Save the EARTH

Play nice and have fun...
Rufus T. Firefly

Re: Save the EARTH

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:32 am

HONDO74 wrote:
robert. wrote:Is that trash from cruise ships?

Almost all plastic in the ocean comes from just 10 rivers
https://www.dw.com/en/almost-all-plasti ... a-41581484

A study by Dutch firm The Ocean Cleanup and published in Nature on June 7, 2017, found that a full 86% of all the plastics in the ocean come from the rivers of a single, albeit large, continent: Asia.

Where Is the Plastic in the Ocean Coming From? Try Asia.
https://bigthink.com/robby-berman/where ... m-try-asia

The Ocean Conservancy estimates that are roughly 150 million metric tons of discarded plastic floating around the world’s oceans, with an additional 8 million metric tons being added every year. PRI calls this climate change’s ”apocalyptic twin.”

I wonder how much if any of that 86% contributes to the plastic on the beach in the Dominican Republic? Seems far more likely that comes from our hemisphere.

150 million metric tons - when does that become a resource?
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

Roy

Postby Roy » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:09 am

If those bags, bottles 'n shit float so well, why don't they make life preservers out of them?
Torturers, White Racists, Gay Bashers, Rich Psychopaths.

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:47 am

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
I wonder how much if any of that 86% contributes to the plastic on the beach in the Dominican Republic? Seems far more likely that comes from our hemisphere.

I would think that anything that gets thrown into the Mississippi river and on the beaches along the east and southern coast could end up in the Dominican Republic,

5 countries dump more plastic into the oceans than the rest of the world combined
https://www.pri.org/stories/2016-01-13/ ... d-combined
In a recent report, Ocean Conservancy claims that China, Indonesia, the Philippines, Thailand and Vietnam are spewing out as much as 60 percent of the plastic waste that enters the world’s seas.

https://www.google.com/search?q=recycle ... 24&bih=614

products made from recycled plastic from island trash
Save Oceans as You Shop: 10 Sustainable Products Made From Recycled Waste
https://www.afar.com/magazine/save-ocea ... cled-waste

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:48 am

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
HONDO74 wrote:
robert. wrote:Is that trash from cruise ships?

Almost all plastic in the ocean comes from just 10 rivers
https://www.dw.com/en/almost-all-plasti ... a-41581484

A study by Dutch firm The Ocean Cleanup and published in Nature on June 7, 2017, found that a full 86% of all the plastics in the ocean come from the rivers of a single, albeit large, continent: Asia.

Where Is the Plastic in the Ocean Coming From? Try Asia.
https://bigthink.com/robby-berman/where ... m-try-asia

The Ocean Conservancy estimates that are roughly 150 million metric tons of discarded plastic floating around the world’s oceans, with an additional 8 million metric tons being added every year. PRI calls this climate change’s ”apocalyptic twin.”

An interesting conversation, including the one immediately above this, indeed, both rich in information and perspectives. I much enjoyed the read, throughout.
Murph

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:07 am

HONDO74 wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:

I would think that anything that gets thrown into the Mississippi river and on the beaches along the east and southern coast could end up in the Dominican Republic,

I was thinking along those lines although Central America and all of the actual islands themselves might also be real sources
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:22 pm

Canada to ban single-use plastics as early as 2021
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-48477087

The Canadian government has yet to decide which single-use plastic products will be included on the list but it could target plastic bags, straws, cutlery, plates and stir sticks.

About 3m tonnes of plastic waste is thrown away each year in the country.

Philippines sends tonnes of rubbish back to Canada
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-48455440

The Philippines says the rubbish was falsely labelled as plastic recycling when it was sent to Manila in 2014.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:44 pm

Those naughty Canadians....... :(

up148

Postby up148 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:25 pm

Yeah, watch some of the great BBC nature shows and you will see ocean trash is a BIG problem. And these same countries that are polluting the ocean are also overfishing the oceans to the point of extinction for some species. 95% of sharks have been harvested for shark fin soup. Drag net trawlers destroying deep coral as they rake over it scooping up everything in their nets. I think instead of "Green Peace" we need a new organization that destroys the ships and people who are doing this. Torpedo the F's and let the fish feed off of them.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:42 pm

Keep that in mind next time I'm having a nice seafood dinner......

E7

Postby E7 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:45 pm

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:How 'bout some photos of you at some of these agrarian, pastoral tasks you assign yourself.

Mitch?
Rex?
Roy?
Roger?
Chuck?
Wayne?
Robert?
HONDO?
E7 ?
Sleepmac ?
up148 ?
Healey?
Pete?
Tom?
Sarge?
Tramp?
TonyH

How about some photos of you at your favorite task(s) ?
It might be nice to get better acquainted that way?

Here I am at one of my favorite tasks ever....
daMjurph

Why would you want images of an OLD fart mowing grass on a large Cub Cadet lawn tractor????? Are you into S&M?????

E7

Postby E7 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:02 pm

HONDO74 wrote:Canada to ban single-use plastics as early as 2021

The Canadian government has yet to decide which single-use plastic products will be included on the list but it could target plastic bags, straws, cutlery, plates and stir sticks.

Back in 1980, I drove up to Toronto to visit a Canadian lass, and the first thing that I noticed was how FREE of LITTER things were, both city and rural. Evidently things have changed, which doesn't surprise me.

Robert, I buy Nestles purified water, NEVER had one break EVER! The former presumes reasonable care in handling, not tossing them 20+ feet.
My well water has Coliform bacteria in it
Last edited by E7 on Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:09 pm

E7 wrote:
HONDO74 wrote:Canada to ban single-use plastics as early as 2021

Back in 1980, I drove up to Toronto to visit a Canadian lass, and the first thing that I noticed was how FREE of LITTER things were, both city and rural. Evidently things have changed, which doesn't surprise me.

Ottawa was nice this April, but maybe the litter was under the snow & ice...

Robert, I buy Nestles purified water, NEVER had one break EVER!
My well water has Coliform bacteria in it

I'm afraid to have mine tested; know enough not to drink it! :roll:

E7

Postby E7 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:27 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:I'm afraid to have mine tested; know enough not to drink it! :roll:

Even if it did test potable, there is no assurance that it would remain so.

up148

Postby up148 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:53 am

Population is driving many of our macro problems. The population of the earth has doubled in the past 50 years and conversely the animal population has decreased by 60%. Sad numbers. Most of the growth is in 3rd world countries too.

rex desilets

Postby rex desilets » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:10 am

up148 wrote:Population is driving many of our macro problems. The population of the earth has doubled in the past 50 years and conversely the animal population has decreased by 60%. Sad numbers. Most of the growth is in 3rd world countries too.
Give war a chance....
“Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.” – John Adams

Return to “The Club Car Lounge”