I got banned from trains.com

Play nice and have fun...
Rufus T. Firefly

Re: I got banned from trains.com

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:04 pm

v8vega wrote:i wonder how Model Railroader magazine is doing?

Sliding steadily downhill.........
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:48 pm

v8vega wrote:i wonder how Model Railroader magazine is doing? that's the mainstay of trains.com. I haven't looked at a issue of MR for a long time. I know they discontinued Garden Railroad magazine another in trains.com.

I used to have a list of deleted magazines. Pitched it as I don't care anymore.

GR, sad....especially after what Clambake did with contracts, agreements, and firing of founders. Birds and Blooms? Astronomy? Three or four others.

Mentally Retarded Magazine was the only thing making any money, and it has shrunk.
Dave....collector, restorer, and operator of the finest doorstops

robert.

Postby robert. » Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:31 pm

Their problems are not unique to them. All magazines are failing. Video killed the radio man and the internet killed the magazine business. Magazine bo longer have quality photos. They all appear to be print in low resolution. OGR’s photos and paper quality is horrible.
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:11 pm

robert. wrote:Their problems are not unique to them. All magazines are failing. Video killed the radio man and the internet killed the magazine business. Magazine bo longer have quality photos. They all appear to be print in low resolution. OGR’s photos and paper quality is horrible.

Well, not all.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:11 pm

and yet....I cannot be the only one who prefers printed medium. Ever try to find that on-line data source you used for years, just to get a "404-Not Found"?

I keep a drawer full of mags from 40's and early 50's. I like going through them occasionally.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:54 pm

ScaleCraft wrote:and yet....I cannot be the only one who prefers printed medium. Ever try to find that on-line data source you used for years, just to get a "404-Not Found"?

Which is why anything truly useful gets printed to a pdf and saved.

I keep a drawer full of mags from 40's and early 50's. I like going through them occasionally.

I don't go that far back; just mid-50's. But I really wish that they were available as searchable pdf files.

robert.

Postby robert. » Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:10 pm

ScaleCraft wrote:and yet....I cannot be the only one who prefers printed medium. Ever try to find that on-line data source you used for years, just to get a "404-Not Found"?

You are not the only one. You guys are far and few between and going in the direction of a wheelwright.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:24 pm

robert. wrote: You are not the only one. You guys are far and few between and going in the direction of a wheelwright.

Funny...I actually have a few wheelwright's tools in my shop, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

robert.

Postby robert. » Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:42 pm

I have them also. They fetch a good dollar on eBay. English ones bring big bucks. I still use mine for making bows.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:52 pm

robert. wrote:I have them also. They fetch a good dollar on eBay. English ones bring big bucks. I still use mine for making bows.

I'd rather give mine to my Amish neighbors. Gave up on selling vintage tools on eBay; too many entitled, rabid tool collectors to deal with there.

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:17 pm

robert. wrote: You are not the only one. You guys are far and few between and going in the direction of a wheelwright.

My one excursion into modern technology is my flip phone.

My computers are XP, e-mail is Outlook Express, my sidearm is a 1911 Colt (NOT a 1911A-1), my vehicles are 1950 Ford F1, flathead V-8, six volt, vacuum wipers, a 1950 Ford Tudor, flathead V-8, six volt, vacuum wipers and OVERDRIVE! with an 8-tube radio.
Jag is a 1964 RHD MK2, 2.4L. My house is a 1929 farmhouse. My trains are all about my age or older. I do things like Marn-0-Stats, fercryinoutloud.

I eschew social media...in fact, I avoid the media. Period.

My R/C for the outdoor line can be older than 25 years, still runs just fine.

Now maybe you understand why I do doorstops.

gregj410

Postby gregj410 » Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:42 pm

My one excursion into modern technology is my flip phone.

That is not modern technology, :lol: however compared to that other list of relics it maybe cutting edge. :lol:

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:13 pm

ScaleCraft wrote:I eschew social media...in fact, I avoid the media. Period.

MTJ is social media...

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:21 pm

....add to the several points made in this thread the impending demise of trainshows, like the big one that used to be at York, PA, and we seem to have a slow-but-sure shredding of our hobby.

Is camaraderie that nourishes our hobby to be found in conversations like this one?

Would young train enthusiasts find this attractive?

robert.

Postby robert. » Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:21 pm

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:....add to the several points made in this thread the impending demise of trainshows, like the big one that used to be at York, PA, and we seem to have a slow-but-sure shredding of our hobby.

Is camaraderie that nourishes our hobby to be found in conversations like this one?

Would young train enthusiasts find this attractive?

Lots of model train info on facebook. t's a shift in how people view it. Not a shredding of this hobby.

Return to “The Club Car Lounge”