Angel Statues And Their Meaning

Play nice and have fun...
MurphOnMillerAve

Re: Angel Statues And Their Meaning

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:52 am

Are you asserting that belonging to a religious group, or simply accepting a belief, is not thinking (for yourself) ? If you are, I feel I must say that's pretty pompous and insulting to a whole lot of good people, isn't it, or at the very least, super-cynical?

For example, are you asserting that if I accept The Ten Commandments and say, "Oh, that's pretty good. I'll follow that, and maybe a few others from other sources," that such is not thinking for oneself?

Tom Dempsey

Postby Tom Dempsey » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:35 am

A. He said it was an Episcopal church, kinda' like Catholics without all the crazy rules. Nothing wrong with taking communion there buddy!

B. Please carefully reread Rufus's posts without applying any agenda's to them Murph!

rex desilets

Postby rex desilets » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:40 am

*sigh*
“Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.” – John Adams

Tom Dempsey

Postby Tom Dempsey » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:50 am

Right back at ya' Rex.

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:22 pm

Tom Dempsey wrote:...
B. Please carefully reread Rufus's posts without applying any agenda's to them Murph!

I've read them several times and edited and re-edited my statements several times. Are there subtleties you feel I have missed? Please feel welcome to explain.

BTW, when Rufus makes his statements about organized religion and the unfortunate, non-thinking misguided among us who might follow such organized thought, I welcome and salute and encourage his perspectives and viewpoints, of course. I know that he is strong and convinced enough to meaningfully take part in a conversation about a topic many people would avoid. He has my undying respect for the huge good he does the world; plus, his personal presence here is a total joy and essential to this forum's lifeblood.

Just because I disagree with some of what he seems to assert, at times, about organized religion does not mean I am not enjoying and celebrating him and the conversation.

If you object, however, I will stop immediately (although I thought I already did.) :D

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:50 pm

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:
Tom Dempsey wrote:...

I've read them several times and edited and re-edited my statements several times. Are there subtleties you feel I have missed? Please feel welcome to explain.

BTW, when Rufus makes his statements about organized religion and the unfortunate, non-thinking misguided among us who might follow such organized thought, I welcome and salute and encourage his perspectives and viewpoints, of course. I know that he is strong and convinced enough to meaningfully take part in a conversation about a topic many people would avoid. He has my undying respect for the huge good he does the world; plus, his personal presence here is a total joy and essential to this forum's lifeblood.

Just because I disagree with some of what he seems to assert, at times, about organized religion does not mean I am not enjoying and celebrating him and the conversation.

If you object, however, I will stop immediately (although I thought I already did.) :D

Murph,
Don't stop. Well, you could stop on this topic. But this topic needs both you and Rufus. You both give many points that make the rest of us think.
You and Rufus do what you need to do. I know you both will.
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

Seaboard Air Line Fan

Postby Seaboard Air Line Fan » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:03 pm

You guys are reading too much into this. I went there strictly to support the family, my neighbor, my friend.

I watched a NOVA show on Black Holes this morning, if you ever want religion, try to wrap yourself around astrophysics.
BobD aka Drifty

The Crow Flies At Midnight

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:06 pm

Seaboard Air Line Fan wrote:..
I watched a NOVA show on Black Holes this morning, if you ever want religion, try to wrap yourself around astrophysics.

Amen :D to that! I totally agree.
"Doing wrong is like a joke to a fool." Proverbs 10: 21-28

Seaboard Air Line Fan

Postby Seaboard Air Line Fan » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:28 pm

Murph, You and Rufus keep on keeping on, it's what makes this place spin :D

So if you're in the middle of a drift and drift off that drift, is it still drifting or are you back on topic?!?!?!

Can one drift so far that one comes back to the original topic?

I saw my neighbor this morning, she thanked me for going last night. I told her it was a fine service and the reverend did a great job. She kind of invited me to go one Sunday so we'll see.

The Rev made a comment last night that her dad had seen 6 preachers come and go in the time that he had been going to that particular church (approx 30 years). Does that mean the "church" rotates reverends on a 5-year basis, Why?
BobD aka Drifty

The Crow Flies At Midnight

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:43 pm

Seaboard Air Line Fan wrote:Murph, You and Rufus keep on keeping on, it's what makes this place spin :D

So if you're in the middle of a drift and drift off that drift, is it still drifting or are you back on topic?!?!?!

Can one drift so far that one comes back to the original topic?...

I'd compare drifting on a thread to snow drifting. Doesn't a snowdrift end where it began? :mrgreen:

And Thanks for the positive encouragement. Nice attitude . :D

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:54 pm

I drift all over, Murph described it well. Often come back to the original topic and then drift again. The important thing IN MY OPINION is to have FUN.!!!
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:32 pm

We've all earned having fun, haven't we.

webenda

Postby webenda » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:43 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:Well, that neatly reinforces my thoughts regarding organized religion......seems at times analogous to DCS.

A "Distributed Control System?" If that is what you meant, good analogy.
My first thought was, "But I can walk away at anytime." My second thought was, "So can any part of a DCS." The components "walk" by simply failing to cooperate, sometimes called, "Component Failure." The analogy holds true.
----Wayne----

Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard

webenda

Postby webenda » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:09 pm

Back on subject, this time Cherub/Cherubium.
Artist's concept of things described in the bible fascinate me.

What the Bible says:
Genesis 3:24 Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition (RSVCE)
24 He drove out the man; and at the east of the garden of Eden he placed the cherubim, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to guard the way to the tree of life.

What the unknown artist envisions:

Now back to thread drift... where did Adam and Eve get those clothes they are wearing?
----Wayne----

Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard

Tom Dempsey

Postby Tom Dempsey » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:22 pm

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:If you object, however, I will stop immediately (although I thought I already did.) :D

Message received, loud and clear.

Return to “The Club Car Lounge”