Angel Statues And Their Meaning

Play nice and have fun...
MurphOnMillerAve

Re: Angel Statues And Their Meaning

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:51 pm

Seaboard Air Line Fan wrote:Nice Murph!

What are the smaller figures beneath the angel?

It's been quite a while since I was there, but when I lived on Manhattan, I walked past Bethesda every day, from my apt. by the Natural Hist. Museum, to Fifth Avenue & 50th St. As I recall from conversations back then, and have just now confirmed for you:

They are "cherubs representing health, purity, temperance, and peace." (Expedia)

The 8' tall angel, "The Angel of the Waters" reaching down toward the sprays of water, was intended to "represent the blessing of clean water delivered to NYC residents through the Croton Aqueduct." (Expedia)

The name "Bethesda" comes from a pool mentioned in the Bible's Gospel of St, John. (Expedia)

The source for my information, besides my memory of conversations from decades ago, is posted, as is this photo, on Expedia.
Attachments
New-York-211264Bethesda.jpg
New-York-211264Bethesda.jpg (94.55 KiB) Viewed 3778 times
Last edited by MurphOnMillerAve on Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.

robert.

Postby robert. » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:06 pm

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:

It's been quite a while since I was there. They are cherubs representing: health; purity; temperance; peace.

A quick lesson. Cherubs is not a word. No cherubs. They are CHERUBIM. I had an art teacher that would turn red faced when somebody mentioned cherubs.
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:20 pm

robert. wrote:
MurphOnMillerAve wrote:

It's been quite a while since I was there. They are cherubs representing: health; purity; temperance; peace.

A quick lesson. Cherubs is not a word. No cherubs. They are CHERUBIM. I had an art teacher that would turn red faced when somebody mentioned cherubs.

Wikipedia agrees with you and your teacher, as do the Hebrew and Latin languages, apparently. Thanks, Robert.

Seaboard Air Line Fan

Postby Seaboard Air Line Fan » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:49 pm

Got it, like Seraph and Seraphim.

A few years ago I was watching the movie “The Mist” and was curious about the song being played at the end as the main characters were trying to get out of town, ending with the main star shooting everyone in the car but himself to prevent them from getting caught in the mist.

I Googled the movie and the name of the song was “The Host Of Seraphim” by Dead Can Dance.

Weird, strange, odd, unusual music Lisa Gerrard and Brendan Perry (they are DCD), but I enjoy the sounds of their music.

Like music, art (sculpting in the case of these angels) involves a lot of work, perseverance, talent, and dedication. I have little to none artistic ability, my “ability” is I can destroy just about anything :lol:
BobD aka Drifty

The Crow Flies At Midnight

Seaboard Air Line Fan

Postby Seaboard Air Line Fan » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:46 pm

Slight drift on:

Went to my neighbors dads "service" this afternoon (he was cremated). Old boy was had just turned 89. It was held at St. John's Episcopal Church here in Portsmouth. Very pretty church outside and in:

Saint Johns Church Portsmouth.jpg
Saint Johns Church Portsmouth.jpg (37.66 KiB) Viewed 3747 times

Saint Johns Church Portsmouth inside.jpg
Saint Johns Church Portsmouth inside.jpg (113.9 KiB) Viewed 3747 times

Let's just say I don't go to church often. As I was reading the pamphlet they gave out and trying to follow along, it got very hot inside (coat and tie), glad I applied the necessary antiperspirant. As I turned to the next to last page I see where they're going to ask everyone to come up and join in communion, temperature went up!!!

Not wanting to be the slug in the room I took my place in line and proceed to where everyone else was going. I knelt down and when the reverend came to me I ate the bread and drank the wine...and immediately felt a coolness come over me :shock:

I really wanted to ask the reverend about the angel statues, but he disappeared as soon as the service ended.

To top it off, I believe that's the first time I've taken communion in 50 years. The few times I had gone to church in the past apparently were days they didn't do anything but preach.

Don't think it turned my life around, but we'll see :wink:

Slight drift off

Oh...it's almost 8pm and my neighbor is out cutting his grass, in the dark, with some snow still on the ground. I'm not kidding (wish I could let you hear his sorry lawnmower) :roll:
BobD aka Drifty

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:01 pm

IMO, you did a good thing, BobD, by going to that service to say Goodbye, and Communion was your reward.

robert.

Postby robert. » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:22 pm

Is it the neighbor whose father died? Or is it just some silly nut job? I have a crazy neighbor like that. I always thought he hated to be in his house with his wife. So he would cut grass every three days. Or maybe the guy is chopping up those damn gumballs you guys have :lol:
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

Seaboard Air Line Fan

Postby Seaboard Air Line Fan » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:03 pm

robert. wrote:Is it the neighbor whose father died? Or is it just some silly nut job? I have a crazy neighbor like that. I always thought he hated to be in his house with his wife. So he would cut grass every three days. Or maybe the guy is chopping up those damn gumballs you guys have :lol:

Sorry for the confusion. The grass cutting guy (nut job) lives on one side, the gal whose father passed lives on the other. I’ve offered him all the gum balls but so far hasn’t taken my offer.

