TEACHERS

Play nice and have fun...
rex desilets

Re: TEACHERS

Postby rex desilets » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:44 pm

Tom Dempsey wrote:Said lay person has to be operating with an open mind.
That, of course.
One of the trials of my life was, when anyone found out that I was an engineer, to watch their eyes glaze over as they edged away from me...my bride, as non-scientific as they come, would listen as I explained something abstruse (unclassified) about my work and kinda, sorta get it. Good practice for briefing upper management, though. First rule with these guys was never, ever let them think. Especially if they had been engineers at one time. :mrgreen:
“Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.” – John Adams

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:13 am

rex desilets wrote:First rule with these guys was never, ever let them think. Especially if they had been engineers at one time.

This is usually true across the board regardless of profession.

However, letting them think that they came up with the idea tends to get that idea accepted a lot faster, :roll:
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:25 am

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
rex desilets wrote:First rule with these guys was never, ever let them think. Especially if they had been engineers at one time.

However, letting them think that they came up with the idea tends to get that idea accepted a lot faster, :roll:

As you say that will get it faster but in a few days it will be their idea anyway.
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:10 am

rogruth wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:

As you say that will get it faster but in a few days it will be their idea anyway.

Sometimes it's worth it if it gets something important that you want to have happen.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

E7

Postby E7 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:07 am

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:Sometimes it's worth it if it gets something important that you want to have happen.

Exactly!

Tom Dempsey

Postby Tom Dempsey » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:48 am

Taking credit for other peoples work is how they became suits in the first place.

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:10 pm

I thought maybe some of you teachers might enjoy watching this. Just for fun.

I would call this "Oh my gosh, teachers having fun. :mrgreen:

Uptown Funk: Whitmer Teacher Flash Mob - Homecoming 2017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRCp8Gg4wmo

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:37 pm

The basketball coach probably had some kind of attack when he saw all of those street shoes on HIS basketball floor.
Other than that I thought it was rather underwhelming.
roger

I support thread drift.

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:58 pm

I can well imagine what the female in the T-shirt with "Panther Nation" on it, with the blonde pony-tail, right up front every minute, might be like to have in the classroom as a student, or as a mother visiting the school. The expressions on her face inform me of a possible mind-set or attitude. IMunHO

Everyone else seems to be there in the joy of team-spirit, reveling in the moment of communal pride, which is so very nice to see. The pony-tail female seems to me to be there for all to duly note, more than capable of "straightening out" any naysayer who might not agree with her interpretation of the world and of how to teach.

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:44 pm

Roger & Murph. When I saw the video all I saw was some teachers having FUN and got to thinking about you guys and wondering.....Did you guys have fun like that. ?? That's why I posted it.

I run across all kinds of videos on YouTube. That one struck me as......Today we stop and smell the roses and have FUN.

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:02 pm

Teaching and the folks we meet performing that function can be challenging, but at all times, it was interesting, indeed. Fun? I enjoyed every minute of it. I considered it a blessing on me and tried to return the favor.

As I used to privately assert, to visiting Board of Ed folks and supervisors, the students were not refrigerators - they did not come with guarantees or warrantees, meaning, it was up to me to make sure they were always at their best and functioning well, one at a time, person by person, while moving the entire group forward, as well. How could that not be interesting and challenging? To me, it was a flat-out privilege and joy.
Murph

Here is one of my groups of heroes from the early 80's, full of hope and promise that we would make our classroom mean something to them every day. It did. Of that, I am sure. How do I know? They told me so.
Attachments
Image0008 (2).JPG
Image0008 (2).JPG (324.34 KiB) Viewed 4450 times
"Doing wrong is like a joke to a fool." Proverbs 10: 21-28

Mitch

Postby Mitch » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:23 pm

rogruth wrote:The basketball coach probably had some kind of attack when he saw all of those street shoes on HIS basketball floor.

Some had sneakers on; other no shoes at all. It started out to look spontaneous, but then you could see that it was well choreographed, so obviously everybody either knew all the moves or they rehearsed somewhere. I thought it was cool, ('cept for the flopping fish big dude on the floor). :lol:
If you agree with the Progressives, it's freedom of speech. If you disagree, it's hate speech. There are no alternatives.

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:52 pm

Mitch wrote:
rogruth wrote:The basketball coach probably had some kind of attack when he saw all of those street shoes on HIS basketball floor.

Some had sneakers on; other no shoes at all. It started out to look spontaneous, but then you could see that it was well choreographed, so obviously everybody either knew all the moves or they rehearsed somewhere. I thought it was cool, ('cept for the flopping fish big dude on the floor). :lol:

Every video I have seen of this type of thing has been well rehearsed.
If sneakers are used for anything other use on the gym floor they are street shoes and can damage the gym finish. That from basketball coaches.
Many students do spontaneous things that have been rehearsed to express themselves.
roger

I support thread drift.

Roy

Postby Roy » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:32 pm

rogruth wrote:Many students do spontaneous things that have been rehearsed to express themselves.

How much rehearsal do you need, to be successfully spontaneous?
Torturers, White Racists, Gay Bashers, Rich Psychopaths.

Return to “The Club Car Lounge”