Questions on train forums I wouldn't think of asking.

Play nice and have fun...
MurphOnMillerAve

Re: Questions on train forums I wouldn't think of asking.

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:28 pm

A question about wines:
The refrigerator in my kitchen has been punking-out, unable to keep consistent temperatures I have set for the fridge and the freezer. Ok. I realize it has to go , when I am ready to deal with that project .

Inside , I have always kept approx a dozen bottles of white and red wines. Since the temps in the fridge have wandered along a range from 37 to 67 degrees, for several days, now, would the unopened bottles still be considered edible, or should I discard it all as likely spoiled ? A couple bottles of quality champagne, Perrier Jouet being among them, are in there, too. Does the champagne have to be discarded , as well?

chuck

Postby chuck » Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:39 pm

If they haven't been opened they should be fine.

Red ones do not need to be refrigerated even when opened unless you are a really slow drinker. When they go, they become vinegar, suitable for making salad dressing.

I am definitely not a "connoisseur" as I like all of my wines chilled/cold (red, white, pink, blue, green. purple,.....)

Just looked it up, 69 degrees is the max recommended temp for storage but the unopened bottle's can tolerate up to 120 degrees for a few hours. The stuff is sitting in the wine shop at "room temperature" for extended periods of time before you buy it. Most stores are above 67.
Once I built a railroad, I made it run,
Made it race against time.
Once I built a railroad, now it's done --
Brother, can you spare a dime?

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:38 am

chuck wrote:If they haven't been opened they should be fine.

Red ones do not need to be refrigerated even when opened unless you are a really slow drinker. When they go, they become vinegar, suitable for making salad dressing.

I am definitely not a "connoisseur" as I like all of my wines chilled/cold (red, white, pink, blue, green. purple,.....)

Just looked it up, 69 degrees is the max recommended temp for storage but the unopened bottle's can tolerate up to 120 degrees for a few hours. The stuff is sitting in the wine shop at "room temperature" for extended periods of time before you buy it. Most stores are above 67.

Yes....should not be a problem at all for the vast majority of wines. Anyone that might be investing in higher end bottles would already most likely have a dedicated storage unit/location that would control temperature far more diligently than most people will ever need.

Drink the whites soon, Murph!
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

robert.

Postby robert. » Thu Mar 03, 2022 7:19 pm

Iodine tablets. With fear of upcoming events in the Ukraine. Europe has sold out of Iodine pills. My in-laws live in eastern Europe. About 800 air miles from Kiev. No one in the village can source these bills. I will send them a box so that everybody can rest easy ( as long as customs does not steal them). Are they really helpful if a nuke goes off? or is this just snake oil?
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

gregj410

Postby gregj410 » Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:02 pm

robert. wrote:Iodine tablets. With fear of upcoming events in the Ukraine. Europe has sold out of Iodine pills. My in-laws live in eastern Europe. About 800 air miles from Kiev. No one in the village can source these bills. I will send them a box so that everybody can rest easy ( as long as customs does not steal them). Are they really helpful if a nuke goes off? or is this just snake oil?

Probably a question for the all wise and knowing Dr Ahem….I suspect it’s snake oil but what do I know. If I had to take a wild stab at it I suspect it depends on how much exposure to radiation you receive. One the other hand if iodine could possibly protect you from radiation than wouldn’t somehow stand that it could aid or assist in cancer treatments and protect one from the ails of radiation treatment? Just guessing the all wise and knowing other member of MTJ will chime in and set us straight :lol:

robert.

Postby robert. » Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:40 pm

I get that. if you need to take it. t is probably to late. Being 800 air miles away. my in-laws are not in the direct hit zone. If a $100 spent makes them and their friends feel safe. It's worth it to me.

gregj410

Postby gregj410 » Thu Mar 03, 2022 11:15 pm

robert. wrote: If a $100 spent makes them and their friends feel safe. It's worth it to me.

100% full heartedly agree!

robert.

Postby robert. » Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:38 pm

Anyone ever see a fox with mange

robert.

Postby robert. » Sat Dec 31, 2022 9:15 pm

Stuck with grammar . I'm writing a letter to show interest in a committee position. This committee will be tasked with fund raising for an indoor recreation center.
1 " Having an indoor recreation facility will be a great thing for the area. Kids and adults can both benefit from the complex that is planed."

2 " Having an indoor recreation facility will be a great thing for the area. Kids and adults alike can benefit from the complex that is planed"

Should use line 1 or line 2? Are both of these 2 sentences to much fluf and not needed?

RBH29

Postby RBH29 » Sun Jan 01, 2023 5:51 am

I think either sentence is fine except you might want to change the word "planed" to "planned". Happy New Year too!

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:38 am

robert. wrote:Stuck with grammar . I'm writing a letter to show interest in a committee position. This committee will be tasked with fund raising for an indoor recreation center.
1 " Having an indoor recreation facility would be a great asset for the area. Children and adults could both benefit handsomely from the complex that is planned."....

I’ve made a few changes so that the positive tone you wanted to establish might be strengthened.
Murph
Last edited by MurphOnMillerAve on Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

RBH29

Postby RBH29 » Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:29 am

Happy New Year Murph! I like your changes but would you keep the word "planed" instead of "planned"?
Richard

robert.

Postby robert. » Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:00 am

Hay i had questions about grammar not spelling. :lol: Thanks Murph. Happy New Year. I like your changes. It was recommended that I join some boards and committees. I was also mentioned that I stop using a cellphone to write these emails. It's hard enough to proof read a large screen. Even harder on a 2x4 inch cellphone screen.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:13 am

robert. wrote:...will be a great thing...

Murph caught this, but it's never a "thing". You have to have better word choices. "...a great asset..." -- nice.

Now you have to follow up with why it is a "...a great asset..."

....stop using a cellphone to write.....

Yes :!: :!: :!:
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:16 am

RBH29 wrote:Happy New Year Murph! I like your changes but would you keep the word "planed" instead of "planned"?
Richard

Thanks very much for catching my oversight. You are absolutely correct , so I went back and made that edit .

Return to “The Club Car Lounge”