Her dad was a nice guy, good sense of humor.
BobD aka Drifty

webenda

Postby webenda » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:35 pm

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:IMO, you did a good thing, BobD, by going to that service to say Goodbye, and Communion was your reward.

I am not so sure Communion was a good idea for BobD, Murph.

1 Corinthians 11:27-29 New Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition (NRSVCE)
Partaking of the Supper Unworthily
27 Whoever, therefore, eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be answerable for the body and blood of the Lord. 28 Examine yourselves, and only then eat of the bread and drink of the cup. 29 For all who eat and drink without discerning the body, eat and drink judgment against themselves.

Confessional at Old St. Mary's, Detroit

Catholics normally visit the confessional prior to receiving communion in order to be forgiven of sin and become worthy of partaking of the body and blood of the Lord. Someone should have explained to BobD that it is perfectly OK to sit while members of the church partake of the Communion.

See, "Receiving Communion unworthily is dangerous" here:=> http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/comment ... communion/
----Wayne----

Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:37 am

Wayne, I tried to be pleasant and positive about it, understanding he meant no harm or disrespect. After all , he stated that he had received Communion previously in his life . I believe the main point of his posting was that he felt something positive after having received Communion, that he "felt a coolness come over" him, after "it got very hot inside."

However, as I am a Minister of the Eucharist in the Roman Catholic Church, and had he appeared in line for Communion in our church, and had I known him as not being a Catholic, it would have been my job to refuse him Communion, and to offer putting my hand to his forehead to trace the Sign of The Cross on it with these words, "May God bless you and keep you safe every day of your life," which is what children who have not received their First Communion yet are offered when they accompany their parents to the Altar for Communion, which the children (adults, too) communicate with their arms crossed across their chests as a signal I may bless them but minister no Eucharist. In our church, somebody, such as an usher, might have recognized him as non-Catholic and told him of the system for non-receipt of The Eucharist and possible acceptance of a blessing. Otherwise, in our Church, we would have expected his staying seated.
Murph

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:07 am

Well, that neatly reinforces my thoughts regarding organized religion......seems at times analogous to DCS.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:30 am

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:Well, that neatly reinforces my thoughts regarding organized religion......seems at times analogous to DCS.

I dunno know 'bout the "DCS" part, but, ohyes, we done been organized, all righteee. AND we compare notes and talk and argue 'n stuff. WE still be a-searchin" (well, SOME of us, that is, when acertainsomeones aint cutting throats and beheading non-believers) and a-figurin' and passing rules.

Uh, and we takes a look at and considers the occasional myth , too.

PLUS, we like our special outfits, too.
Pax vobiscum, bro. :D
Last edited by MurphOnMillerAve on Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Doing wrong is like a joke to a fool." Proverbs 10: 21-28

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:36 am

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:Well, that neatly reinforces my thoughts regarding organized religion......seems at times analogous to DCS.

I dunno know 'bout the "DCS" part, but, ohyes, we done been organized, all righteee. AND we compare notes and talk and argue 'n stuff. WE still be a-searchin" (well, SOME of us, that is, when acertainsomeones aint cutting throats and beheading non-believers) and a-figurin' and passing rules.

Any religion that needs people to explain it and control it to perpetuate their control is...........unnecessary.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:46 am

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
MurphOnMillerAve wrote:

Any religion that needs people to explain it and control it to perpetuate their control is...........unnecessary.

Is it possible that some people like and need things explained to them, such as the mystery of the entire Universe? (I'm jus sayin.)
Is it possible that good and holy and well-intentioned people exist and that they feel compelled and/or inspired to share (no beheadings, please) their visions or insights with others who have asked for guidance and leadership? That has no value? (Kinda harsh, no?)

How about saints? Are you saying they do not and have never existed?

(I don't exactly know how I have been cast into this Defender-of-the-Faith(ful) role, but I think it's time I resign.)
(It was kind of fun, though. :) )

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:07 am

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
MurphOnMillerAve wrote:I dunno know 'bout the "DCS" part, but, ohyes, we done been organized, all righteee. AND we compare notes and talk and argue 'n stuff. WE still be a-searchin" (well, SOME of us, that is, when acertainsomeones aint cutting throats and beheading non-believers) and a-figurin' and passing rules.

Is it possible that some people like and need things explained to them, such as the mystery of the entire Universe? (I'm jus sayin.)
Is it possible that good and holy and well-intentioned people exist and that they feel compelled and/or inspired to share (no beheadings, please) their visions or insights with others who have asked for guidance and leadership? That has no value? (Kinda harsh, no?)

How about saints? Are you saying they do not and have never existed?

(I don't exactly know how I have been cast into this Defender-of-the-Faith(ful) role, but I think it's time I resign.)
(It was kind of fun, though. :) )

What's wrong with thinking for yourself?

Return to “The Club Car Lounge”