Regarding Rufus the Astronaut Frog

Play nice and have fun...
Rufus T. Firefly

Re: Regarding Rufus the Astronaut Frog

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:39 pm

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:The only alcoholic beverage that ever caused me to need rolling home was a 6-pak 'o beer (circa1964) which was nearly the last beer ever for me , despite its near-cult status on this forum. I always found the flavor boring and useless, and the dull high not worth the ensuing pain. :mrgreen:

I can only begin to imagine the amazingly bad quality of what that beer might have been then. The Horror, the horror......
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:51 pm

I agree with Rufus. There is some really good beer.
I'll bet Murph was drinking Iron City, Fort Pitt, Dukane (Duquesne) or some other Pittsburgh beer.
They were almost as good for headaches and hangovers as one from my hometown, Old Steamboat
which we thought was brewed in the boiler of an old steamboat.It was of the same quality as that
famous brew made from Louisville sewer water, Fall City.
Now when you had a hangover from my friends grandmothers wine you smiled and remembered
the great taste and enjoyment that you had with it.
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:58 pm

The likely (college-popular) suspects would have been (from my perspective, even then, the swill kings:) Pabst; Bud; Miller; Iron City; Fort Pitt, and as Roger just reminded me: Duke !!!!

But all those days and preferences are, now, long gone, thanx to a laparoscopic cholecystectomy changing the landscape totally when it comes to ever having one drop of any of it again. Oh well, at least I'll lose less brain cells, huh.
Last edited by MurphOnMillerAve on Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:05 pm

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:The likely (college-popular) suspects would have been (from my perspective, even then, the swill kings:) Pabst; Bud; Miller; Iron City; Fort Pitt, and as Roger just reminded me: Duke !!!!

Murph,
I was thinking more of where you were from and not where you went to college. :oops:
Those were still the biggies in that area when I lived there.
roger

I support thread drift.

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:10 pm

rogruth wrote:
MurphOnMillerAve wrote:The likely (college-popular) suspects would have been (from my perspective, even then, the swill kings:) Pabst; Bud; Miller; Iron City; Fort Pitt, and as Roger just reminded me: Duke !!!!

Murph,
I was thinking more of where you were from and not where you went to college. :oops:
Those were still the biggies in that area when I lived there.

Yes, (no need for red-face) :D adolescence and college days, in PA and Ohio, still had all of them as occasional favorites, until the Big Hurl Day. Don't forget, in Summers I'd return to the hometown area for more swilling . And eventually I grew up and deleted the vomitorium experiences (at least, from beer pigouts.)

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:48 pm

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:..........the swill kings....

Hideous; not even drinkable - swill is a complement for much of it.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:17 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
MurphOnMillerAve wrote:..........the swill kings....

Hideous; not even drinkable - swill is a complement for much of it.

I wish that in my yute I had known about such things a beer standards. I just thought it had to be wet and endured on its way down; then, out.

robert.

Postby robert. » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:24 pm

This is why we drink ice cold beer. It kills the taste. The English drink warm beer because Lucas makes their refrigerators.
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

John Webster

Postby John Webster » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:07 am

I recall Stroh's as being the beer that produced the most toxic aftereffects. Spent a spring day in my 20s stacking tires at Nelson"s Ledges Race Course in intermittent snow showers. Some promotion from the previous year had left pallets of Iron City behind which we enthusiastically disposed of. With the effort involved in moving water and ice filled tires around the landscape we weren't aware of any effects from the alcohol content.

The really cheap beers available in the area were Sail and Top Hat. Another local favorite was Old Frothingslosh, "the foam on the bottom beer" which featured bikini clad beauties in the 300 pound range on it's cans.
You begin flying with a full bag of luck and an empty bag for experience. The object is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:06 am

But John, Old Frothingschloss (sp?) was a delicacy and should not be considered in the same way as the others mentioned. :D :D
roger

I support thread drift.

Mitch

Postby Mitch » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:24 am

Beer, (and the taste of it), is a matter of personal taste. Strohs, Iron City, Miller, Duquesne and Bud have been mentioned, and I'll drink any of them except for the Bud. If I drink two bottles of Bud, I may as well drink the whole case 'cause I'm gonna feel just as bad in the morning. And I don't know how folks can drink warm beer. (Don't get me wrong; I've awakened in the car in the early summer mornings with the sun blasting through the windshield and the temp inside the car at about 120 degrees, and slugged down half a can just to wet the whistle). But I prefer cold beer, the colder the better, less any ice. But different folks have different tastes. For example, Rufus prefers ales with 11% or more alcohol content, that have been aged in a wooden barrel and stored in the sun for last umpteen years :lol: , and the barrels probably had some caustic substance stored in them before the beer. :lol:
If you agree with the Progressives, it's freedom of speech. If you disagree, it's hate speech. There are no alternatives.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:58 am

Mitch wrote:......and the barrels probably had some caustic substance stored in them before the beer. :lol:

Yes, bourbon.

Return to “The Club Car Lounge”