WAR GAMES

Play nice and have fun...
HONDO74

WAR GAMES

Postby HONDO74 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:58 pm

Yahoo News
'We're going to lose fast': U.S. Air Force held a war game that started with a Chinese biological attack
https://news.yahoo.com/were-going-to-lo ... 03936.html

Yahoo News
'We're going to lose fast': U.S. Air Force held a war game that started with a Chinese biological attack
James Kitfield
Wed, March 10, 2021, 11:00 AM

Last fall, the U.S. Air Force simulated a conflict set more than a decade in the future that began with a Chinese biological-weapon attack that swept through U.S. bases and warships in the Indo-Pacific region. Then a major Chinese military exercise was used as cover for the deployment of a massive invasion force. The simulation culminated with Chinese missile strikes raining down on U.S. bases and warships in the region, and a lightning air and amphibious assault on the island of Taiwan.

The highly classified war game, which has not been previously made public, took place less than a year after the coronavirus, reportedly originating in a Chinese market, spread to the crew of the USS Theodore Roosevelt aircraft carrier, taking one of the U.S. Navy’s most significant assets out of commission.

Then in September in the midst of the war game, actual Chinese combat aircraft intentionally flew over the rarely crossed median line in the Taiwan Strait in the direction of Taipei an unprecedented 40 times and conducted simulated attacks on the island that Taiwan’s premier called “disturbing.” Amid those provocations, China’s air force released a video showing a bomber capable of carrying nuclear weapons carrying out a simulated attack on Andersen Air Force Base on the U.S. Pacific island of Guam. The title of the Hollywood-like propaganda video was “The god of war H-6K [bomber] goes on the attack!”

In case the new U.S. administration failed to get the intended message behind all that provocative military activity, four days after President Biden took office, a large force of Chinese bombers and fighters flew past Taiwan and launched simulated missile attacks on the USS Roosevelt carrier strike group as it was sailing in international waters in the South China Sea.

Little wonder that many foreign affairs and national security experts believe the global pandemic has accelerated trends that were already pushing the United States and China toward a potential confrontation as the world’s leading status quo and rising power, respectively.

Rufus T. Firefly

Re: WAR GAMES

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:47 pm

HONDO74 wrote:
The highly classified war game, which has not been previously made public......

Apparently not that highly classified if Yahoo News is bloviating about it.

Anyway, the events of last year could have answered that w/o doing anything at all.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

up148

Postby up148 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:48 pm

Hard to believe in this day and age, any country would be stupid enough to think they could make a strike on a major power and have no retaliation. Chemicals, invasion forces, whatever, even if they make the 1st strike, it doesn't take much to push a button in retaliation and start Armageddon, where there will be no winners. :? :? :? :? :?

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:53 pm

up148 wrote:Hard to believe in this day and age, any country would be stupid enough to think they could make a strike on a major power and have no retaliation. Chemicals, invasion forces, whatever, even if they make the 1st strike, it doesn't take much to push a button in retaliation and start Armageddon, where there will be no winners. :? :? :? :? :?

A fast enough biological w/o knowing it's origins would be entirely problematic. But if you're willing to assign blame w/o any actual evidence, then it's all over.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

up148

Postby up148 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:42 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
up148 wrote:Hard to believe in this day and age, any country would be stupid enough to think they could make a strike on a major power and have no retaliation. Chemicals, invasion forces, whatever, even if they make the 1st strike, it doesn't take much to push a button in retaliation and start Armageddon, where there will be no winners. :? :? :? :? :?

A fast enough biological w/o knowing it's origins would be entirely problematic. But if you're willing to assign blame w/o any actual evidence, then it's all over.

Yeah, I can see officials assigning blame correctly or incorrectly and push the button to retaliate. I also believe 99% of what goes on at that level is known by those that need to know, which doesn't include us pawns. Heck, you see movies like Bourne and others and I'm sure technology is much better in the real world than we see in movies....and it's pretty spooky in the movies. I'm sure there are those in this country that saw Covid coming long before we knew about it.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:47 pm

up148 wrote: I'm sure there are those in this country that saw Covid coming long before we knew about it.

A pandemic has been expected for decades; maybe some preparations and actual planned responses will get created now.

chuck

Postby chuck » Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:26 pm

maybe some preparations and actual planned responses will get created now.

You mean re-created. Bush-2 started developing and stocking the warehouses. Obama revised/updated the plan to include details on how to ramp up production/supplies rapidly in the even of an emergency. Trump and company literally tossed the plan in the wastebasket. They didn't even renew the contracts for maintaining the critical supplies/equipment or restock after natural disasters started running down the critical supplies.

I'm sure it seemed like a good idea at the time, even ignoring the private warning from Chinese President Xi back in late January about the seriousness of this disease.
Once I built a railroad, I made it run,
Made it race against time.
Once I built a railroad, now it's done --
Brother, can you spare a dime?

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:12 pm

chuck wrote:
maybe some preparations and actual planned responses will get created now.

You mean re-created. Bush-2 started developing and stocking the warehouses. Obama revised/updated the plan to include details on how to ramp up production/supplies rapidly in the even of an emergency. Trump and company literally tossed the plan in the wastebasket. They didn't even renew the contracts for maintaining the critical supplies/equipment or restock after natural disasters started running down the critical supplies.

All that and more -- all outdated now. Everything needs to be updated and distribution / logistics need to be far better defined.

chuck

Postby chuck » Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:02 pm

Most businesses had been asked to come up with "continuity of business plans" after the first bird flu scare like 25 years ago? We had to come up with lists of critical people and jobs and then procedures that would be implemented in the event of a catastrophic event. Part of the "plan" was that it was to be reviewed annually and updates would be applied on a minimum two year cycle and major reviews about every 5 years. The plans were enlarged in scope to cover pandemics, terror attacks, sustained bad weather, ... aka anything that would disrupt the operation of the organization. Last scope broadening was to cover cyber attacks. These were never "live tested" but they were reviewed and subject to critical analysis, sometimes by outsiders. I KNOW that the US government had a continuation of business plan in the event of a nuclear attack because we had formal training sessions when I worked for the Corps of Engineers. Some of the plans were pretty far fetched but at least someone was thing about this sh*t and I believe there were some red three ring binders on a shelf somewhere with the plan(s) in them.
Once I built a railroad, I made it run,
Made it race against time.
Once I built a railroad, now it's done --
Brother, can you spare a dime?

Return to “The Club Car Lounge”