Message from MK

Play nice and have fun...
Rufus T. Firefly

Re: Message from MK

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:55 am

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:
Part of the problem may reside with Verizon. :(

OK. That helps. Maybe I'll pay their nearby store a visit, sometime this week. Thanks again!

Good luck! If it were not so painful, I'd be migrating everything linked to my Verizon account elsewhere....
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:03 am

You're a fun guy, Rufus. Very fun. And you know a whole lot of stuff, too!
:D Murph

webenda

Postby webenda » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:41 pm

HONDO74 wrote:
webenda wrote:
They managed to lock my computer but all it took was a hard shutdown and reboot to recover.

What is a "HARD SHUTDOWN" ??

Opening the computer case and pulling all cards out of the card rack.

See: https://youtu.be/c8N72t7aScY

Reference: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/index.php? ... ge.227553/
----Wayne----

Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:38 pm

webenda wrote:Opening the computer case and pulling all cards out of the card rack.

Almost all of the computers today have everything contained on the motherboard. No cards to pull.

The only time I use the power button to shut down is if the computer is locked up or I see hard drive activity that should not be meaning something is trying to install that will be a problem.

For a couple of years there was a problem with fake anti-viruses. I used to get calls from friends saying the anti-virus said there were problems and needed to be fixed. The first question I asked was does the anti-virus want money to fix it. When the answer was yes I said I will be over to fix it.

I was using a mobile antispyware program on a USB drive. Start the computer in safe mode and access the usb drive and run the program to eliminate the malware. It was the only way to save the computer. The malware would not let you run anything you had installed on the computer. It would not let you install anything on the computer to fix it.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:49 pm

HONDO74 wrote: I was using a mobile antispyware program on a USB drive. Start the computer in safe mode and access the usb drive and run the program to eliminate the malware. It was the only way to save the computer. The malware would not let you run anything you had installed on the computer. It would not let you install anything on the computer to fix it.

Sounds about right - the only problem is that some malware while locking up your computer is also destroying your data and/or sending it somewhere else and/or is being used by any outside individual. Might disconnect it from your ISP.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:53 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
Might disconnect it from your ISP.

Yep,I unfortunately left off that most important part. Make sure it in not connected to the internet.

webenda

Postby webenda » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:55 pm

HONDO74 wrote:
webenda wrote:Opening the computer case and pulling all cards out of the card rack.

Almost all of the computers today have everything contained on the motherboard. No cards to pull.

First, that answer was designed, a) for those who never open their computers and b) so I could use the "Death of HAL9000" video clip.
Second, I have never had a computer without cards that could be pulled.
Here is my backup computer. It has two blue cards that can be pulled.
Attachments
Oh so blue memories.jpg
Oh so blue memories.jpg (303.19 KiB) Viewed 4069 times
----Wayne----

Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:29 pm

The blue items that you are referring to are memory modules. The main problem will still be the hard drive with the operating system. And for quite a while now the hard drives come with a backup to to operating system so you can reinstall the original operating system. The manufactures did this so the don't have to give you an install disk. You usually can make your own reinstall disk when you first start up a new computer.

Malware can attack the backup system on the hard drive. Malware can also attack the bios on the mother board. Most of the malware today is trying to get money from us.

Since you have been to major geeks you can get free anti-spyware and anti-malware programs to run on your computers. I us "SuperAntispyware and Malwarebytes I have not used an anti-virus program in over 3 years on any of my computers.

Your most likely source of infection today will be your email, Especially FWD messages from friends that come with malware.

Facebook is a good source for malware also.

MYmoo

Postby MYmoo » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:22 pm

HONDO74 wrote:The blue items that you are referring to are memory modules. The main problem will still be the hard drive with the operating system. And for quite a while now the hard drives come with a backup to to operating system so you can reinstall the original operating system. The manufactures did this so the don't have to give you an install disk. You usually can make your own reinstall disk when you first start up a new computer.

Malware can attack the backup system on the hard drive. Malware can also attack the bios on the mother board. Most of the malware today is trying to get money from us.

Since you have been to major geeks you can get free anti-spyware and anti-malware programs to run on your computers. I us "SuperAntispyware and Malwarebytes I have not used an anti-virus program in over 3 years on any of my computers.

Your most likely source of infection today will be your email, Especially FWD messages from friends that come with malware.

Facebook is a good source for malware also.

Hondo74 types faster than I.

Most 'over the counter' computers (laptops/desktops) are sold today
with minimum amounts of software/hardware installed,
both to 'dumb it down' and to eleminate (or increase frequency of) 'service calls'.

As with anything else, liberal applications of $$$$$ can get you any type of 'ride' you desire.

"We don't need no chip in the back of the head, Sculley."
"A device in hand so they can picture their gland will do..."
-----
Unplug When Done.
-----
Peace,

MYron R. MOOre

webenda

Postby webenda » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:30 am

HONDO74 wrote:Your most likely source of infection today will be your email, Especially FWD messages from friends that come with malware.

That is what I asked Roger for, but he had already deleted the suspect email.

HONDO74 wrote:Facebook is a good source for malware also.

I have been attacked from Photobucket also.
----Wayne----

--Merle Haggard

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:29 am

webenda wrote:
HONDO74 wrote:Your most likely source of infection today will be your email, Especially FWD messages from friends that come with malware.

Only place I've every been "attacked" was right here when there this site was infected with a trojan

webenda

Postby webenda » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:59 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
webenda wrote:

Only place I've every been "attacked" was right here when there this site was infected with a trojan

I missed that one. :( Did it add grievous typos to your perfectly composed posts? :lol:
----Wayne----

--Merle Haggard

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:05 pm

webenda wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
webenda wrote:That is what I asked Roger for, but he had already deleted the suspect email.

I missed that one. :( Did it add grievous typos to your perfectly composed posts? :lol:

You were lucky to have missed it.

Return to “The Club Car Lounge”