The Five Laws of Stupidity

Play nice and have fun...
Neil

Re: The Five Laws of Stupidity

Postby Neil » Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:02 pm

"Are we supposed to become a gender less society ??"

Of course not. But the number of individuals who don't identify with either gender or with both is extraordinarily small. But we don't need religious zealots and lawyers telling us as physicians who and how we can treat people with serious issues with gender identity. Denying them doesn't make them go away.

And homophobia is no better than racism, anti-semitism or xenophobia. Just another way of hating people who are unlike yourself. The path to a repressive and ugly, mean spirited society.

And by the way, I am not a zealous Democrat. I am against hatred, stupidity, destruction and narrow mindedness, and during recent times cynical low-lifes like Cruz, Trump, Hawley, etc. have happened to be mainstream Republicans. If it was the other way around, I'd be happy to vote Republican. There are no equivalents to Cruz, Trump, DeSantis and Hawley, etc. in the Democratic party. The left wing of the Democratic party who correspond to these fascists and hate mongers can hold their meetings in a tiny conference room :). And they are powerless, pretty much, unlike the mentioned Republican leaders. So don't quote me Ihlan or Ocasio-Cortez who are essentially powerless in the Democratic party currently. Visible but powerless.
Neil

robert.

Postby robert. » Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:08 pm

What has Desantis done wrong? Aoc may be powerless buy if enough people like her spew. She'll gain power.
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

Neil

Postby Neil » Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:32 pm

He has opposed simple public health measures such as vaccines and masks.
Neil

robert.

Postby robert. » Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:53 pm

This rag makes it sound as he did it right. https://nypost.com/2022/04/11/ny-handle ... est-study/
I'm all for this unless something really strange is hidden in it. Honestly i can't believe it needs to be a law. As a parent I'm shocked k-3 teachers would discuss this https://www.npr.org/2022/03/28/10892216 ... a-desantis. I's like to see kids not pick on their classmates. I sure as hell don't want my kid to have a class teaching her about boys that remove their penis.

robert.

Postby robert. » Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:03 pm

Florida has 342 deaths per 100,000. While New York has 350 per 100,000. Not much of a difference. I would say. "Florida did what was best for their situation/population" and NY. did what was best for their population. Can you say "Well Florida would have had less covid if?" Somebody will always say " What if"
I'm sure everyone has heard by now. Philly brought back the masks. You can stick a nail in that city. With crime and now masks indoors. Their restaurant business will be sunk.

Neil

Postby Neil » Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:00 pm

There are a lot of factors affecting deaths and infections, including climate. Floridians spend a lot less time indoors in large groups than New York City residents, with no public transportation to speak of. Warmer climates seem to have lower rates in general for respiratory diseases. That's a very important metric but not the only one. The pandemic began on the coasts so New York City has had a lot more time to accumulate deaths. The NY Post is a Murdoch right wing extremist rag that's perfectly happy to see people die for right wing political causes.

Being coy and negative about vaccines and masks as DeSantis has been is irresponsible and subversive of the public health. Pandering to the willfully ignorant and politically driven lunatics of his own party. Hopefully he'll get what he deserves at some point. Cynical son of a gun.
Neil

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:26 pm

robert. wrote:Florida has 342 deaths per 100,000. While New York has 350 per 100,000. Not much of a difference. I would say.

Might be a important difference for 8/100k people.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

robert.

Postby robert. » Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:23 pm

Florida’s average age is 6 years older compared to NY. 42 to 36.

Seaboard Air Line Fan

Postby Seaboard Air Line Fan » Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:46 am

Here's what a Pew research found on gun-related deaths for 2020:

In 2020, 54% of all gun-related deaths in the U.S. were suicides (24,292), while 43% were murders (19,384), according to the CDC. The remaining gun deaths that year were unintentional (535), involved law enforcement (611) or had undetermined circumstances (400).
From here:
https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2 ... n-the-u-s/

The U.S. Department of Transportation’s National Highway Traffic Safety Administration released its 2020 annual traffic crash data, showing that 38,824 lives were lost in traffic crashes nationwide.
From here:
https://www.nhtsa.gov/press-releases/20 ... nce%202007.

Overall, more than 771,000 COVID-19 deaths have been reported in the U.S. during the pandemic. About 385,000 were reported in 2020.
From here:
https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/2021112 ... 2020-total

There were almost 45,000 suicides (all types) in the US in 2020, more people died from the flu and pneumonia (53,495).
From here:
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/f ... le/2778234

Instead of blaming the gun, maybe we need to teach people to get along with one another. Of course, I believe it's in our DNA to do stupid things.

And suicidal people...get them help before it's too late. Taking your own life is permanent, you can't ask for a do-over. Or worse you botch the job and end up having to be cared for for the rest of your life.
BobD aka Drifty

The Crow Flies At Midnight

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:14 am

Seaboard Air Line Fan wrote:............maybe we need to teach people to get along with one another.

That would be new......oh wait, I think that's been tried.......

Of course, I believe it's in our DNA to do stupid things.

Possibly so...
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:48 am

Nearly 92,000 persons in the U.S. died from drug-involved overdose in 2020, including illicit drugs and prescription opioids.
https://nida.nih.gov/drug-topics/trends ... eath-rates

Overall, drug overdose deaths rose from 2019 to 2020 with 91,799 drug overdose deaths reported in 2020. Deaths involving synthetic opioids other than methadone (primarily fentanyl) continued to rise with 56,516 overdose deaths reported in 2020. Those involving psychostimulants with abuse potential (primarily methamphetamine) also continued to increase to 23,837

(primarily fentanyl)

robert.

Postby robert. » Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:47 am

I wonder how deaths there would be , not for Narcan?

robert.

Postby robert. » Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:19 am

robert. wrote:I wonder how deaths there would be , not for Narcan?

A deeper look into Narcan shows. Most people die within a year of receiving Narcan. They stay on the same path and Overdose while nobody is nearby.

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:53 pm

robert. wrote:I wonder how deaths there would be , not for Narcan?

1-year-old needs 3 doses of Narcan after ingesting fentanyl, mother charged
https://www.ky3.com/2022/04/14/1-year-o ... r-charged/

PHOENIX (3TV/CBS5/Gray News) – First responders and medical staff had to use three doses of Narcan on a 1-year-old boy after he ingested fentanyl, according to court documents.

AZFamily reports emergency crews were called to respond to a home in southwest Phoenix for reports of a toddler not breathing.

His mother, 23-year-old Anna Chavez, gave him CPR until they arrived.

Paramedics gave the little boy two doses of Narcan and rushed him to the hospital where he was given a third dose.

According to police, tests revealed the 1-year-old had fentanyl in his system.

Court documents say officers found eight counterfeit pills and about $10,000 in cash inside the home.

Chavez denied there could’ve been fentanyl in the home, saying she cleans the home, according to police.

She told officers she gave the boy a bottle in the morning and afternoon, and he was breathing normally.

robert.

Postby robert. » Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:58 pm

Same thing happened in Pa. About a month ago. An infant died from Drugs.

Return to “The Club Car Lounge”