Why.

Play nice and have fun...
MurphOnMillerAve

Re: Why.

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:41 am

A perfect reply, Wayne, in its truth, so readily and fully applicable to those young men I mentioned. Thank you.

If we add that to what we see in the news about what atrocities Islamic Extremists perpetrate upon individual Christians and even upon art treasures, I am made to wonder what is happening, in the larger picture. Add "Global Warming" to the mix, with chunks of Antarctica's snow, ice, and glacial sheets melting and breaking away, with polar bears finding themselves stranded on what they assumed were their usual respite spots, only to find themselves adrift on mini-mini-icebergs and headed out into the Atlantic, only to drown sooner than later, and 4,000+ sinkholes opening up in Florida (which I suggest are due to rising sea levels,) and we have a problem.

webenda

Postby webenda » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:57 am

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:...and 4,000+ sinkholes opening up in Florida (which I suggest are due to rising sea levels,) and we have a problem.

Pessimist! I see a business opportunity in Florida Sinkholes.

Earth Tech has stabilized thousands of sinkhole homes in Florida since 1991-more than anyone else. And every one of them is rock solid. That's why our Sinkhole Stabilization Warranty™ is superior to all others.

http://www.earthtech.com/residential/si ... locations/
----Wayne----

Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:13 am

I would submit the suggestion that the sinkholes are not the end of the story. They are indicative of what is beginning, which is a whole new, farther interior coastline and beaches. Wait and see.
"Sinkhole Stabilization Warrantee" would be like screwing down the deck chairs on the Titanic = stabilized for now but you're all going down (actually, under.)

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:31 am

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:I would submit the suggestion that the sinkholes are not the end of the story. They are indicative of what is beginning, which is a whole new, farther interior coastline and beaches.

Neither beginning nor end, but just what is evidence of that the planet is not static but ever changing.....sometimes we get the privilege of seeing it happen on a time scale that we can register.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:29 pm

Yup.

Roy

Postby Roy » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:52 pm

I would think the sinkholes are more likely the result of groundwater being pumped out for human use, rather than rising sea levels.
Torturers, White Racists, Gay Bashers, Rich Psychopaths.

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:56 pm

Roy wrote:I would think the sinkholes are more likely the result of groundwater being pumped out for human use, rather than rising sea levels.

We shall see. I hope you are right. However, on the news about the latest collapse, how would your theory account for the large amount of water clearly visible around the first two houses that collapsed into a 50' deep pit filled with debris and water?

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:25 pm

The bulk of Florida’s peninsula is made up carbonate rock (limestone and dolostone) overlain by variable thicknesses and mixtures of sand and clay (i.e., overburden). Carbonate rocks store and transmit groundwater. Through a slow chemical process these carbonate rocks may dissolve, resulting in karst terrain (topography). Karst terrains are characterized by sinkholes, caves (wet and dry), springs, disappearing/reappearing streams, and other land surface depressions all of which are commonly found throughout Florida.

Both natural phenomena and human activity can trigger sinkholes. Heavy rainfall, especially after a drought, and tropical storms contribute to the forming of a sinkhole, while man-made sinkholes can be prompted by heavy pumping of groundwater for agricultural protection, investigative drilling, and excavation.

As far as picking a safe non-sinkhole region, where there is no chance of getting your house sucked in—there are no guarantees.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:35 pm

HONDO74 wrote:As far as picking a safe non-sinkhole region, where there is no chance of getting your house sucked in—there are no guarantees.

There's one up in the woods above my place.....
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:43 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
HONDO74 wrote:As far as picking a safe non-sinkhole region, where there is no chance of getting your house sucked in—there are no guarantees.

If you're talking about Pennsylvania , would that be related to coal mining in the past?

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:45 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:

Does it come with whips, chains and ball gags ? How much ?? :wink: :mrgreen:

webenda

Postby webenda » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:47 pm

Roy wrote:I would think the sinkholes are more likely the result of groundwater being pumped out for human use, rather than rising sea levels.

You are thinking of "subsidence" Roy.

Land Subsidence:

Occurs when more fluid (water or oil and even gas) is taken from an aquifer than is replaced. When fluids that were filling the pores spaces (space between particles) of the aquifer are removed, compaction of the aquifer occurs. This can become permanent because of the weight of the land, which through intense pressure keeps the aquifer from reflating even when water is pumped back into it.

Many places in California suffer from significant land subsidence, mainly because of two types of fluid extraction: groundwater and oil. In fact, California has the most known subsidence locations in the United States.

The areas of greatest subsidence are:

Santa Clara Valley: 12 ft., which includes San Jose: 12.8 ft.
San Joaquin Valley: 28.9 ft., which includes Mendota: 29 ft.
Long Beach/Los Angeles: 29.5 ft.

Sinkholes:

According to the United States Geological Survey (USGS), sinkholes occur when the rock below the land is limestone, carbonate rock, salt beds or any kind of rock that can be easily dissolved by (usually acidic) groundwater that flows through them. This dissolving of rock thus creates spaces underground, which can be small or become so large that sinkholes are created because there is no longer enough rock below to hold up the land surface. Thus a dramatic collapse can occur, which is especially dangerous if a building or person is above it at the time. Sinkholes are common in Florida, Texas, Alabama, Missouri, Kentucky, Tennessee, and Pennsylvania.

The press always reports on sinkholes as if they are rare phenomena. In Florida sinkholes are an integral part of life, just as in California earthquakes are an integral part of life.

The Florida Almanac, 2007-2008 states, "New sinkholes are reported at a rate of 300 to 400 each year in Florida but most, perhaps 4,000 annually, go unnoticed."

When you fly into Orlando International Airport, if you look out the window, you see Orlando looking like Swiss Cheese, with a lake in every sinkhole.
----Wayne----

Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:17 pm

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:

If you're talking about Pennsylvania , would that be related to coal mining in the past?

No. Most likely limestone eroded by underground spring that used to on rare occasions when I was a young lad would actually make it to the surface.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:18 pm

HONDO74 wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:

Not an outside activity.......

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:42 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
HONDO74 wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:There's one up in the woods above my place.....

Not an outside activity.......

Start a trend.

Return to “The Club Car Lounge”