Coronavirus:

Play nice and have fun...
gregj410

Re: Coronavirus:

Postby gregj410 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:49 pm

healey36 wrote:Are there programs that provide free or subsidized phones and service? I wasn't aware of that...probably explains why I frequently see people that look destitute yet carry phones better than the POS I have :lol:

What better way to keep the masses brainwashed than a steady diet of liberal news through their govt phones. :lol:

robert.

Postby robert. » Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:18 pm

They called them Obama phones. 8 years ago when my wife was pregnant . She received one from the hospital. Her Dr. questioned why she did not have a cellphone. Her answer I won't use it so my husband wont pay the contract. She had it for 3 months and they turned it off. For lack of use. At the time she had an app on her laptop. She could call me with that. Pregnant women and moms of little children can get a free phone. As long as you use it
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

gregj410

Postby gregj410 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:07 am

Question: If there are certain characteristics in a persons blood after they’ve had Corvid, like antibodies of some sort(this is what I commonly hear). Than why can’t a blood test reveal wether they’ve had it or not?

chuck

Postby chuck » Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:25 am

Than why can’t a blood test reveal wether they’ve had it or not?

They can and do do this. It is not usually used for advance testing because it involves taking blood. A much more complex process than nasal swabs and the blood has to be handled properly before testing.

It also is only useful in cases to confirm you are either actively infected or were infected. It will not catch subclinical infections or people that were exposed but not actively shedding virus like the nasal swabs MAY catch.
Once I built a railroad, I made it run,
Made it race against time.
Once I built a railroad, now it's done --
Brother, can you spare a dime?

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:46 am

LA mayor implements new coronavirus restrictions as cases spike: 'Cancel everything'
https://www.foxnews.com/us/la-mayor-cor ... -christmas

'It's time to cancel everything,' Garcetti said in a public announcement

Mayor Eric Garcetti on Wednesday issued new coronavirus lockdown restrictions as cases in the city continue to reach record highs.

The city's public health department has reported 414,185 total cases to date, including nearly 6,000 on Wednesday, less than a month away from Christmas.

"It's time to hunker down," Garcetti said in a Wednesday video announcing the new restrictions. "It's time to cancel everything, and if it isn't essential, don't do it. Don't meet up with others outside your household. Don't host a gathering. Don't attend a gathering."

The order, effective immediately, requires all city residents to stay home, unless engaging in a list of essential activities, and all businesses to cease operations.

Public transportation and gatherings are prohibited with the exception of gatherings for outdoor religious services and outdoor protests with social distancing and face masks.

Essential activities include health care operations, grocery store visits, farming, social services, media and music production, plumbing and electricity work and so on, according to the order.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:54 am

Not a terrible thing to do for the rest of the year; more should consider doing the same.

I made my weekly trip to the PO & library, and today the grocery (as fully stocked as I've ever seen it). Done for the week! And got a nice sirloin chopped up and in the pot for chili, :wink:
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:58 am

The Latest: US reaches daily high of nearly 228,000 cases
https://www.ky3.com/2020/12/05/the-late ... 000-cases/

WASHINGTON — Coronavirus infections continue to spread at record levels in the United States, reaching a new daily high of nearly 228,000 cases on Friday.

The 227,885 cases eclipses the previous high of more than 217,000 on Thursday, according to data compiled by Johns Hopkins University.

The seven-day rolling average of COVID-19 attributable deaths in the U.S. has passed 2,000 for the first time since the spring. It reached 2,011 on Friday. Two weeks ago, the seven-day average was 1,448. There were 2,607 deaths reported in the U.S. on Friday.

Globally, Johns Hopkins reports more than 1.5 million people have died from the coronavirus pandemic, including more than 279,000 in the United States.

A coronavirus surge hitting much of the U.S. is threatening to overwhelm hospitals in California. Five San Francisco Bay Area counties have imposed a new stay-at-home order for their residents that will take effect Sunday.

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:13 pm

Masks are critical to stopping coronavirus spread, even at home, CDC says
https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/04/health/c ... index.html

(CNN)Masks are "critical" to controlling the spread of coronavirus, and that includes at home sometimes, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Friday.
A CDC review of what works makes it clear that mask use, physical distancing, avoiding crowds and washing hands all could help control the spread of the virus -- and would allow kids to go back to school and businesses to reopen.
"Consistent and correct use of face masks is a public health strategy critical to reducing respiratory transmission of SARS-CoV-2, particularly in light of estimates that approximately one half of new infections are transmitted by persons who have no symptoms," the CDC summary of guidance reads.
The CDC has gradually been strengthening its recommendations on mask use. "Compelling evidence now supports the benefits of cloth face masks for both source control (to protect others) and, to a lesser extent, protection of the wearer," the CDC's Margaret Honein, Dr. Henry Walke and colleagues wrote.

Masks work so well that certain communities should consider giving them out, the CDC team said.
"A community-level plan for distribution of face masks to specific populations, such as those who might experience barriers to access, should be developed," the CDC team wrote in the agency's weekly report.

