THE ORVILLE!!!

Play nice and have fun...
Rufus T. Firefly

Re: THE ORVILLE!!!

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:10 am

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:
Roy wrote:I haven't even heard of any of them. Is The Young Pope like Doogie Howser, M.D.? Because I never watched that, either....

It's unlike anything I have ever seen or imagined . Something far off-center, anchored in 2000 years of history and tradition. A 30-something year old American elected Pope, absolutely determined to have his way.

Think of David Lynch visiting the Vatican and you begin to have a handle on this show.

Like it? Not sure. Difficult to watch? At times, yes. Disturbing and thought provoking? Very much so.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:19 am

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
MurphOnMillerAve wrote:
Roy wrote:I haven't even heard of any of them. Is The Young Pope like Doogie Howser, M.D.? Because I never watched that, either....

It's unlike anything I have ever seen or imagined . Something far off-center, anchored in 2000 years of history and tradition. A 30-something year old American elected Pope, absolutely determined to have his way.

Think of David Lynch visiting the Vatican and you begin to have a handle on this show.

Like it? Not sure. Difficult to watch? At times, yes. Disturbing and thought provoking? Very much so.

Agreed. But I think there is more, which I have no way to describe. For now, we'll see if he had a heart attack, stroke, or simply (?) an overwhelming vision. :?

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:37 am

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
MurphOnMillerAve wrote:It's unlike anything I have ever seen or imagined . Something far off-center, anchored in 2000 years of history and tradition. A 30-something year old American elected Pope, absolutely determined to have his way.

Agreed. But I think there is more, which I have no way to describe. For now, we'll see if he had a heart attack, stroke, or simply (?) an overwhelming vision. :?

I forgot to mention Lynch had dropped a few tabs of LSD along the way....

More? I hope so for I can see a point coming where I will lose all interest unless something more happens/develops.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:58 am

Me, too.
There's only so much prancing around in outfits and glaring at others that a viewer can find interesting. We need a bit of Oh my gosh! every once in a while, even in an imaginary Vatican. (For example, I did enjoy his comment, and its delivery, to the Franciscans regarding their threat to him and their naked feet.)

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:13 pm

I watched the first Orville and thought it was a good start and then it seemed to go down hill and I no longer watch it.
I agree with Murph about Young Sheldon. So far I like it. We probably all know/knew someone like him.
I can't believe the laughs on the Big Bang are real. I sort of like the show but the laughs are obnoxious and cover some
of the dialoge. It seems that the producers think that the audience will not get the jokes with out help. Mash didn't
need a laugh track.
Shoes of the Fisherman is a great movie. Didn't it get an Academy Award?
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

chuck

Postby chuck » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:35 pm

No Oscar Wins for Shoes of the Fisherman, Golden Globe win for Musical Score.

BBT is filmed in front of a studio audience. It takes 3-4 hours to shoot the show between retakes and scene set ups. It's shot on the WB lot in Burbank on Stage 25. The sets used in that episode are lined up in the studio and the audience watches the scenes shot on sets not directly in front of them on monitors. The cast, crew, producers and writes are down on the stage floor.

There are mics above the audience to capture their reactions. Since the audience is mostly fans of the show there is probably some skewing of the humor of the jokes as some of the material is geek oriented and takes non geeks a few more seconds to "get it". When a scene is recorded the producers/writers are monitoring the audience reactions and may make adjustments to subsequent takes to account for this, including dialog changes or even who delivers what line.

My wife and I are are using closed captioning more often because of the British shows we've been watching on PBS and BBC America. The slang is hard to catch. I've turned the CC on for the Big Bang Theory to catch dialog elements I missed from the airing of the original show.

A "laugh track" on a filmed before an audience is a lot different from one that was filmed of sound stage with no audience. A studio audience experience is like watching a rehearsal for a play. A filmed TV show isn't like anything most of us ever encounter in real life. It's long, tedious and bares not resemblance to what you will see on the screen.
Once I built a railroad, I made it run,
Made it race against time.
Once I built a railroad, now it's done --
Brother, can you spare a dime?

