Electric cars

Play nice and have fun...
HONDO74

Re: Electric cars

Postby HONDO74 » Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:40 pm

EV BATTERY REPLACEMENT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdR6BcLLNCU

The car is a 2018 Chevrolet Bolt! The battery pack weighs 800 pounds. Not a job for a shade tree mechanic. :wink:

Ever question how hard it is to change a battery on an EV? The answer may be easier than you thought!

Join Terry as he walks us through how to change the battery pack on a Chevrolet Bolt!

Many may think that changing an EV battery is a long hard process - when Terry explains it is as easy as changing batteries in a flashlight - just on a larger scale!

Follow along the full process from dropping out the old battery and moving the new one in place!

Battery replacements are determined by GM as a global recall out of an abundance of safety related to the Chevrolet Bolt

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:40 pm

https://www.currentautomotive.com/how-m ... ment-cost/
$16K+.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/285218241284
Used! Tested! Inspected! $6K, $500 ship.

I dunno about you, but I ain't gonna even try.

HONDO74 wrote:EV BATTERY REPLACEMENT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdR6BcLLNCU

The car is a 2018 Chevrolet Bolt! The battery pack weighs 800 pounds. Not a job for a shade tree mechanic. :wink:

Ever question how hard it is to change a battery on an EV? The answer may be easier than you thought!

Join Terry as he walks us through how to change the battery pack on a Chevrolet Bolt!

Many may think that changing an EV battery is a long hard process - when Terry explains it is as easy as changing batteries in a flashlight - just on a larger scale!

Follow along the full process from dropping out the old battery and moving the new one in place!

Battery replacements are determined by GM as a global recall out of an abundance of safety related to the Chevrolet Bolt
Dave....collector, restorer, and operator of the finest doorstops

v8vega

Postby v8vega » Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:05 am

Eqinox is replacing bolt, it is a considerably bigger car. I don't want one. At most dealers you have to wait to get a new Bolt and some have added on to the price.

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:04 am

v8vega wrote:Eqinox is replacing bolt, it is a considerably bigger car. I don't want one. At most dealers you have to wait to get a new Bolt and some have added on to the price.

Now that you own a Bolt tell us more about how you like it what maybe you don't like about it

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:14 pm

HONDO74 wrote:Now that you own a Bolt tell us more about how you like it what maybe you don't like about it

Seems he's off to a positive start:

I bought a 2018 Chevy Bolt premier yesterday, 30,000 miles, looks like new. It was a lease return, Priemier means all the options which I wanted. Has a lot of back up aids that I want and need. I'm only average with computers if that and everything is controlled by computer on this car, I have a lot to learn. I have been reading about and watching YouTube videos on Bolts for some time and checking the ads and I knew what I wanted and the prices, I got a good deal.
This is likely my last car. I'm retired and all my driving is local, 110 volt charging will be fine with me. I'm keeping my Integra, it has been reliable but things do happen to old cars.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:16 pm

v8vega wrote:Eqinox is replacing bolt, it is a considerably bigger car. I don't want one. At most dealers you have to wait to get a new Bolt and some have added on to the price.

Last year when I was car shopping (buying, there's no shopping anymore...), every dealer had a sign up in the showroom that they were tacking on a $1k surcharge to every sale.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

Mitch

Postby Mitch » Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:41 pm

Sizewise, the Equinox is on a par with the Jeep Cherokee. Even though I was a CJD technician, I prepped 5 or 6 of them as used trade ins, and I found that I liked them better than our own Cherokee. If I had the jing and was in the market for a new car for my wife, I believe I'd go with the Equinox, but only if the 2.5L gas engine would still be available.
If you agree with the Progressives, it's freedom of speech. If you disagree, it's hate speech. There are no alternatives.

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Mon May 01, 2023 7:42 am

I think we all saw this one coming. No free lunch because you bought an electric car

With the lack of tax revenue from oil and gas/diesel to maintain the roads those that use them will have to pay.