My local Walmart is handing out FREE mask when you enter the store. I pick up a new one each time and throw away the old one.

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:13 pm

Covid-19: France moves to night-time curfew from 15 December
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-55266332

France will delay the reopening of cultural venues and introduce a night-time curfew as it struggles to curb the spread of Covid-19.

Prime Minister Jean Castex said the infection rates were not falling as fast as the government had hoped after a lockdown was imposed in late October.

A stay-at-home order will be lifted as planned on 15 December, when the daily 20:00-06:00 curfew will begin.

The measure will not be waived on New Year's Eve, to prevent big gatherings.

The government had conditioned the easing of restrictions on the number of new cases falling to around 5,000 a day. But that number remains well above 10,000 - on Thursday, there were 13,750 infections.

"We aren't yet at the end of this second wave, and we won't reach the objectives we had set for 15 December," Mr Castex told a news conference. "We can't let down our guard. We have to stay focused, and find our way through the next few weeks with lots of vigilance."

robert.

Postby robert. » Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:22 pm

Pennsylvania's governor halted indoor dining, gyms, school sports, outdoor gatherings of more than 50 and indoor gatherings of more than 10. retail can 50 percent of your occupancy. This starts Saturday and runs to Jan 4th. I don't believe we will see much compliance. Several restaurant owners' have stated " They will still seat people indoors. nobody wants to eat by the curb when it is 28 degrees out."

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:34 pm

robert. wrote:Pennsylvania's governor halted indoor dining, gyms, school sports, outdoor gatherings of more than 50 and indoor gatherings of more than 10. retail can 50 percent of your occupancy. This starts Saturday and runs to Jan 4th. I don't believe we will see much compliance. Several restaurant owners' have stated " They will still seat people indoors. nobody wants to eat by the curb when it is 28 degrees out."

Gov. Wolf Tests Positive for COVID-19
December 09, 2020
https://www.governor.pa.gov/newsroom/go ... -covid-19/

Governor Tom Wolf announced today that he tested positive for COVID-19 yesterday and is in isolation at home.

The governor released the following statement:

“During a routine test yesterday, I tested positive for COVID-19. I have no symptoms and am feeling well. I am following CDC and Department of Health guidelines. Frances has been tested and, as we await the result, is quarantining at home with me.

“I am continuing to serve the commonwealth and performing all of my duties remotely, as many are doing during the pandemic.

“As this virus rages, my positive test is a reminder that no one is immune from COVID, that following all precautions as I have done is not a guarantee, but it is what we know to be vital to stopping the spread of the disease and so I ask all Pennsylvanians to wear a mask, stay home as much as possible, socially distance yourself from those not in your household, and, most of all, take care of each other and stay safe.”

robert.

Postby robert. » Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:10 am

HONDO74 wrote:
robert. wrote:Pennsylvania's governor halted indoor dining, gyms, school sports, "

December 09, 2020

Governor Tom Wolf announced today that he tested positive for COVID-19 yesterday and is in isolation at home.

“During a routine test yesterday, I tested positive for COVID-19. I have no symptoms and am feeling well. I am following CDC and Department of Health guidelines. Frances has been tested and, as we await the result, is quarantining at home with me.

“I am continuing to serve the commonwealth and performing all of my duties remotely, as many are doing during the pandemic.

“As this virus rages, my positive test is a reminder that no one is immune from COVID, that following all precautions as I have done is not a guarantee, but it is what we know to be vital to stopping the spread of the disease .”

On Thursday he said " a second test came back negative"

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:05 am

robert. wrote:
HONDO74 wrote:
robert. wrote:Pennsylvania's governor halted indoor dining, gyms, school sports, "

December 09, 2020

“As this virus rages, my positive test is a reminder that no one is immune from COVID, that following all precautions as I have done is not a guarantee, but it is what we know to be vital to stopping the spread of the disease .”

On Thursday he said " a second test came back negative"

Yes, some of the tests do not have high reliability; Musk got tested several times with varying results; there are many examples now related to the one test that seem to indicated an inverse relationship between reliability and speed.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:30 pm

Covid-19 in the US: Bleak winter ahead as deaths surge
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-54966531

Americans should start being vaccinated against coronavirus in the coming days, providing some light at the end of the tunnel for the country with the highest death toll in the world.

But the good news about vaccines comes as the US is experiencing it's toughest period of the pandemic so far.

The number of daily reported deaths is at a record high while both the number of infections and admissions to hospital continue to rise.

Robert Redfield, the head of the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, has warned that the next few months will be "the most difficult in the public health history of this nation".

So why is the outlook so bleak and what will next year bring?

The number of daily reported deaths began to increase substantially in November and it has now passed 3,000 for the first time since the start of the pandemic.

The highest number of deaths in one day during the spring outbreak, which was limited to states in the Northeast, was just below 2,800.

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:34 am

43,000 new cases yesterday in California . A single day.
Source of info: ABC News, Sunday morning.

Return to “The Club Car Lounge”