Seen in Video

Postby HONDO74 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:21 pm

A take off of Rufus's "Seen in Print" Interesting video's for all to enjoy

Hazmat Highway to Hell
https://www.youtube.com/embed/FG1LGKieTxY?rel=0

up148

Re: Seen in Video

Postby up148 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:12 am

What an absolute asswipe that truck driver was. I hope he goes to jail. He drives like a lot of OK drivers. Most likely texting and didn't see the silver truck pull into his lane. Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BH

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:29 am

I can't tell if the silver whatever it was changed lanes into too small a space and truck could not stop or if the truck driver was just an idiot, or both. I see stuff like this every day on the DC Beltway minus the pyrophorics.

What I can't get over here are the numbers of idiots standing around while stuff explodes and shrapnel is flying through the air.

Wonder what the story was on the small car that stayed put, too. Maybe that driver hoofed it out?
Last edited by Rufus T. Firefly on Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

Seaboard Air Line Fan

Postby Seaboard Air Line Fan » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:49 am

Looked like some of North Korea's missile launches :shock:
BobD aka Drifty

The Crow Flies At Midnight

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:42 pm

To me, the biggest horsespatoot was the driver in the opposite lanes, in the left foreground, right next to the divider, stopped on what was hardly a "shoulder," long enough to record the event and gawk, all while traffic coming in his direction was waiting to proceed. At least, he did pull off after a while.
Last edited by MurphOnMillerAve on Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:16 pm

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:.........to record the advent and gawk...........

Fits right in the middle of today's bell curve........and they breed!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

up148

Postby up148 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:50 pm

Not sure what kind of compressed gases were in the bottles, but the old tales I heard might not be totally true. I was told if these bottles lost the regulator while filled with gas they could launch like rockets and go hundreds of feet. This is not a serene scenario, but a lot less violent than I anticipated.

BH

webenda

Postby webenda » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:07 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:

Fits right in the middle of today's bell curve........and they breed!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And vote.
----Wayne----

Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard

up148

Postby up148 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:19 pm

webenda wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:

And vote.

Trying to get some exclusive video and get their 15 minutes of fame. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: And if they should be injured, they would scream bloody murder and sue everyone in sight. :( :( :( :(

BH

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:21 pm

up148 wrote:Not sure what kind of compressed gases were in the bottles, but the old tales I heard might not be totally true. I was told if these bottles lost the regulator while filled with gas they could launch like rockets and go hundreds of feet. This is not a serene scenario, but a lot less violent than I anticipated.

That can happen. I know of a few instances where the tank went down the hall not unlike a topedo.

But you never ship or transport gas cylinders with regulators attached and the main valve has to have the cap screwed on covering that same valve.

up148

Postby up148 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:44 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
up148 wrote:Not sure what kind of compressed gases were in the bottles, but the old tales I heard might not be totally true. I was told if these bottles lost the regulator while filled with gas they could launch like rockets and go hundreds of feet. This is not a serene scenario, but a lot less violent than I anticipated.

That can happen. I know of a few instances where the tank went down the hall not unlike a topedo.

But you never ship or transport gas cylinders with regulators attached and the main valve has to have the cap screwed on covering that same valve.

We deal with numerous compressed gas bottles dealing in aircraft parts Many years ago I've saw a halon fire extinguisher bottle shoot out a hangar door and careen down the asphalt parking lot until it struck a car. Fast forward a few years and had a mechanic try to discharge a fire bottle (always a big no-no and we pay to have them discharged) by securing one of the mounting ears in a large vice.....not. It spun around jumping like one of those fireworks that skips and dances, narrowly missing another fellows head. Luckily no one was injured in either instance, but both guys lost their jobs. Darwin award wanna be's can look elsewhere for work. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

BH

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:52 pm

up148 wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:

We deal with numerous compressed gas bottles dealing in aircraft parts Many years ago I've saw a halon fire extinguisher bottle shoot out a hangar door and careen down the asphalt parking lot until it struck a car. Fast forward a few years and had a mechanic try to discharge a fire bottle (always a big no-no and we pay to have them discharged) by securing one of the mounting ears in a large vice.....not. It spun around jumping like one of those fireworks that skips and dances, narrowly missing another fellows head. Luckily no one was injured in either instance, but both guys lost their jobs. Darwin award wanna be's can look elsewhere for work. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Dim bulbs indeed. Luckily nothing flammable or corrosive. I just cleared out my "collection" of HCl gas cylinders and the last ammonia cylinder. I never had much in the way of really bad stuff in cylinders in my labs. Tried to minimize that from happening - disposal costs can be greater than the acquisition costs.

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:05 pm

I believe the bottle that are exploding are Acetylene used with oxygen for cutting torches.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:09 pm

HONDO74 wrote:I believe the bottle that are exploding are Acetylene used with oxygen for cutting torches.

Ok, how can you tell? My eyes are not that good as to be able to read or see that level of detail.

I guess one should be able to look up the police report on the accident?

webenda

Postby webenda » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:18 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:I guess one should be able to look up the police report on the accident?

It happened on the Moscow's Ring Road at ИВАНОВСКОЕ (Ivanovo) exit on July 13, 2013 at 7:59 PM. Several Russian internet users tried to find the police report but failed. Are Russian police reports public records? If you want to try it, do the search in Russian.

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:But you never ship or transport gas cylinders with regulators attached and the main valve has to have the cap screwed on covering that same valve.

You can see they have their caps on in one of the videos. They are also secured to prevent them from tipping over but on impact the entire truck box failed with some tanks falling out of the bottom of the box (or maybe they are dropping out the front.)
You can also see the color of the cylinders. Orange is Cyclopropane, Flammability code: 4

Some little tanks are seen rolling on the road. Brown cylinders are Helium.
----Wayne----

Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard

Return to “The Club Car Lounge”