Tax Reform

Play nice and have fun...
robert.

Re: Tax Reform

Postby robert. » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:32 am

I tried to find the rules for Uber drivers in NYC. All I get is old or fake news from unhappy Uber drivers.i can’t find if they need a black car, yellow car, hack license or airport license. If they don’t need those things that’s not competition .that’s an unfair business advantage. One team plays by the set rules while the other dose not.
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:06 am

robert. wrote:I tried to find the rules for Uber drivers in NYC. All I get is old or fake news from unhappy Uber drivers.i can’t find if they need a black car, yellow car, hack license or airport license.

Pretty sure that car color is not a variable, at least in other cities. Licenses are an interesting concept - supposed to be there to regulate and protect consumers, yet it seems that their real purpose is to make money for the licensing entity.

If they don’t need those things that’s not competition .that’s an unfair business advantage. One team plays by the set rules while the other dose not.

That might depend on who sets the rules and why....and whether it's just a money making scam cloaked in protectionism to set up control over a monopoly (think Dulles airport....). If someone can do the same job cheaper, and do it just as well, then what is the objection to their doing so competitively?
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

robert.

Postby robert. » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:30 am

No equality here color matters when street hailing. This may be Uber’s defense. Yellow is allowed in 5 Boros of Manhattan. Green. Is allowed queen upper and lower Manhattan, Staten Island and airports. Black is done by calling. Uber may need black cars in NYC. You can not street hail an Uber ride. Can you remember the color of your Uber ride?

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:59 am

robert. wrote:No equality here color matters when street hailing. This may be Uber’s defense. Yellow is allowed in 5 Boros of Manhattan. Green. Is allowed queen upper and lower Manhattan, Staten Island and airports. Black is done by calling. Uber may need black cars in NYC. You can not street hail an Uber ride. Can you remember the color of your Uber ride?

Last one was in Austin, Tx - pretty sure it was a metallic grey-silver.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

up148

Postby up148 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:07 am

Son uses Uber when he drops his car off at a dealer and other times too..I never have. He texts for all pickups (registered Uber user) and believe that is the only way you can get an Uber. So, that shouldn't be an unfair advantage to riders in large cities if the rider wants and calls them....but NYC is a very strange place to do business. Seems a permit is needed to do almost anything.

I can tell you the prices they charge is unbelievably low around here. Half or less than a taxi. Drivers around here are retirees, students, people with other jobs but subsidizing their income. One retirees wife complained about the amount of golf he played so he hauls for a few hours and then plays golf and then goes home. Everyone's happy with the set-up.

BH

robert.

Postby robert. » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:24 am

I have looked at a few nyc taxi rules and pages today. Just for sheets and giggles. Want a ride to the airport. Stand outside and flap your arms or soar like a plane. You’ll get a taxi not a straight jacket. $52.00 flat rate to airports with a $17.50 surcharge to Newark all tolls paid by rider.

Return to “The Club Car Lounge”