Reversing Climate Change

Play nice and have fun...
Rufus T. Firefly

Re: Reversing Climate Change

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:09 pm

rogruth wrote:Yes, and if we do as Robert mentioned we will become isolationists and that seems to be a no-no.

Well, it would be doable if we were willing to make some very serious sacrifices. However, the past couple of decades have demonstrated several generations of selfishness and "me, me, me" behavior all while blaming everyone else instead of looking in the mirror.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:35 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
HONDO74 wrote:You may be giving that up sooner than you think along with your classic Mustang as the young ones in congress push to to the far left with the Green New Deal. :wink: Remember the people voted for this....... :lol:

You might also notice that not a one of that far left end is getting appointed anywhere, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You might also notice that we'll probably have a split Congress so pretty close to nothing will get done again for the next 2 years

How do you think congress will be split?
I think, and I don't know much about politics, that the Senate will be a Democrat majority or tied with the tie breaking vote from the Veep.
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

robert.

Postby robert. » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:33 pm

As long as we have Nancy Pelosi, Chuck Shcumer, Mitch Mcconnell and lindsey Graham. Our government will be split
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:31 pm

robert. wrote:As long as we have Nancy Pelosi, Chuck Shcumer, Mitch Mcconnell and lindsey Graham. Our government will be split

If that means no new regulations and taxes then we the people come out ahead. If the democrats get control, Biden has already said he is going to raise taxes. The we the people will get bent over and they won't even us bother to use Vaseline :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Neil

Postby Neil » Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:44 pm

We are the mostly lightly taxed people in the developed world. No one likes taxes. But everyone likes to have roads, airports, police, an army, health care, child care, education and parks. Taxes pay for those important aspects of civilization. Senators and Representatives don't get wealthy off our taxes (unlike in banana republics and Russia, etc.). They get wealthy by selling their services as lobbyists, university presidents and lawyers after they leave public service. Maybe we need more scientists, physicians, electricians, farmers, machinists and others with practical skills in our legislatures?
Neil

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:02 pm

HONDO74 wrote:
robert. wrote:As long as we have Nancy Pelosi, Chuck Shcumer, Mitch Mcconnell and lindsey Graham. Our government will be split

If that means no new regulations and taxes then we the people come out ahead. If the democrats get control, Biden has already said he is going to raise taxes.

If you make under $400k, you probably have very little to be concerned about............
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

robert.

Postby robert. » Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:22 pm

Neil wrote:We are the mostly lightly taxed people in the developed world. No one likes taxes. But everyone likes to have roads, airports, police, an army, health care, child care, education and parks. Taxes pay for those important aspects of civilization. Senators and Representatives don't get wealthy off our taxes (unlike in banana republics and Russia, etc.). They get wealthy by selling their services as lobbyists, university presidents and lawyers after they leave public service. Maybe we need more scientists, physicians, electricians, farmers, machinists and others with practical skills in our legislatures?

Sure we need them. We also need an audit across the board . Lets see where our do rae me really goes. Or how about the military holds a bake sale to buy a bomber?

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:35 pm

Neil wrote:We are the mostly lightly taxed people in the developed world. No one likes taxes. But everyone likes to have roads,

The state and federal tax on fuel is what pays for the roads. Supposed to. now as they ban the internal combustion engine and we all switch over to electric transportation we will be taxed on the miles we drive. That's called a use tax. Those that drive the most miles will be taxed the most. Heavy users.

Al gore wanted to ban the internal combustion engine back in the 90s and or raise the price of gas/diesel to $10 per gallon.

They should raise the price of fuel through taxes to $10 next year to eliminate air pollution and CO2 in the atmosphere. Everyone needs to do their part to help out. Buy an electric car next year. I'm looking forward to getting one. How about you Neil.

Biden’s promise to raise taxes by $4 trillion. Use the money to subsidize the people to buy electric cars.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:48 pm

HONDO74 wrote:......now as they ban the internal combustion engine.........

Who is banning the internal combustion engine? That would include mowers ad yard toys, construction and farm equipment, trains, airplanes, etc. Seems unlikely. Only ban I've heard of was in CA looking to ban internal combustion engine car sales sometime off in the future; not quite the same as banning the internal combustion engine.

Buy an electric car next year.

Not next year; I'm looking to see when the DOT issues standards for recharging ports and stations. At that point franchised charging stations will become a possibility.

I'm looking forward to getting one.

Really, or just being facetious? We were looking at getting one of those smaller cars with the rather high mpg ratings up into the 50s just for commuting, but since retiring we have 2 cars and only 1 gets much use at all.

Neil

Postby Neil » Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:51 pm

If the mandate comes down to use only electric vehicles, I'll comply, because I'm a law abiding citizen :). But until we have adequate solar, hydroelectric, wind and geothermal/tidal electricity, it's not going to do much to reverse climate change, particularly if China continues to blow coal dust and CO2 into the atmosphere as they are doing.
Neil

robert.

Postby robert. » Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:15 pm

Electric car motors generate heat. battery charging generates heats. If we keep generating heat. How will the earth cool down?

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:20 pm

robert. wrote:Electric car motors generate heat. battery charging generates heats. If we keep generating heat. How will the earth cool down?

The universe is a cold and hostile place.

robert.

Postby robert. » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:29 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
robert. wrote:Electric car motors generate heat. battery charging generates heats. If we keep generating heat. How will the earth cool down?

The universe is a cold and hostile place.

alright then. Lets vent our hot air out the hole in the ozone. we can make it a warm and fuzzy place.

Neil

Postby Neil » Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:05 pm

The heat from our cars, air conditioning and gas furnaces aren't directly responsible for global warming, it's the carbon dioxide that acts as an solar energy insulator that causes most human derived global warming, and perhaps a little methane. These gases are the byproduct of combustion or the hydrocarbon industry. You can use as much solar power as you want to power your home or car and it adds pretty much zero to global warming.
Neil

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:26 pm

I don't think any of us on this forum will see any climate change in our lifetimes that will be of any significance.
It has taken several hundred years to come to this point and we seem to be expecting a large change in just a few years.
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

Return to “The Club Car Lounge”