For Murph re: Bear Interactions

Play nice and have fun...
MurphOnMillerAve

Re: For Murph re: Bear Interactions

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:43 pm

OK. Go ask your favorite Dark Clowns this, especially since they like children so much. I heard recently that kids, including early-adolescents and teenagers, do not use the expression, "COOL" any more.. :o :? Is this true, guys? :shock:
"Doing wrong is like a joke to a fool." Proverbs 10: 21-28

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:49 pm

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:OK. Go ask your favorite Dark Clowns this, especially since they like children so much. I heard recently that kids, including early-adolescents and teenagers, do not use the expression, "COOL" any more.. :o :? Is this true, guys? :shock:

I think that "COOL" was abandoned decades ago by that age group.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:11 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
MurphOnMillerAve wrote:OK. Go ask your favorite Dark Clowns this, especially since they like children so much. I heard recently that kids, including early-adolescents and teenagers, do not use the expression, "COOL" any more.. :o :? Is this true, guys? :shock:

Gucci is the word that is used today instead of cool. :mrgreen:

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:37 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:

How'd it happen?

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:52 pm

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:

How'd it happen?

Things change, evolve, and as soon as anyone "old" uses a term that youth uses, it's dead and time for a new term.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

webenda

Postby webenda » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:29 pm

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:

How'd it happen?

It did not happen.

As slang words go, cool has had a very long ride and is still in use. For example, "Yo, Sarah is, like, mad chill. She's one of the coolest chicks I know. I want to ask her to prom."

Notice the concept of "cool" is used twice in the example sentence? "Chil" is a substitute word for "cool." "Mad" is rather recent and means, "awsome."

Remember Andy Rooney? He was not chill with the new hip English. Just watch Andy being interviewed by Ali G.:> https://youtu.be/P1EFyyoxa4k
----Wayne----

Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard

healey36

Postby healey36 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:26 pm

Went down to the basement an hour ago and saw a squirrel run past me...WTF? Dug out the trap...gonna be a long night. At least it wasn't a bear.

Healey

healey36

Postby healey36 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:20 am

healey36 wrote:Went down to the basement an hour ago and saw a squirrel run past me...WTF? Dug out the trap...gonna be a long night. At least it wasn't a bear.

Healey

Set the trap but caught nothing overnight. Suspect he/she’s been coming down the chimney, exiting via the ash clean-out door for the furnace...found that partially open. Closed that and securely latched it...hopefully problem solved (until he/she goes into the oil burner). I guess I’ll need to get a cap put on the chimney flues.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:51 am

healey36 wrote:
healey36 wrote:Went down to the basement an hour ago and saw a squirrel run past me...WTF? Dug out the trap...gonna be a long night. At least it wasn't a bear.

Healey

Set the trap but caught nothing overnight. Suspect he/she’s been coming down the chimney, exiting via the ash clean-out door for the furnace...found that partially open. Closed that and securely latched it...hopefully problem solved (until he/she goes into the oil burner). I guess I’ll need to get a cap put on the chimney flues.

Sux when this happens - hopefully you flushed it out of the house; cap with screen/bars.

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:34 pm

Murph
When you are out and about in the woods keep an eye out for feral hogs. New Jersey has them also. Razor sharp tusk that can slit you wide open. And hogs will eat humans also.

How would you like to run into this one ??

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:52 pm

Hogs are not cool.
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:52 am

HONDO74. I am aware such boars are out there, having been told by farmers in Upstate NY that wild hogs/Eurasian boar have been marauding for years from Canada down into NY, also following the forest right down to Jersey and the Carolinas. Some reports have them as far south as Florida. The farmers told me a lead boar gets into the pigpens and "liberates" many of a farm's hogs, leading them into the woods, which "reverts" them in a year's time to a wild-state once again. Also, they "eat and kill fawns and domestic livestock" and "will eat almost any agricultural crop," as well as being "aggressive toward humans and their pets." Googling "wild boar in New York state" even affords a map of their wanderings.

Thanks you for the heads-up, though. That's an excellent photo you provided. Seeing is believing (for some, many, most.)

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:24 am

Wild hogs and pigs are found all over Fort Stewart just four miles south of here.
Some can get quite large. The biggest I have seen was probably 3.5 feet high
and 5 feet long. They will mess up a car worse than a deer if you hit one.
Fort Stewart is like an animal refuge, Some controlled hunting and fishing is held
there. Wolves, coyotes, foxes, alligators and bears along with all of the usual
wildlife can be found. One strange thing is that in my 40+ years in this area
I have NEVER seen or smelled a skunk.
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:23 am

rogruth wrote:...One strange thing is that in my 40+ years in this area
I have NEVER seen or smelled a skunk.

Lucky you! Around here in urban NJ, my understanding and experience has it that skunks use the sewer system to explore the area. In fact, on one particular morning while I was waiting to be admitted into the school building by the janitor, at 6:30am-ish, I saw a skunk exit the nearby drain opening at the intersection. I was sitting in my car in the school parking lot. The skunk approached the lot. I thought , first, of getting out of the car and trying to scare it away; then, I had some sense. So, I sat very, very still in my car. Wouldn't you know it, the skink ( skunk+stinker :mrgreen: ) came closer and closer to my car. I thought of sounding the horn, and then felt better of it. He went directly under my car. I didn't even blink and sat waiting. After a minute or two, he exited from underneath and gamboled away, off into the shrubbery and toward some heavily foliated yards.

A couple come out of the sewer system in our more suburban neighborhood and usually promptly get hit by vehicles. Their odor eventually informs us of their passing by seeping into the house eventually.

That's my story.
P.S. Apparently, skunks are fearless, knowing full well the fear all animals have of their weaponry. I remember seeing, decades ago, an old black-n-white photo of a skunk standing on its forepaws on a tie in the middle of a RR track with its business-end aimed directly at a fast and closely approaching steam locomotive, refusing to budge an inch for the huge leviathan about to obliterate it.

v8vega

Postby v8vega » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:38 am

For the 1st time in 100 years California has a few wolves. They finally traveled into washington, then Oregon and now northern Calif. I love PBS nature programs ans wolves are important in the balance of nature.

Return to “The Club Car Lounge”