Questions on train forums I wouldn't think of asking.

Play nice and have fun...
Rufus T. Firefly

Re: Questions on train forums I wouldn't think of asking.

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:37 pm

Roy wrote:I'm still waiting for an example of a question on a train forum I wouldn't think of asking.

You'll have to provide that example yourself. No one other than you can possibly know of a question that you would not ask.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

Roy

Postby Roy » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:46 pm

Roy wrote:I'm still waiting for an example of a question on a train forum I wouldn't think of asking.
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:You'll have to provide that example yourself. No one other than you can possibly know of a question that you would not ask.

:shock:

Question I would not ask: How much is that doggie in the window?
Torturers, White Racists, Gay Bashers, Rich Psychopaths.

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:17 pm

How about:
When is a train layout finished?
"Doing wrong is like a joke to a fool." Proverbs 10: 21-28

G3750

Postby G3750 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:35 pm

Depending on the forum (and I'm not naming names) there are lots of questions I shouldn't ask. On a certain other forum I've asked detailed or technical questions or (worst of all) open-ended questions requiring a thoughtful response. I've gotten a number of standard dumb answers. For example:
  • Why do you want to do that? (Typically received when I'm looking to do something just a wee bit off the beaten trail. :roll: )
  • Oh, well let me tell you how I did something completely off-topic. (Yeah, thanks for playing. :?: )
  • That's not the way so-and-so (self-proclaimed forum expert) said to do it.
  • ...crickets... (This is the most common response and the moral equivalent of the "standard dumb look").

George
What is a 'Conservative'? "Someone who wants society and policy to recognize objective reality- economic, biological, and historical."

—Katy Faust

Roy

Postby Roy » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:57 pm

What can I use recycled toilet paper for, on my layout?
Torturers, White Racists, Gay Bashers, Rich Psychopaths.

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:02 pm

Roy wrote:What can I use recycled toilet paper for, on my layout?

The personal touch.

chuck

Postby chuck » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:50 pm

"Why can't I use cat litter for ballast?"

"3 rail trains run on AC because they use three rails which are like prongs for the wall outlets while 2 rail trains run on DC because DC only uses two wires?"

"If you can't get 10 amps of current through a 22 gauge wire why would they have packaged it with the train set"

"I think I need a way bigger transformer because I've added way more track. The bigger transformer will "push" the electricity around better because it's bigger and I need that since it has to go further."

"It says SUPER Glue right on the label. Doesn't that mean it will glue anything together?"

"I don't see why I can't run scale modern trains (aka 80' long locomotives and 90' long cars) on my layout which has a maximum of O-72 curves?"

I've seen that last one drop down to O-31 or even O-27.

"I don't understand why my spouse got mad at me because I used the oven to bake enamel train paint and I ran old used O-27 track through the dishwasher?"

"Toy train smoke fluid is too expensive, I've concocted my own brand using "OTC pain killers, lamp oil, barbecue lighter fluid, etc"

Technically I've violated the Jeopardy formula of not phrasing all of these as a questions.
Once I built a railroad, I made it run,
Made it race against time.
Once I built a railroad, now it's done --
Brother, can you spare a dime?

J. S. Bach

Postby J. S. Bach » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:22 pm

chuck wrote:"Why can't I use cat litter for ballast?"

The main problem that I had with cat litter was not its appearance or whatever on the track, it was a different problem. I kept the box containing the litter next to where I would be working; well, the cat discovered the box of fresh litter and, viola, he used it for what it was made for! :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :lol: BTW, his regular box used torn up newspaper. All this happened many, many years ago.

chuck wrote:"I don't see why I can't run scale modern trains (aka 80' long locomotives and 90' long cars) on my layout which has a maximum of O-72 curves?"

K-Line, on their scale-length (85') passenger car box, states "Minimum radius O-54"; they look like an interurban train snaking its way through city streets. Note: they will actually negotiate Lionel O-48 Fasttrack (really O-47½); that was the absolute minimum, O-47 was too tight.

webenda

Postby webenda » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:09 pm

Just look on CTT forum. This one was posted Feb 11:

I'm throwing this out to the gang for any advice anyone has to give.

So yesterday, there I was running my post-war 736 when all of a sudden the train stopped cold, and there was smoke coming out of the locomotive shell where the E-unit lever slot is. The circuit breaker on the transformer tripped as well. "Oh brother, this ain't good!" says I.

Today I took the engine assembly out of the shell and placed it on the tracks naked (gasp!) just to see what was happening. With the E-unit lever in the "off" position the engine runs fine, but in forward only. With the lever in the "on" position the thin copper winding wires on the E-unit solenoid housing begin to glow like a light bulb filament where they join, and needless to say the circuit breaker trips. "Oh boy, this really ain't good!"

I'm assuming I'm the proud owner of a blown E-unit. Dang, it's only 65 years old!

The rest of the wiring's good, no breaks, grounds, missing insulation, or any of the usual suspects.

Any ideas anyone?
----Wayne----

Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:37 pm

I won't name the forum but the question was "Do you need to hook the two wires from the box with a handle to something? So far my train won't move".
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

Tom Dempsey

Postby Tom Dempsey » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:43 pm

Well, Roger, do you??

E7

Postby E7 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:50 am

Where should I park Thomas so he doesn't catch cold? :mrgreen:

robert.

Postby robert. » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:21 am

where to buy Homosote? Only i really know the stores around me. What makes somebody think a forum member 500 miles from me will know this answer.
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:59 am

Which color of foam should I use, pink or blue?
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:45 am

Tom Dempsey wrote:Well, Roger, do you??

This topic didn't call for answers, only questions. :D
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

Return to “The Club Car Lounge”