Take a Knee

Play nice and have fun...
HONDO74

Re: Take a Knee

Postby HONDO74 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:52 am

"The Star-Spangled Banner" was recognized for official use by the United States Navy in 1889, and by U.S. President Woodrow Wilson in 1916, and was made the national anthem by a congressional resolution on March 3, 1931 (46 Stat. 1508, codified at 36 U.S.C. § 301), which was signed by President Herbert Hoover.

"The earliest documented performance [of 'The Star-Spangled Banner' at a baseball game] occurred on May 15, 1862, during the opening game played at Union Base Ball and Cricket Grounds in Brooklyn, New York,"

One famous example of this kind of special occasion was the first game of the World Series on Sept. 5, 1918.
Americans were so rattled by World War I that the game "almost didn’t happen," It became more popular during WW2

At the end of the war, after Japan announced it would surrender, NFL Commissioner Elmer Layden called for all of the league's teams to play "The Star-Spangled Banner" at their games, arguing, “The National Anthem should be as much a part of every game as the kick-off. We must not drop it simply because the war is over. We should never forget what it stands for.”

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:09 am

For some reason unclear to me, I am not particularly bothered by players taking-a-knee for The Anthem. I suppose I'm just glad they are not raising a middle finger at that time. I think free speech does or should have its reasonable limits, however, and I'm not sure taking-a-knee goes too far in that regard .
My mind is wide open to what others have to say in this regard, both here and on the news.

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:37 am

Our president has expressed his opinion so half the country will take the other side. Either way that would have happened.
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

Tom Dempsey

Postby Tom Dempsey » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:32 am

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:I think free speech does or should have its reasonable limits,

The fly in that ointment is frequently who gets to make that call. How about we all just agree to leave the first amendment alone.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:48 am

Tom Dempsey wrote:The fly in that ointment is frequently who gets to make that call. How about we all just agree to leave the first amendment alone.

Agree.

That it's the 1st amendment might just indicate how important it was thought to have free speech in this country.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:28 pm

At the end of the war, after Japan announced it would surrender, NFL Commissioner Elmer Layden called for all of the league's teams to play "The Star-Spangled Banner" at their games, arguing, “The National Anthem should be as much a part of every game as the kick-off. We must not drop it simply because the war is over. We should never forget what it stands for.”

"WHAT IT STANDS FOR"
In other words, what it stands for doesn't apply today

That's why I say if the national anthem has become so divisive and a distraction. STOP PLAYING IT

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:42 pm

With tongue in cheek.
Stop playing the National Anthem and follow that with no boundaries between our country and others and make everybody happy. :roll: :roll:
Tongue out of cheek.
My problem with that is that I am old and would not like that and other countries would not want some old guy with nothing to add to their
countries because I wouldn't want to be here after that. Other countries would still have boundaries just as now.
roger

I support thread drift.

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:50 pm

We've got to keep clear who's in the Light and who's in the Dark.

robert.

Postby robert. » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:34 pm

I think the lady did it right in the nba. game. She knelt after she sang. You want to be really upset. lookup how much the government paid to have the anthem played in sporting events.
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:40 pm

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:28 pm

Finger up, like a spear or stick, instructing all on what the approved way is to think. :roll:

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:57 am

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:Finger up, like a spear or stick, instructing all on what the approved way is to think. :roll:

Oh! I didn't know that. Lets me understand some things.
roger

I support thread drift.

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:34 pm

rogruth wrote:
MurphOnMillerAve wrote:Finger up, like a spear or stick, instructing all on what the approved way is to think. :roll:

Oh! I didn't know that. Lets me understand some things.

Yes, just like Osama bin Laden seemed especially fond of doing when he spoke; also, Ayatollahs. in general, are fond, in my observation, of having the finger-up extended to help give authority (subconsciously?) to their instruction point(s)/prognostications.

Behavioral Psychologists have long pointed (yes, a pun is intended :roll: ) that out, as a characteristic of blowhards and IMHO, bullies.
Attachments
osama-bin-laden.jpg
osama-bin-laden.jpg (39.57 KiB) Viewed 3841 times
Last edited by MurphOnMillerAve on Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Doing wrong is like a joke to a fool." Proverbs 10: 21-28

Mitch

Postby Mitch » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:31 am

What about Bernie Sanders, Murph? Didja ever watch him give a speech? If ya cut off his right hand, he couldn't say a word! :lol:
If you agree with the Progressives, it's freedom of speech. If you disagree, it's hate speech. There are no alternatives.

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:13 am

Mitch wrote:What about Bernie Sanders, Murph? Didja ever watch him give a speech? If ya cut off his right hand, he couldn't say a word! :lol:

You're right, Mitch. Another "instructor"? I should imagine there are plenty of them out there, where finger-up is part of their self-expression, huh.

Return to “The Club Car Lounge”