Photobucket

Play nice and have fun...
healey36

Photobucket

Postby healey36 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:42 pm

So what's up with Photobucket now? Have they really changed the model such that you can't share photo's unless you have a paid subscription? Looks like that's what it says now in the 'Terms of Use" documentation...

Healey

robert.

Re: Photobucket

Postby robert. » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:59 pm

I'm in the process of removing all my photo with photobucket. Too many problems. Half the time i can't log on. I think one problem might be my ad blocker. I get it they want to turn a profit but i don't need it. I'll move to image shack Every forum i visit this has come up as a topic. Most agree it's time to move on from PB.
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:26 pm

healey36 wrote:So what's up with Photobucket now? Have they really changed the model such that you can't share photo's unless you have a paid subscription? Looks like that's what it says now in the 'Terms of Use" documentation...

Appears that a free account that you can use to store and link to is no longer available as of yesterday.........

Last revised June 28, 2017

From the TOU:

Types of Accounts, Pricing and Limits

Visiting : There is no cost to visit the Site or to register as a Member.
Free account : Each individual Member gets one free account that provides 2 GB of free storage or space available for your original photo files, or videos under 10min. The free account does not allow any image linking or 3rd party image hosting. If a free account Member exceeds their Content Limit, their account will be immediately suspended and they will need to become a “Paying Member” (defined below) in order to continue accessing their account. You can upgrade to a Plus account at any time.
Ad-free Account : The Ad-free Account offers Members the ability to use the Site without seeing any third party banner advertisements when logged into your Ad-free Account (note, viewers of your images within Photobucket will see ads unless they, too, have Plus accounts and you will continue to see Photobucket offers and announcements). This account level is available for $2.49 / month, payable by the Member on a monthly recurring basis.
Plus Account : The Plus Account offers several paid options that may give the Paying Member more storage, bandwidth, 3rd party image hosting, image linking and/or other services as outlined below. Once and during such period of time in which you subscribe to and pay for a Plus Account, we will consider you a "Paying Member." Please note that all Plus Account subscriptions are billed annually at the commencement of the service. Photobucket may also offer a monthly billing option for its Plus Accounts (see terms and restrictions, below).
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

webenda

Postby webenda » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:52 pm

I have a free account. I'll try linking to an image stored in Photobucket and post it here:=> Image
Seems to be working for me.

Well, it worked on an off for a couple days, now off all the time.

Edit 1: Updated to reveal the awful truth... Photobucket has broken the link to myriads and myriads of photos worldwide.
I wish to thank Photobucket for this change in policy. Now I will quit wasting my time trying use Photobucket. It was getting harder and harder to use as more and more advertising pop-ups appeared despite my Pop-up blocker being turned on.
Last edited by webenda on Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
----Wayne----

Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard

robert.

Postby robert. » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:20 pm

still working

healey36

Postby healey36 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:43 pm

Some of my stuff still shows up, others get the 3rd Party Hosting death message. I saw they amended their "Terms of Use"...at some level it feels like extortion.

webenda

Postby webenda » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:56 pm

:|
Last edited by webenda on Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
----Wayne----

Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard

robert.

Postby robert. » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:56 am

robert. wrote:Image
still working

It worked for an hour!

healey36

Postby healey36 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:45 pm

webenda wrote:One hundred percent Robert!

I hardly use Photobucket. That must be why I can still link to my images.

The reason I all but quit using Photobucket is because of the limited time I have to post or retrieve an image before piles and piles of advertising lock the site for me. Bob Turner complained about the advertising overwhelming his computer--I think last year.

What are you using as an alternative, Wayne? Is it still possible to embed photo's directly here or do you have to link from an external repository?

Roy

Postby Roy » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:07 pm

healey36 wrote:What are you using as an alternative, Wayne? Is it still possible to embed photo's directly here or do you have to link from an external repository?

I've always used Flickr, but since Yahoo was gobbled up by Verizon, they may have changed, too. Look up "photo hosting", for more alternatives.
Torturers, White Racists, Gay Bashers, Rich Psychopaths.

webenda

Postby webenda » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:51 pm

healey36 wrote:
webenda wrote:I hardly use Photobucket.

What are you using as an alternative, Wayne? Is it still possible to embed photo's directly here or do you have to link from an external repository?

I was so impressed with how Christopher Eposito uses "flickr" that I gave it a try.

What do I like about it?
1) Free
2) No advertising
3) Several ways to organize photos in files
4) Fast
5) Choice of image size and format for posting (MTJ requires a different image format than CTT)
6) Can make any or all images private
7) Easy to learn
'8) Online photo editing feature
--NOTE--edit photo feature on the Flickr photo page is currently disabled pending an upgrade.
9) That reminds me, every time Flickr upgrades it just gets better
10) Plays well with Windows 10
11) Plays well with Google Chrome

No, you cannot embed photo's directly here using flickr. What you put here is a link to the image on flickr. Hosting your photos somewhere else is the preferred way to post images. Embedding directly uses up MTJ storage space.

Sample image from my flickr account.
Last edited by webenda on Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
----Wayne----

--Merle Haggard

Tom Dempsey

Postby Tom Dempsey » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:57 pm

Wayne, How can it be free and no advertising? Serious question here, I just figure everything's got to be paid for some way or how.

webenda

Postby webenda » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:01 pm

Tom Dempsey wrote:Wayne, How can it be free and no advertising? Serious question here, I just figure everything's got to be paid for some way or how.

I have no idea but I sure am enjoying the ride while it is free.
----Wayne----

--Merle Haggard

healey36

Postby healey36 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:57 pm

webenda wrote:
No, you cannot embed photo's directly here using flickr. What you put here is a link to the image on flickr. Hosting your photos somewhere else is the preferred way to post images. Embedding directly uses up MTJ storage space.

Yup, that's the way I was using Photobucket...post a link back to the stored file.

Thanks, maybe I'll give Flickr a try. I guess the only risk is what is going to happen with Yahoo (owner of Flickr).

webenda

Postby webenda » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:30 pm

webenda wrote:I have a free account. I'll try linking to an image stored in Photobucket and post it here:=> Image
Seems to be working for me.

I have been had by Photobucket. :evil:
----Wayne----

--Merle Haggard

Return to “The Club Car Lounge”