Speaking of North Korea...

Play nice and have fun...
rogruth

Re: Speaking of North Korea...

Postby rogruth » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:32 am

rex desilets wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
rogruth wrote: I also found that it was much harder to play tuba with a mustache.

A truly practical reason there!
Walter Eby, principal tuba with the New York Philharmonic way, way back when, had a mustache. There was a photo of him in his tuba method book I worked out of. Diligently.

Yes he did.But he had a much larger upper lip than I and the mouthpiece would fit under the mustache. Some would shave the area where the mouthpiece fit and you could not see the shaved place. Some trombone and euphonium players do the same. Bill Bell told me he had tried to play with a mustache for a couple of weeks but found that it hurt his playing.
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:51 am

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:...
We might have been the last generation to believe schools, government, police and people of authority were there to help us and believed pretty much everything they said unchallenged. Early to mid 60's was definitely the beginning of the end for the idyllic lifestyle of the post war era. We trusted those in power to make the right decisions for us.......wasn't too long after that we knew better. :? :? :? :( :( :( :(

Yes, the war and Watergate were 2 inflection points that opened the door to question anything and everything.

I would add to that list the assassination of the President. It suggested nobody was safe and made many of us suspect of everything, even our own adorations.

I was off-campus when it happened, interviewing for a marketing research class, at the local parochial high school in Ohio. The news came over the P.A. system. The school went onto immediate shock, and by the time I walked the couple miles back to campus, the whole university was a mess of students walking right out of classes and declaring "What is the purpose..." [of studying and trying] ? If so beautiful and idyllic a First Family could be destroyed, on so bright a sunny day, what was the point of working for a future? Many, many students voiced such opinions, right out loud, as they traversed the campus, back and forth, aimlessly, searching for purpose. Some left campus, never to return.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:16 am

up148 wrote: ..... no taps on shoes....

Wait! Was there a plague of tap dancing in your era and vicinity? :shock:
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

up148

Postby up148 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:18 am

I was in my freshman civics class and the teacher (Pearl Tate..hadn't remembered her name in decades) stepped out in the hall to talk to someone and came back in the room crying and told us...it was a very traumatic. Dismay, anger, sorrow, fear, etc.; the emotions rode the roller coaster that day. The rest of the day most classes just had TV sets going so we could watch history unfold. No normal classes at all, just sat around talking and trying to understand.

I never felt that way again, until 9-11.

BH

up148

Postby up148 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:26 am

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
up148 wrote: ..... no taps on shoes....

Wait! Was there a plague of tap dancing in your era and vicinity? :shock:

I guess I dated myself (not literally :lol: :lol: ) with my choice of word... Metal toe and heel taps to keep your heels and soles from wearing out....at least that's what the guys told the teachers, before they were sent to the principal's office. And they were loud. If someone was walking to class after the bell range, you could hear them echoing down the hallway hundreds of feet away. We just looked at each other and grinned, as we knew the culprit was going to get nailed before he made it to his class. Those were the simple days with simple problems.

BH

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:43 am

Yes, that was the story for some of us poorer kids.
But how did you explain the "taps" that were not nailed down as tight as possible?
The only reason is that way made more noise. :roll: :roll: :D
roger

I support thread drift.

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:44 am

up148 wrote:I was in my freshman civics class and the teacher (Pearl Tate..hadn't remembered her name in decades) stepped out in the hall to talk to someone and came back in the room crying and told us...it was a very traumatic. Dismay, anger, sorrow, fear, etc.; the emotions rode the roller coaster that day. The rest of the day most classes just had TV sets going so we could watch history unfold. No normal classes at all, just sat around talking and trying to understand.

I never felt that way again, until 9-11.

BH

Right. Me too.
Although I do recall "where I was and what I was doing" when I heard Nixon resign. I was driving the connection between Rt81S, in Pennsylvania, to the PA Turnpike, on my way home to Pittsburgh, when his voice came on the car radio.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:03 pm

rogruth wrote:Yes, that was the story for some of us poorer kids.
But how did you explain the "taps" that were not nailed down as tight as possible?

Closeted members of the Astaire Fanclub, :wink:
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:27 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
rogruth wrote:...

Closeted members of the Astaire Fanclub, :wink:

Gahfahbid.
Last edited by MurphOnMillerAve on Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

up148

Postby up148 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:30 pm

Oh, these were all nailed down and installed by shoe repair shops (every town had at least one) and yes, they were installed so the heels and soles lasted longer. But, you had to take them off as the schools outlawed them. After that I had shoes soled and heeled several times before they wore out.

BH

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:42 pm

up148 wrote:

Oh, these were all nailed down and installed by shoe repair shops (every town had at least one) and yes, they were installed so the heels and soles lasted longer. But, you had to take them off as the schools outlawed them. After that I had shoes soled and heeled several times before they wore out.

BH

Or you could install them yourself and leave them a little loose. :wink: :wink:
roger

I support thread drift.

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:40 pm

My impression, and that of several talking-heads on TV news shows, of President Trump's speech today at the UN, was that it made many people proud of him. He was unabashedly pro-American, mocked and threatened the leader of NK, and he came across as bold and strong and happy to take claim for America for all the good we do around the world. He was unapologetic and straightforward , with none of the usual "diplo-speak" of the typical leaders who have spoken there.

As I said previously, he may yet turn out to be the right leader at the right time .

(Plus, he got a trim. :mrgreen: ) :D

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:21 pm

After the report of that on NBC they interviewed the illustrious leader of Iran who to[d us how wrong Trump is.
Make sure that following reports do not support the president. :roll: :roll:
roger

I support thread drift.

MYmoo

Postby MYmoo » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:01 am

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:
As I said previously, he may yet turn out to be the right leader at the right time .

O.T.O.H.,
It may turn out, that, Some in both countries
will get the 'leaders' (I use that term loosely,) they deserve,
....at the expense ot the rest of the world. :( :( :(

(Correct me if I am wrong,
but I don't think the citizens of NK got to elect theirs.)
-----
Unplug When Done.
-----
Peace,

MYron R. MOOre

MYmoo

Postby MYmoo » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:21 am

Re: Speech @ U.N. General Assembly:

Anyone else notice??...

...How red his skin and face got about 10 minutes into his speech?
(colluding with the 'Reds'???(Not the ones in Cincinnati))
It was difficult (for me) to discern between hair and face.

...Or how 'underwhelming' his 'applause pauses' were?

The silence was deafining at one pause as he looked
around as if to say, "...Anybody????..."

It must have been a 'challenge' for him, for sure, in many ways.

-----

It looks like he got upstaged one more time by 'Natural Causes'...
(ie., a 7.1 earthquake in Mexico, and a series of hurricanes making landfall on the 'right' coast.)

(Note to self:
Stop!, MYron!
Remember what Thumper's mother told him???)
-----
-----
Unplug When Done.
-----
Peace,

MYron R. MOOre

Return to “The Club Car Lounge”