Question

Play nice and have fun...
rogruth

Re: Question

Postby rogruth » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:43 pm

Because AlGgore has convinced many that we are killing the polar bears.
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:51 pm

rogruth wrote:Because AlGgore has convinced many that we are killing the polar bears.

But don't we have to burn fossil fuels to make electricity?
And. People don't seem to be too fond of nuclear reactors for electric power generation (Chernobyl springs to mind, as well as a reactor that went critical in Japan,) right?

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:59 pm

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:Question regarding electric vehicles (I am alarmed to have heard, just recently, that Mercedes has a plan to move substantially toward electric cars in the near future :roll: :evil: ):

The recent hurricanes. Folks are told to get out of their homes and move away from the storms. Everyone takes to the highways and promptly get bogged-down in inch-along traffic. Gasoline-propelled cars run out of gas, eventually. However, they sure can go farther than electric-powered cars. In an even shorter time, the electrics are stranded. AND THEN the whole area loses electricity! The electric-powered vehicles can't even go/get towed anywhere to benefit by getting recharged. Those drivers are stranded any way you look at it. And even the recharging would take hours.

And some of us want this technology? :o :( WHY? :shock:

The technology is being pushed so we can eliminate burning fossil fuels which they say is the cause of global warming. And according to the lame stream media it is global warming that caused the last 2 hurricanes. :?: :? :mrgreen:

If they can come up with some type of battery that will last a lot longer then they will be have longer range cars. I can see smaller electric cars as viable for large cities with a short commute for work. And with self driving cars a person gets in it in the morning and tells it to take them to work. The car drops them off at the front door and then it goes and parks itself. Send a signal to it from your $1000 iPhone and it picks you up at the end of work. :mrgreen:

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:01 pm

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:
rogruth wrote:Because AlGgore has convinced many that we are killing the polar bears.

And. People don't seem to be too fond of nuclear reactors for electric power generation (Chernobyl springs to mind, as well as a reactor that went critical in Japan,) right?

No, we are going to blanket the country with wind generators and solar panels. :wink: :mrgreen:

China is the largest producers of electric cars in the world.

They are also in the process of building a 1000 coal fired power plants. They don't have to comply with the Paris accord that they signed until 2030. Cheap power and cheap labor, that's how you become the number one world economy.
Last edited by HONDO74 on Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:06 pm

HONDO74 wrote:
MurphOnMillerAve wrote:

No, we are going to blanket the country with wind generators and solar panels. :wink: :mrgreen:

I have noticed them popping-up when I drive across Pennsylvania, from NJ to Pittsburgh, esp. along Rt.30 and/or the PA Turnpike. Seems a good idea, given the wind in those old Appalachians.

I wonder if it would be possible to install an ever-expanding line of them along the east Atlantic, especially considering the wind that pushes at the coastline so consistently. Imagine if we could have them in-place when hurricanes occur, generating electricity for storage and later use, harvesting some considerable good out of the devastating (!)

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:17 pm

Unfortunately when the wind gets past a certain speed the turbines have to be shut down or they will destroy themselves

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:23 pm

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:

Have to, no. We choose to because it's American way.....unlike for instance France being ~80% nuclear for electricity. They made a decision decades ago to be independent of fossil fuels and being held hostage by the producers of oil & gas.

Yeah, those did a great propaganda job for the no-nukes crowd and just when reactors here were going to get re-licensed and even maybe new ones built, there's an earthquake and then a tsunami that takes out the one in Japan...........
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:26 pm

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:
HONDO74 wrote:
MurphOnMillerAve wrote:But don't we have to burn fossil fuels to make electricity?

I have noticed them popping-up when I drive across Pennsylvania, from NJ to Pittsburgh, esp. along Rt.30 and/or the PA Turnpike. Seems a good idea, given the wind in those old Appalachians.

I wonder if it would be possible to install an ever-expanding line of them along the east Atlantic, especially considering the wind that pushes at the coastline so consistently. Imagine if we could have them in-place when hurricanes occur, generating electricity for storage and later use, harvesting some considerable good out of the devastating (!)

There are limits on numbers per unit space and limits on tolerated wind speed on use. I'll be putting solar panels up on my place in PA eventually.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:29 pm

HONDO74 wrote:I can see smaller electric cars as viable for large cities with a short commute for work.

That's where they have the best chance of success - large cities with limited parking, etc. Put the charging ports in the parking garages.

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:22 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
HONDO74 wrote:I can see smaller electric cars as viable for large cities with a short commute for work.

That's where they have the best chance of success - large cities with limited parking, etc. Put the charging ports in the parking garages.

As more of these electric cars get produced the better the technology will be to improve them. Cutting down on air pollution in big cities is a very good idea. I wouldn't mind having one for short trips and as a grocery getter.

GM is selling a $5,000 electric car in China
http://money.cnn.com/2017/08/07/autos/g ... index.html

Kind of looks like one of those smart cars. :wink: :lol:

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:26 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
MurphOnMillerAve wrote:
HONDO74 wrote:

There are limits on numbers per unit space and limits on tolerated wind speed on use. I'll be putting solar panels up on my place in PA eventually.

Here is a very good thread on another forum about solar panels from people that have them and what to expect from them.
http://www.modeltrainforum.com/showthread.php?t=136321

rex desilets

Postby rex desilets » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:08 pm

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:Question regarding electric vehicles (I am alarmed to have heard, just recently, that Mercedes has a plan to move substantially toward electric cars in the near future :roll: :evil: ):

The recent hurricanes. Folks are told to get out of their homes and move away from the storms. Everyone takes to the highways and promptly get bogged-down in inch-along traffic. Gasoline-propelled cars run out of gas, eventually. However, they sure can go farther than electric-powered cars. In an even shorter time, the electrics are stranded. AND THEN the whole area loses electricity! The electric-powered vehicles can't even go/get towed anywhere to benefit by getting recharged. Those drivers are stranded any way you look at it. And even the recharging would take hours.

And some of us want this technology? :o :( WHY? :shock:
Because it makes folks feel all virtuous and all.
“Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.” – John Adams

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:16 pm

HONDO74 wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:

As more of these electric cars get produced the better the technology will be to improve them. Cutting down on air pollution in big cities is a very good idea. I wouldn't mind having one for short trips and as a grocery getter.

They should fill a niche. If you remember the air pollution over the major cities in China in the not so distant past, it's pretty easy to see how such a vehicle would make sense.

125 years ago we were a horse driven transportation society and we chose to go where we are and assemble all of the infrastructure to support it. We only stop ourselves from change and forward where it makes sense.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:22 pm

HONDO74 wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
MurphOnMillerAve wrote:I have noticed them popping-up when I drive across Pennsylvania, from NJ to Pittsburgh, esp. along Rt.30 and/or the PA Turnpike. Seems a good idea, given the wind in those old Appalachians.

Here is a very good thread on another forum about solar panels from people that have them and what to expect from them.
http://www.modeltrainforum.com/showthread.php?t=136321

Well, yes. Almost all of the really good incentives were killed 16 years ago......like the power company being required to buy back everything at peak load costs....

But in my specific case the house where I'll put them is not used more than 2 days a week, there's no air conditioner, and the only thing that runs 24/7 is the refrigerator that I just dragged outside to dispose of. When I'm not there, that's it. So the overwhelming majority of time, I'll use zero of the solar generated power. And the solar system is sitting on the back porch waiting for me to get up on the roof........I do hate that part.

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:34 pm

Another problem with the windmill turbines are the NIMBYs.
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

Return to “The Club Car Lounge”