Best $40 Rye Whiskey?

Play nice and have fun...
Seaboard Air Line Fan

Best $40 Rye Whiskey?

Postby Seaboard Air Line Fan » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:22 pm

I’ve got a hankerin to see what the stuff tastes like.

Never had any, so all you whiskey connoisseurs chime in with some suggestions :mrgreen:
BobD aka Drifty

The Crow Flies At Midnight

E7

Re: Best $40 Rye Whiskey?

Postby E7 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:46 am

Never drank any myself, but if you are going to fork over $40 for a fifth, I would hope whatever you purchased would be half decent. My poison of choice is Tequila, El Toro silver label or Cuervo silver.

Margarita: 2 shots tequila, 1 shot triple sec, 1 shot Rose's lime juice, margarita salt on the rim

robert.

Postby robert. » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:52 am

Sample it in 1 ounce bottles first. My grandmother drank a spoon full of it everyday with her tea. She lived to 95.
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

Seaboard Air Line Fan

Postby Seaboard Air Line Fan » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:27 am

Thanks guys!

I’ve never had any and was wondering what it tastes like.

Tequila...years ago I was in school at Mare Island, my sister-in-law at the time was married and living nearby and I would visit her and her husband (tall Mexican fella) every weekend.

He had a friend that owned a bar, but didn’t have a liquor license so all he could legally sell was beer, but he kept liquor on hand to “give” to his friends.

Long story short, one of us ate the worm! I don’t recall if it was me but when I wokeup the next morning my head was in a trash can. It was years before I could even look at a bottle of Tequila without getting queasy :oops: :lol:

Good idea a Robert about the little bottles, thanks!
BobD aka Drifty

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:32 am

I remember "learning", a few decades ago (in college) that the more sugar and the darker the color hard liquor had, the heavier and more punishing would the inevitable post-indulgence punishment be. The clearer, like vodka , the better for having a less abusive after-shock.

Maybe that's true ?

E7

Postby E7 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:02 am

It ALL makes for a nasty experience if you drink enough (as in "TOO MUCH") of it! :roll:

healey36

Postby healey36 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:57 am

Rye whiskey is a Maryland thing. It went out of style many years ago and the local distillers vanished (except Pikesville, which has hung around a long time). Rye is all fashionable now, especially with Kevin Plank and his Sagamore Distillers coming on-line. However back in the post-prohibition 1930's it was the whiskey of choice around here. Rumor has it that it was what put Tallulah Bankhead, a Maryland girl, in the ground all those years ago.

Back when I worked downtown in Baltimore I used to occasionally catch up with a few friends over at the Owl Bar in the old Belvedere Hotel. The drink of choice was the Stone Fence (2 oz. of rye, a dash of bitters, topped off with apple cider). Great for this time of year but you can go blind quickly.

Pikesville, if you can find it, is probably a good bet if you're looking for something reasonably authentic. Probably $50 a bottle.

Healey

Seaboard Air Line Fan

Postby Seaboard Air Line Fan » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:07 am

The nearest ABC store does carry the Pikeville brand, thanks.

Crown Royal also makes Rye Whiskey.

Seems to be a number of well known distilleries that make it and a load of unheard of/startup distilleries that are making it. Canada seems to be growing Rye in abundance!
BobD aka Drifty

up148

Postby up148 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:05 am

E7 wrote:Never drank any myself, but if you are going to fork over $40 for a fifth, I would hope whatever you purchased would be half decent. My poison of choice is Tequila, El Toro silver label or Cuervo silver.

Margarita: 2 shots tequila, 1 shot triple sec, 1 shot Rose's lime juice, margarita salt on the rim

Damn, that should set you free after a couple of those. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Used to drink Long Island Teas and was quite adept and making them at home, using a shot of each of the 5 liquors required. A couple of those and you're feeling NO pain. Can't drink anymore due to medications, but I'd sure like too. Sometimes when I see a Guinness Stout advertisement I can almost taste it. It's a meal in a bottle! :D

BH

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:07 am

Not to be a killjoy, but doesn't every single ounce of alcohol burn-out brain cells?

Seaboard Air Line Fan

Postby Seaboard Air Line Fan » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:59 am

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:Not to be a killjoy, but doesn't every single ounce of alcohol burn-out brain cells?

Yeah, but your system flushes those dead cells out and soon you’re as good as new :wink:

At 66+ I think 1 sip every now and then will do more good than harm, as long as a person doesn’t become the bottles titty baby.
BobD aka Drifty

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:50 pm

Now, there's an expression I am going to remember, "..the bottle's titty baby." !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In three words, an instant picture forms!

up148

Postby up148 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:02 pm

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:Not to be a killjoy, but doesn't every single ounce of alcohol burn-out brain cells?

whasa bran sell...da sheet donut boder mi bran sells.

Everything in moderation. Only imbibed on Friday nights to let down after an asskicking week or if we went out to dinner. But, in today's world, drinking anywhere but home is risky business. Can't believe what we got away with in our 20's and 30's.

Did you know a sure fire way to keep from lane weaving, whether affected by alcohol or whatever, is to keep you gas pedal foot on the oil smudge line in the center of the lane. As long as you could focus on keeping that right foot on the oil smudge you'd be okay. Now if you're stoned, you might be doing 25 mph in a 50 mph zone, but as least you won't lane weave. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

BH

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:10 pm

up148 wrote:

whasa bran sell...da sheet donut boder mi bran sells. .... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
BH

Well said! :mrgreen:

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:13 pm

I'd be more worried about brain cell loss from watching TV
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

Return to “The Club Car Lounge”