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:17 pm

Chuck,
I am sure you are right about the BBT laughs but however it is done does not seem natural to me and is a bit irritating.
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

Roy

Postby Roy » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:29 am

rogruth wrote:Mash didn't need a laugh track.

Unfortunately, most episodes used canned laughter. However, I recently read that when aired in Britain, there was no laugh track. I don't think the Brits were abused with canned laughter the way we were, in the '50s and '60s. Maybe you can buy MASH in the British version on DVD or Bluray.
Torturers, White Racists, Gay Bashers, Rich Psychopaths.

Roy

Postby Roy » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:58 am

I went through a period when I was in high school where I went with a friend to watch tapings of sitcoms. They were not shows I wanted to see, but it was kind of interesting. I still have tickets for All in the Family - probably because my friend didn't care to see it.

They taped any given episode at least twice. They would pick the best laughter response to a joke from the various tapings, and thereby compiled their own best-of laugh track, for the final broadcast sound track.

E7

Postby E7 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:31 am

chuck wrote:My wife and I are are using closed captioning more often because of the British shows we've been watching on PBS and BBC America. The slang is hard to catch. I've turned the CC on for the Big Bang Theory to catch dialog elements I missed from the airing of the original show.

On a lot of British shows (particularly the dramas), the volume of the dialogue is low to the extent that it is difficult to hear. Add to that, some of the accents make it hard to pick up what is being said. I don't notice it nearly so much on comedies. I'll watch something else before I resort to captioning.

Roy

Postby Roy » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:35 am

chuck wrote:My wife and I are are using closed captioning more often because of the British shows we've been watching on PBS and BBC America. The slang is hard to catch.

Good idea. I've noticed some recent shows automatically provide subtitles, where the speaker is hard to hear, or their accent makes them difficult to understand.

I've known a lot of people who would not go with me to see a foreign film, unless it's dubbed in English. They won't even give subtitles a chance. Do you find yourself watching more subtitled foreign films, now that you're used to closed captioning?

chuck

Postby chuck » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:36 am

Subtitles never bothered me. I preferred a film where the speakers were speaking their native language and they just showed the translation at the bottom. There are cases where the actors learned to parrot the lines in English so as not to mess up the lip motions.

I found subtitles or parroting more appropriate to someone doing a bad accent. The scenes in Patton with the German high command speaking German with subtitles was much more convincing that the typical WW2 film with actors doing poor German, Italian, or Japanese accents.

The only time I find CC'ing annoying is with a live broadcast and the captioning is blocking stuff.

Seaboard Air Line Fan

Postby Seaboard Air Line Fan » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:44 am

I've always enjoyed the movies dubbed in English. I paid more attention to them.

Last week I went to a store that specializes in British food. It was a treat because of the 3 women customers inside one was from England, one from Scotland, and one from Ireland!!! Good thing my mom was Welsh or I wouldn't have been able to understand any of them :lol:

It never occurred to me to turn on the CC when watching some British shows, they do tend to be "low-talkers" on a few of them.

I watched a special on the SAS a week ago where they interviewed 5-6 former SAS soldiers. They used expressions we never hear on this side of the pond.

Years ago I watched a steeple chase event on TV. The announcers used phrases like "That's hard cheese" and "Six and 2 threes". I had to ask mom what they meant.
BobD aka Drifty

The Crow Flies At Midnight

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:52 am

E7 wrote:
chuck wrote:My wife and I are are using closed captioning more often because of the British shows we've been watching on PBS and BBC America. The slang is hard to catch. I've turned the CC on for the Big Bang Theory to catch dialog elements I missed from the airing of the original show.

On a lot of British shows (particularly the dramas), the volume of the dialogue is low to the extent that it is difficult to hear. Add to that, some of the accents make it hard to pick up what is being said. I don't notice it nearly so much on comedies. I'll watch something else before I resort to captioning.

I thought I was the only one who had that reaction to British shows. Using the Captioning button is something I had not even thought of (dangling prep. there :oops: .)
:)

chuck

Postby chuck » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:50 am

We really enjoy Endeavor but we can't always decipher what they say. Even with the Closed Captioning I often have to google what they said:

"If you don't have the sand for it"

"He became rusticated"

"I don't know who to trust in my own nick"

Return to “The Club Car Lounge”