may be right about your regular carrier. But a substitute that wants to move up in the post office would love to report 200 violations. or a homeowner from a different party that wants to have a candidate removed.

E7

Postby E7 » Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:55 pm

robert. wrote:Mailboxes are owned by the USPS. Not the homeowner.

I think that means the large type on street corners and "cluster" boxes, but I regret to inform them the one I paid for is mine, and if I move it's going with me. :mrgreen:

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:56 pm

robert. wrote:Mailboxes are owned by the USPS. Not the homeowner.

Interesting. I'm not sure I understand how the USPS owns what I bought and paid for, and then installed myself. Maybe they "own" exclusive use of it for mail delivery...but I'm the one that maintains and repairs it. Now my PO box over at the PO, that's something I lease from the PO.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

robert.

Postby robert. » Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:16 pm

No matter who makes it, buys it or installs. It is federal property once it’s installed.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:15 pm

robert. wrote:No matter who makes it, buys it or installs. It is federal property once it’s installed.

Yes & no. It's covered by a Fed law on vandalism. So what one is doing is actually do is effectively leasing the mailbox to the Gov. in exchange for the price of getting free delivery of the mail. Any this is why there are specifications for what are acceptable and approved mailboxes.

I can remove it and there's no penalty, but I won't get mail delivered. I actually checked on this for my house in PA. So, I don't get any mail delivered in PA, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “The Club Car Lounge”