Texas bill would slap $200 annual fee on electric car drivers
Environmental and consumer protection groups oppose Texas bill that would charge electric vehicle drivers $200 each year
https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/te ... ar-drivers

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon May 01, 2023 8:44 am

HONDO74 wrote:I think we all saw this one coming. No free lunch because you bought an electric car

With the lack of tax revenue from oil and gas/diesel to maintain the roads those that use them will have to pay.

Nothing new here; that's been proposed in many states that are expecting tax losses.
Probably also jack up inspection fees to counter emissions inspection loss income, too.

Still 4-5 tanks of gas and you could be at $200 pretty easily.

Then again....it's TX.

v8vega

Postby v8vega » Mon May 01, 2023 11:05 am

I go on a huge forum City-data with all kinds of categories. The goverment has a huge hurdel to get over to overcome the resistance of most against electric cars. People post over and over listing the disadvantages of electric cars usually exaggerating or showing their ignorance with untruths. Most of my friends say they will never buy a electric car.
I love my Bolt, it drives so smooth with no waiting for rpm to build or gear shifting, fun to drive, You certainly can't call a 4 door tall, suv style car a sports car but Bolt is manuravable like one. Perfect for retired who don't take trips much. Saving money was a small part of my reasoning when I was considering getting one, I figure very roughly I only save $600 a year on gas. EV tires and 12 volt batteries cost more.
When you 1st get one it's a little unnerving that you turn it on and dead silent it goes.

Mitch

Postby Mitch » Mon May 01, 2023 1:07 pm

Texas has a problem with the electric grid as far as distribution across the state and that showed up a couple of winters back when the windmills froze and couldn't produce electric. Also, imagine how many charging stations Texas would need: it's 800+ miles across the state alone. Now all those billions that Biden spent to get (what was it? 30,000 charging stations through out the US), that's just a drop in the bucket for what's really needed. The truth of the matter is: the US electrical grid is in dire need of rebuilding and revamping, and ya just can't expect it to be there 'cause the President said it would be. We not only need gas fired power plants to put out maximum, but we need nuke power too. Europe is 10 years ahead of us in "Green Energy", and look what they're doin. They've had to reopen coal fired plants to get enough power. Europe has more nuke plants, with France the leader. It has been suggested that we erect more nuke plants utilizing smaller reactors like what is used to power an aircraft carrier. (The Gerald R Ford has two, one of which could power a small city). We could have more of them, and they could be erected in places where we wouldn't need miles, (maybe hundreds of miles) of transmission lines. As far as I'm concerned, solar on your home, and thousands of acres of solar shield fields is a bust. The panels only last 6 or 7 years and must be replaced, (at a hefty price tag), and ya need a battery to store excess power, and as of now the panels are all made in China. Why bolster the Chinese economy instead of our own? Then again, remember Solindra, the 1/2 billion boondoggle that never produced a solar panel?
If you agree with the Progressives, it's freedom of speech. If you disagree, it's hate speech. There are no alternatives.

v8vega

Postby v8vega » Mon May 01, 2023 9:56 pm

The 3 main things people think about with electric cars. Cost, used bolts are about the same as comparable Civics but most others do cost more. Range, me being retired my car is nearly fully charged all the time but I know it's a concern with most people. Charging, if you can't charge at home it just isn't practicable to get a electric car.

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Mon May 01, 2023 10:16 pm

v8vega wrote:The 3 main things people think about with electric cars. Cost, used bolts are about the same as comparable Civics but most others do cost more. Range, me being retired my car is nearly fully charged all the time but I know it's a concern with most people. Charging, if you can't charge at home it just isn't practicable to get a electric car.

Do you charge your BOLT inside a garage or outside. What kind of a charger do you use

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue May 02, 2023 8:23 am

v8vega wrote:People post over and over listing the disadvantages of electric cars usually exaggerating or showing their ignorance with untruths.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

v8vega

Postby v8vega » Tue May 02, 2023 9:26 am

I charge in my garage with the 110 volt charger that comes with the car. Almost everyone has a electrician put in 240 volt where you want to charge,(not cheap often) and newer bolts come with a 110 and 240 charge cord. You can really only use 110 charging if you mostly do local driving

Return to “The Club Car Lounge”